• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shots ring out around Toronto

Hatchet Man said:
Did anyone watch the news, I missed it.   All I saw on pulse24.com was that Chief Blair issued a statement that he ordered the Guns and Gangs squad to step it up a bit.   Fantino would have held at least one press conference to reassure citizens and to appeal for witnesses. Blair so far has been MIA, which is a little troubling.

Im glad Fantino is gone. But thats a whole new discussion  ;D Lets watch and shoot on Blair- maybe when the details come out further they'll be more to say.

BeadWindow said:
Im glad Fantino is gone. But thats a whole new discussion   ;D Lets watch and shoot on Blair- maybe when the details come out further they'll be more to say.

There have been 15 shootings this month (not including, last night incident where the cop had there own gun pulled on them), two ended up as homocides, one incident a 12 year old boy was shot, and another incident were the cops themselves were shot at several times while on patrol.  If these events added to last night do not equal an immdiate press conference by the Chief or one of his Deputies (and not some officer assigned to PA, but someone with command authority) what does.  The media are going to start spinning this very badly for the chief, which will cause him to loss support unless he gets right out in the public with some reasurrance that the baddies will be caught.

He doesn't need to be Fantino, but he does needs to show some leadership by showing his face and soon.

Add one more shooting, but this time at Square One...unsure of the details just heard it in passing.

It was in front of the TD and Walmart.  I used to work at that Walmart, so this kind of hits close to home.

Hmmm....so much for the much-ballyhooed "culture of safety" brought to you at your own great expense by the the Liberal Goverment, eh?  Can we safely assume that none of the firearms used in the series of Toronto shootings was duly registered?  I thought so.....

Now, I don't want to be the one to stir the pot, but let's just say that the decent, law-abiding citizens of Toronto finally get fed up with being targets on a one-way range and begin to arm themselves for self-protection.  And then we see succession of incidents where irresponsible criminal gun-play is rapidly terminated by said suitably-armed citizens.  Hmmmm....dont'cha think that the scum-bags might start to think twice?  Such an approach (albeit with government blessing) seems to have worked wonders in lowering violent crime rates within the many U.S. states which have legalized concealed-carry for law-abiding and suitably-trained citizens. 

Something to think about.  "Take back the streets", so to speak.  But not with binoculars and frantic phone calls to a law enforcement agency that takes 2 hours to respond after the fact.  Oh, no.  Take back the streets by shooting the very same scum-bags who would dare threaten the law-abiding with their random violence.  Trust me - that crap would stop right quick if every time some gang-banger started flinging poorly-placed rounds all over a neighborhood, he was promptly dispatched by 2 to centre of mass and one to the noggin delivered by a properly trained citizen.

Radical?  Only if you are content living with the notion of your children killed in some utterly pointless gang-banger drive-by.....

Something to think about.  It seems to work just jim-dandy in the vast majority of states down south. 

Mark C said:
Such an approach (albeit with government blessing) seems to have worked wonders in lowering violent crime rates within the many U.S. states which have legalized concealed-carry for law-abiding and suitably-trained citizens.  

Do you have stats that this is the reason US gun crimes are in the decline?
Frankly, the States level of violence scares the heck out of me, even though it is improving. And I sure don't want citizens opening up like Yonge street is a free-fire zone. Bullets wander around after being fired, and have a tendency to stick in any body they encounter.

Not US bashing here, just to noticing that the murder rate in many mid or large US cities exceeds the homicide rate in our entire country, and most of them are handgun related.
From the US Bureau of Justice website (2003 stats were the latest I could find) :
"The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 67% of the 16,503 murders in 2003 were committed with firearms."
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/weapons.htm
This is actually an increase of shooting deaths, after a downward trend.

By contrast, of 548 Homicides in Canada in 2003, only 161 were handgun related, which is about, what, 29% or so?
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/legal01.htm

Still too darn many and I totally agree something needs to be done, but if you want to hold up the US approaches as an example, I would like to see some proof it's better than say, Japan's approach (whatever that is...)

To say nothing of the fact that the right to bear arms has been a part of America forever.  You all of a sudden say that Canadians can carry concealed firearms, and I guarantee a spike in murders, accidental deaths, and firearms related problems.  We as a Canadian society are not prepared socially for a concealed carry environment.

BeadWindow said:
Im glad Fantino is gone. But thats a whole new discussion   ;D Lets watch and shoot on Blair- maybe when the details come out further they'll be more to say.

Being the super high-speed cop that you are in Edmonton you'd know all about Chief Fantino right...?!

Slim said:
Being the super high-speed cop that you are in Edmonton you'd know all about Chief Fantino right...?!

Cute stuff slim.   ::)   I know about Fantino because my Uncle was a Det. in Toronto, he retired this year. He knows Fantino quite well.

Who polices the police around here? Never been warned, provided everyone with service numbers and regs, used my REAL name and I still get ****heads like yourself taking jabs.   im just Navy right now. And I havent said anything to the contrary. PM if you feel like trying to accuse me of something. I offer my opinion with regards to law enforcement on topics I have first hand knowledge.

Quote from Beadwindow,

Cute stuff slim.  Being a security guard who plays himself off as a "bodyguard" is better right? I know about Fantino because my Uncle was a Det. in Toronto, he retired this year because of his wounds recieved in the LOD. Who polices the police around here?

Actually, "Wet Grunt", err,  I mean "Rope tech", err I mean "Aaron White", err I mean "Gone" err I mean "world class poser" [oops sorry that was our name for you] OK right,...its Beadwindow now.....the only reason you are still here is you snuck back in on a technicality and Mr. Bobbitt has a large heart.
You haven't learned a thing with the public "outings" etc. You still come here and dare spout off about someone "playing himself off"...you are pathetic.
Whats funny is you are partially right except you have it backwards,  I know what Slim does, he is a bodyguard who, in the "real" world  plays himself off as just an ordinary security guard.
You on the other hand.........ahh, not worth it, I will try and colden Mr. Bobbitt's heart.

Nobody has "outed" anything "Bruce". All my regs have been sent and even my real name given. Suck it up. Id also like to point out- if its sucha crime to change your name on this forum why have the option to? Its not like im hopping accounts.

No, you know the real story. You were banned but someone missed your other account and you snuck back in after a time.
The funny thing is that we wouldn't even have noticed but your posts still brought you to the attention of the Moderators and a quick check and, well there you were, again.
Goodbye, again.......

Bruce Monkhouse said:
No, you know the real story. You were banned but someone missed your other account and you snuck back in after a time.
The funny thing is that we wouldn't even have noticed but your posts still brought you to the attention of the Moderators and a quick check and, well there you were, again.
Goodbye, again.......

Oh my...  No personal encounters to rant about, but I definitely smell a "LOSER".  To coin an old cliche, "don't go away mad, just go away.".  The last thing that this site needs is some "wannnabe" who pretends to be something that he/she is not.  The vast majority who post here are exactly who they say they are, and those who have been around a while have been verified by their peers and associates.  After all, it is a very small Army that we belong to. 

If you have changed your profile name multiple times on Army.ca over the past couple of years, one has to seriously wonder why.  Is it because your lies under other user-names were found out and you had to adopt a new persona?  Or are you merely afflicted with a multiple personality disorder?  Either way, I now know your "Beadwindow" profile name (very "hush, hush", BTW)  and shall disregard anything that you post.  Not that it likely matters to a self-indulgent wannabe.....

Best of luck in your next "sniperninja" incarnation....  Don't go away angry - just do us all a favour and go away.

SeanPaul_031 said:
Church st and dundas st, Im not surprised, this area is crackhead central of Toronto

Huh? Come again. I live in at this corner, (remember I posted earlier I saw the shooting) and I'd love to know whgere you're getting your info from. I've been here about ten years now and the area hasn't been like that for some time now, at least 5-6 years. The influx of condos and other apt building, small business and the expansion of Ryerson more or less ensure that there are people out and about 7/24 and drug dealers and their clientele do not thrive in that kind of environment. Besides your average crack user probably can't afford the ¼ million to 1/5 million starting price for a loft condo in the Merchandise Building. I believe OCAP call what we did here â Å“gentrification.â ?

The area you're thinking of is several blocks east, Sherbourne and Dundas. That is crack central in Toronto, no arguments here.  (The other D/S on the site know what I do fro a living and should be able to confirm that that I'm in my arcs commenting on this subject)

Don't worry Danjanou, you are correct.  Sherbourne St. is really horrible, starting from Bloor St. it just gets worse the further south you go with the Dundas to Queen section taking the cake.  I know this because I worked in that area for a period of time, my armoury happens to be very very very close to Sherbourne/Queen St., and the only club I go to (Phoenix) is also on Sherbourne.  Although my vote for crappiest drug infested area would have to be Queen St W between Dufferin and Landsdowne.

Of course I'm correct between my job and the fact I live close enouigh to your armouries to hear the pipes makes me the site SME on this  ;D. Mind a fatal shooting at Dundas Square this weekend does cut into my credibility. :-[

Of course the recent spat of shootings/killings and the fact there's a major festival with a million odd people in town this weekend is just a coincidence  ::)

The thing with the downtown core as opposed to the burbs is everything including the "no go" areas" is compacted down here. A bad area like Queen/Shebourne or Bloor/Lansdowne, Queen/Lansdowne is usually only a block or two away from a "nice" neighbourhood, especially when you get into the side streets.
The concentration of public housing projects (Regent Park, Alexandria Park, Jamestown) and hostels in the corps by the NIMBY types who run this city but live in the burbs has certain consequences.

Things are also changing. The building boom and hte gentrification I spoke of earlier is changing the landscape. Look at the plans for Regent park, Canada's first and oldest public housing progect. They just started tearing down the first buildings there. In ten years you won't recognize the palce, it'll look like a version of the King West Village area.

Now excuse me I have to get back to converting the wife's flower boxes and my BBQ into a sanger.

3 more murders in 12 hours.  ::)

Weekend of blood stuns Toronto

Dundas Square shooting 1 of 3 slayings

By VIVIAN SONG AND BRETT CLARKSON, TORONTO SUN

A POLICE forensic officer combs the murder scene for clues yesterday afternoon as tourists on a sightseeing bus snap photos of the activity at Dundas Square following yesterday morning's deadly shooting there. (Greg Henkenhaf, SUN)

A BRAZEN murder in front of hundreds of police officers at Dundas Square early yesterday was one of three shooting deaths in a blood-soaked 12-hour period in Toronto.

- A thousand Caribana revellers were partying at 4.30 a.m. at Dundas and Yonge Sts. when a gunman fatally shot Dwayne Taylor, 21 of Brampton.

- Hours earlier just before midnight, Umathevan Thiyagarajah, 26, was shot dead in a plaza parking lot at Warden and Finch Aves.

- Late Saturday afternoon a man was shot to death in a low-rise apartment building in the bullet-riddled Lawrence Heights neighbourhood.

The killings bring Toronto's murder toll this year to 38. Last year at this time there were 37.

In a press conference yesterday, Staff-Insp. Jeff McGuire said not even heavy police presence could prevent the Dundas Square shooting.

"I mean, we have police officers on horses, we have hundreds of police officers in uniform, and (someone would) still choose to take someone's life."

Taylor was taken to St. Michael's Hospital, where he died from his injuries.

McGuire dismissed suggestions the shooting was a result of Caribana, and was quick to distance the West Indian festival from the violence.

"Caribana's a cultural festival for the Caribbean community to celebrate their lives, their music, their food, (and) bringing their culture to our country," McGuire said.

"Shooting people at Yonge and Dundas doesn't fit in that culture anywhere. It has nothing to do with Caribana."

McGuire said both Taylor and the suspect were known to police.

A battery of uniformed officers who had been standing guard on the perimeter of the party bolted towards the north east end of the square where the man was shot and arrested a suspect. Surveillance cameras around the square also caught the shooting.

The gunfire sent waves of partygoers running in terror toward hot-dog vendor Henry Nguyn.

"Oh my God, it looked like crazy," Nguyn said. "Everyone's scared, some people crying."

He said he heard three gunshots before the square erupted in chaos. People started running in the opposite direction of the shooting, heading west on Dundas toward Bay St.

Ajine Stewart, 24, of Mississauga, has been charged with first-degree murder and will make an appearance at Old City Hall court today.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2005/08/01/1155388-sun.html

As I said, when the "goblins" have something to fear, they will cease and desist.  The simple fact of the matter is that the "something to fear" is NOT law enforcement, who simply cannot be everywhere at once.  It is duly trained and certified civilians who are TRUSTED by the government of the land to protect themselves and the unarmed "sheep" around them when ugliness rears its head. 

Anyone heard of a bank robbery in Arizona lately where the citizenry are empowered to openly carry sidearms?  Anyone noticed that the rate of car-jackings and home-invasions (let alone simple B&Es) have dropped dramatically every single year since concealed-carry was enacted in the majority of U.S. states?

An armed (and duly licensed) society is a polite society.  Those who prey on the weak are cowards, and are far less likely to prey on the innocent if there is a better than average chance that they will be shot dead for doing so. 

We can dredge up all of the "statistics" that we like.  For every liberal-inspired argument claiming that "more guns = more dead innocents" I can offer numerous, documented accounts of armed citizens thwarting firearms-related crime.  Either through intimidation or the application of deadly force. 

Citizens with no lawful right to effectively defend themselves are nothing more than "victims in waiting".  Sadly, thanks to decades of infrequently-interrupted Liberal/utopian social engineering, Canadian citizens have been relegated to sheep....

Ask yourself this.  What are YOU going to personally be able to do (besides meekly comply, beg, and hope for the best) when criminals enter your home and threaten your loved ones?  Well???

Food for thought....

Back