• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Showerthoughts: What small thing has had the largest impact on the Cdn Army?

Bzzliteyr

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I came up with this thought this morning:

Smallest thing that has had the biggest impact on our Canadian army?

The Tim Hortons in the Canex in Wainwright.

With the amount of people exercising through that base, there's no doubt it has affected morale.

Thoughts?

Moving into the Information Age

The amount of planning, materials, staff hours, training, money and time we throw into maintaining a Digitized force is staggering.

That doesn't even factor in the amount of Morale Comms we now provide for the same reason.

The quote in my signature block sums it up pretty nicely.

rmc_wannabe said:

The amount of planning, materials, staff hours, training, money and time we throw into maintaining a Digitized force is staggering.

That doesn't even factor in the amount of Morale Comms we now provide for the same reason.

What about all the extra man hours responding to badly written emails, misdirected requests, improperly filled filled form 12345 when is should have been the new, revised form 12346, etc?

Oh wait, I didn't specify "positive" or "negative" impact. What does yours fall under?

Bzzliteyr said:
What about all the extra man hours responding to badly written emails, misdirected requests, improperly filled filled form 12345 when is should have been the new, revised form 12346, etc?

Oh wait, I didn't specify "positive" or "negative" impact. What does yours fall under?

Depends who you ask and how long they've been in ;)

Digital Native vs. Digital Immigrant and all that jazz.

rmc_wannabe said:

I had that discussion with a peer that just came from one of the desks in the J3 shop in CJOC.  One of the first questions he normally gets is was is the connectivity or what is the connectivity plan and the folks ain't talking about DWAN.

What small thing has had the largest impact on the Cdn Army?

A)  The penis size of whoever in Ottawa is behind introducing all the mindless badge changes (and now, flag changes);

B)  [Alternate charge to A...]  Chain of command being able to "cut & paste" without thinking.

OPP.

It changed us from being a command centric military to a staff centric process military.

It has bloated Op orders from something readable in a trench to multi-volume sets.

SeaKingTacco said:
OPP.

It changed us from being a command centric military to a staff centric process military.

It has bloated Op orders from something readable in a trench to multi-volume sets.

Accompanied by endless, unintelligible even to the presenters, PowerPoint slides.

I would suspect the biggest change has been the ability to stay in touch with your families while deployed.

daftandbarmy said:
Accompanied by endless, unintelligible even to the presenters, PowerPoint slides.

Nothing is quite as fun as sitting in lectures all day looking at slides full of tiny text, while someone self important drones on and on reading every word on the slide.

Colin P said:
I would suspect the biggest change has been the ability to stay in touch with your families while deployed.
I`m amazed at the progress.

Cyprus = 1 phone call per month for 10 minutes
Croatia = once per week for 10-15 minutes IIRC
Bosnia = when ever the phone booth was unoccupied.

I have no idea what happens now. Mike used to call us on a SAT phone from a FOB.

PDR and PER process. 

Lots of Political Correctness and paperwork getting in the way of real leadership action.

Hamish Seggie said:
I`m amazed at the progress.

Cyprus = 1 phone call per month for 10 minutes
Croatia = once per week for 10-15 minutes IIRC
Bosnia = when ever the phone booth was unoccupied.

I have no idea what happens now. Mike used to call us on a SAT phone from a FOB.

In the past 5 deployments (operation and international exercises) I have supported post Afghanistan, We usually are providing raw internet off the bearer link for folks to Facebook or Email daily/hourly/minute by minute.

I once Facetimed with my wife on her birthday from a field in rural Romania. Singing Happy Birthday in almost real time is revolutionary from a morale standpoint. :p

Back