• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shots ring out around Toronto

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2005/07/26/pf-1148092.html

By BRODIE FENLON AND MATTHEW KWONG, TORONTO SUN

AS MANY as five people were injured in four separate shootings that kept Toronto Police and emergency workers hopping last night.

One victim was rushed to Sunnybrook hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the groin after a shooting just after 10 p.m near Bagot Ct., in the Lawrence Ave. W. and Allen Rd. area. The area is within sight of an earlier shooting the night before on Varna Dr. that sent one man to hospital.

About half an hour later, another man was shot near the intersection of Church and Dundas Sts. One witness described hearing a "very loud hollow series of five blasts that sounded like a rifle." The male victim took one bullet in the leg.

Just after 11 p.m., police and paramedics responded to another shooting at a restaurant near Lakeshore Blvd. and Islington Ave. A male victim with multiple gunshot wounds was taken to St. Michael's hospital. His condition was not known. And yet another shooting took place at Finch Ave. W. and Weston Rd. at midnight and one person was rushed to hospital.

Pulse 24 is reporting 6 (count em 6 shootings, 7 wounded) I guess they happened after the SUN went to press.   I am wondering were our new police chief Bill Blair is on this.   We have had a number of shootings in TO recently and Blair was no were to be seen.   Fantino would have been all over this like white on rice.

The last shooting (which was in scarborough and not listed in the sun article), had 17 shots fired according to pulse24, and as per normal the victim is not co-operating with police and neither is anyone else in that neighbourhood.   Also one of shootings (the other one not listed in the SUN was actually on officer firing at a suspect in the Dundas/Spadina area.

Edit the 17 shots were fired in Dorney Court (Lawerance and Allen Rd area)

We are turning into the United States more every day.  For those Police/ MP's that frequent this site, up those officer safety skills!!  Train like you would fight, and don't let some soon to be dead member laugh at you for doing a tactical reload in the locker room at work.  When the s**t hits the fan (and always assume it will), your muscle memory will kick in.

I actually saw the tail end of the one at Dundas/Church. My Apt is about a block away and my balcony overlooks that corner. About 10:45 I was laying on the couch watching the tube when I heard the shots. At first I thought car backfire until I heard shots 2-5. Knew exactly what it was then. Killed the lights and stepped out onto the balcony. Didn't see the shooter but saw the victim hit and on the ground.

I was a little too far for a decent look (and way too far to go down and give aid, considered it but by the time I got dressed, rode the elevator etc....) besides a crowd gathered in a few seconds (there's a 24 gas bar/Tim Horton's and a sports bar right here), and the EMS were there in minutes

Funny my camera was on the coffee table and as it was closer than going for the binos in the closet I grabbed it so I could see what was going on through the telephoto lens. Watched for a bit before the domestic niner came out (shots woke her up), and told me to go to bed. :-[

Later on caught it on the news. 5 shots one hit, I tell you the average gang banger in this city really needs to work on his principles of marksmanship. ::)

Also good to know that the gun registry is making my city/neighbourhood a safer place. ::)

Danjanou said:
Also good to know that the gun registry is making my city/neighbourhood a safer place. ::)

and there it is.  Thank you Oromocto for keeping the streets safe and registered.

How much you want to bet that the shooter has a rap sheet the length of my arm.... ::)

Infanteer said:
and there it is.   Thank you Oromocto for keeping the streets safe and registered.

How much you want to bet that the shooter has a rap sheet the length of my arm.... ::)

No bet bro, no bet.

Now excuse I have to get back to turning the wife's flower boxes into a sandbagged bunker.

Hatchet Man said:
... and as per normal the victim is not co-operating with police and neither is anyone else in that neighbourhood.

This is one of the aspects of self imposed isolation against which I have railed in The Mess/Political page, see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32640/post-239906.html#msg239906

The problem starts when a community fails to achieve and maintain the normal socio-economic levels and then proclaims itself the victim and decides, for itself, that it should isolate itself from the larger society within which it has failed to advance.

It is a downwards spiral sort of thing â “ in the case of some visible minority communities exacerbated by chest-beating proclamations of guilt by the social mainstream which further reinforce the â ?It ain't my fault I failedâ ? syndrome.

(This is not, for a second, to suggest that racism and worse did not and do not exist and those attitudes and actions did not an do not contribute to the failure of many, many young black men to 'make it' in our society.)

In some communities thugs and criminal gangs have, nearly completely, displaced the established forces of order â “ armed/uniformed and civil.  Some other communities want to use organizations with close, direct links to global terrorist organizations (like the Tamil Tigers and Hezbollah) to manage 'social' affairs â “ things like schools, non-commercial-bank savings/loan agencies and clinics - inside ethnic communities in Canada.  The 'community leaders' complain that the national/provincial/municipal 'mainstream' is culturally insensitive and deficient in e.g. language skills (often true) and cannot, therefore provide adequate social services.

This self imposed isolation, resulting in de facto parallel administrations which command the loyalty of the community, is a danger to Canada because it provides a 'sea' within which terrorist, enemy agents can 'swim' to stretch one of Chairman Mao's dicta just a bit.

Shootings in TO...what this have to do with the military?

Move to Radio Chatter where it belongs.

Armymedic said:
Shootings in TO...what this have to do with the military?

Move to Radio Chatter where it belongs.

Your wish is our command.  8)

TPS has just released thier press releases for these incidents, this one got my attention real fast

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/8116.pdf
Police officer disarmed,
14 Division

Broadcast time: 11:45
Tuesday, July 26, 2005
14 Division
416−808−1400

On Monday, July 25, 2005, at approximately 10 p.m., a uniformed officer from 14 Division was
investigating a man in a laneway in the area of Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue.
It is alleged that:
− during the investigation, the officer arrested the man and a struggle ensued,
− the suspect managed to remove the officer's firearm from the holster,
− in the struggle for the firearm, the firearm discharged.

Neither the officer nor the suspect was injured by the discharged firearm. The officer was able
to regain control of his firearm and holster it.
Several passers−by assisted the officer in gaining control of the suspect.
The officer received a severe bite to his left forearm and a smaller cut to his right elbow.
The suspect received a cut to his left forearm.
Chay Luu, 28, of no fixed address, has been charged with:
1) Assault to Resist Arrest,
2) Assault Causing Bodily Harm,
3) Disarming a Police Officer
4) Obstruct Police.
The accused is being held in custody pending an immigration inquiry.

That officer is very lucky, and once again our excellent gun registry and lax immigration policies have shown their worth. :mad:

Hatchet Man said:
That officer is very lucky, and once again our excellent gun registry and lax immigration policies have shown their worth. :mad:

Much as I agree that there are serious problems both with our immigration policy (Canadian Immigration Policy being an oxymoron if ever there was one) and the notorious warm fuzzy hug gun registry I fail to see the connection you imply here.

All we know is the guy is homeless and has an Asian name. There is no indication to that there is any immigration issues here, illegal, failed refuges hiding from a deportation/removal order etc. For all we know he could be a landed immigrant, citizen, even born here of Asian heritage. 

Probably no ID/proof of status hence the routine check through Immigration.

As to the gun registry, from the account you posted he used the cop's wpn, nothing there about him having one of his own.

My bad, the gun registry comment was meant for all the shootings.  I stand by the immigration comment, I am willing to bet money he should have been/or has been deported many times before this inicident.

Hatchet Man said:
My bad, the gun registry comment was meant for all the shootings.   I stand by the immigration comment, I am willing to bet money he should have been/or has been deported many times before this inicident.

My Money is on you Hatchetman, if he was a landed immigrant, why is he homeless, why is he lurking in a alley, why is he resisting arrest and why did he grab the Officers side arm. But one thing for sure, you can bet some Bleeding Hearts Group will come to his defense. Not to mention the cost to the public for his Public Defender.

I have rousted many a Vagrant, "Yes Officer, Okay I'm Going etc.). In the Winter months they usually ask you to Book them on a Tresspassing or Loitering so they can get out of the cold and get a couple of squares. In the winter, they had a choice "Move on or Downtown".

My Money is in you Hatchetman, if he was a landed immigrant, why is he homeless, why is he lurking in a alley, why is he resisting arrest and why did he grab the Officers side arm. But one thing for sure, you can bet some Bleeding Hearts Group will come to his defense. Not to mention the cost to the public for his Public Defender.

So what are you suggesting?  We have a summary trial where he is not given access to adequate legal counsel?  All because he's perhaps non-Canadian or do you want to do this for everyone and throw away the Charter of Rights?

It wouldn't surprise me if this individual had some mental illness and thats why he was on the street.  As for him grabbing the gun, I have no idea why he would do that.

Hatchet Man said:
My bad, the gun registry comment was meant for all the shootings.   I stand by the immigration comment, I am willing to bet money he should have been/or has been deported many times before this inicident.

Yup. I as well agree. My uncle was a cop in Toronto who got shot by an illegal immigrant. Canadas immigration laws are way to lax. Just ask my other uncle....who works in immigration LOL. When they get together! :blotto:

Sheerin said:
So what are you suggesting?   We have a summary trial where he is not given access to adequate legal counsel?   All because he's perhaps non-Canadian or do you want to do this for everyone and throw away the Charter of Rights?

It wouldn't surprise me if this individual had some mental illness and thats why he was on the street.   As for him grabbing the gun, I have no idea why he would do that.

Well it didn' take long.

If he's not a Canadian or Legal Immigrant, sure give him a trail. If he's found guilty, give five years in Kingston, then get him to H..ll out of the Country.

If you don't know why he grabbed the Officers gun, I  would suggest you stay at home during the evening hours.

That Officer was real Lucky. It never ceases to amaze me there allways more concern for the Criminals Rights than the Victoms.

If you don't know why he grabbed the Officers gun, I  would suggest you stay at home during the evening hours.

That Officer was real Lucky. It never ceases to amaze me there allways more concern for the Criminals Rights than the Victoms (sic).

Why did he grab the gun?  One could hazard that he was trying to flee, hell its even possible that if he was mentally ill he didn't recognize the police officer as a police officer and thought it could have been someone trying to harm him.  There are many explanations for why he did it.  Do any justify his action?  no.  did I say they did?  no. 

Actually I have equal concern for everyone.  We have the Charter of Rights and Freedom to protect everyone, if one person has their rights violated then we as a nation are collectively violated.  We're all human and we are all entitled to same protections. 

Sheerin said:
Why did he grab the gun?   One could hazard that he was trying to flee, heck its even possible that if he was mentally ill he didn't recognize the police officer as a police officer and thought it could have been someone trying to harm him.   There are many explanations for why he did it.   Do any justify his action?   no.   did I say they did?   no.  

Actually I have equal concern for everyone.   We have the Charter of Rights and Freedom to protect everyone, if one person has their rights violated then we as a nation are collectively violated.   We're all human and we are all entitled to same protections.  

That is the problem with our current system especially in this post 9/11 world.  If you are illegaly in this country and you get caught, you should not have any Charter Rights afforded to you cept for 3 hots and cot in a holding cell until the authorities can figure out who the heck you are and where to send you back. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.  If you comit a crime, you get to have a trial and if found guiltly, well your stay will be extended only as long as the sentence then bye bye.  If acquitted, you still get a oneway ticket outof here.

Being the son of two immigrants I have no problems with people coming here and making themselves useful and productive members of society.  Freeloaders, criminals, al-queada sympathizers etc., are not welcome here period.  We have enough here who are home grown we don't need anymore. 

Add one more shooting, but this time at Square One...unsure of the details just heard it in passing.

Did anyone watch the news, I missed it.  All I saw on pulse24.com was that Chief Blair issued a statement that he ordered the Guns and Gangs squad to step it up a bit.  Fantino would have held at least one press conference to reassure citizens and to appeal for witnesses. Blair so far has been MIA, which is a little troubling.

Back