• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shots fired at CFB Kingston

Thompson_JM

Inactive
Reaction score
This has been relayed to me through a few people posted there.

Apparently there were shots fired near the officers mess. Base was on lockdown for some time. According to my friends there, the lockdown has been lifted, but some are saying the shooter is still at large.

Stay safe to everyone there, and I hope there were no casualties.

:salute:

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/06/11/lockdown-lifted-at-cfb-kingston

CFB KINGSTON
Lockdown lifted at CFB Kingston
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:24:38 EDT PM

KINGSTON - Kingston and military police remain on the scene following what is believed to have been a shooting incident on CFB Kingston.

Police first reported about a response the the base around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday with a subsequent lockdown as the threat was assessed.

Initial reports had shots being fired around in the vicinity of the Vimy Officers Mess.

An ambulance was seen entering the base as well.

The lockdown has since been lifted by police continue to investigate.

— The Whig-Standard

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/06/11/lockdown-lifted-at-cfb-kingston

KINGSTON -
Kingston Police won't confirm or deny reports that a shooting took place at CFB Kingston on Tuesday afternoon.

Shortly before 3 p.m. Kingston Police were called to the end of Signal Avenue on the south side of the military base near the Vimy Officers Mess to assist the military police with what was described as an 'incident.'

“We're not confirming at this point in time whether or not shots were fired,” said Const. Steve Koopman. “It was a priority one call, one that we should obviously attend as soon as possible.”

“Shortly before 3 p.m. we did receive a call regarding an incident on base at CFB Kingston,” added Koopman.

“We're assisting the military police with an investigation in regards into what we're describing as an incident.”

Koopman wasn't sure as of Tuesday afternoon whether the investigation will involve the Kingston Police, military police or both agencies.

“At roughly 3:30 p.m., or a little bit after, we feel the incident has been resolved meaning there's no direct threat to our knowledge to the public, specific organization or individual at this point in time,” Koopman said.

A Kingston Police cruiser was parked on Signal Avenue just south of Byng Drive on the base. The vehicle kept media and other military personnel about 75 metres away from the scene near a wooded area at the foot of Signal Avenue, just south of Princess Royal Avenue.

Kingston Police officers could be seen along the road with rifles at the ready. The Kingston Police Emergency Response Team, and canine unit, a forensic investigation officer and detectives were also dispatched.

An ambulance and paramedic supervisor SUV responded to the scene at about 3:15 pm and left about 30 minutes later in non-emergency mode.

Koopman said he wasn't sure when more information will be released.

Capt. Jennifer Faubert, public affairs officer for CFB Kingston, hinted that there may have been a fatality as a result of the incident.

“At roughly 3 (p.m.) today Kingston Police and Military Police responded to an incident on the base,” said Faubert.

“Everything is now under control, there's no danger to anybody. We can't release any details until we go through our own policies and procedures which could involve notifying the next of kin.”

And with that, it's time to caution against speculation and rumours.

Intentionally humorous, but, as events later proved, tasteless comment revoked.

You clowns do realize there was a fatality right?

If you're correct Jammer, that is sad news indeed. 

Jammer said:
You clowns do realize there was a fatality right?

Nobody does until there's an official announcement, unfortunately. So you get the gallows humour that ensues to break tension...

Gallows humour has it's place....but not in this instance.

The latest from the Whig-Standard. Re-Produced under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act.

CFB KINGSTON
Lockdown lifted at CFB Kingston
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:20:30 EDT P

KINGSTON - Canadian Forces Base Kingston went into lockdown Tuesday afternoon after a gunshot was heard.

A soldier stationed at the base was found in a wooded area shortly after the shot was heard, which drew a response from Kingston and Military Police.

The soldier died at the scene.

“Shortly before 3 p.m., we did receive a call regarding an incident on base at CFB Kingston,” said Const. Steve Koopman. “We’re assisting the military police with an investigation in regards into what we’re describing as an incident.”

While the lockdown was imposed as a precaution, no one else was harmed in the incident. The soldier took his own life.

“At roughly 3:30 p.m., or a little bit after, we feel the incident has been resolved, meaning there’s no direct threat to our knowledge to the public, specific organization or individual at this point in time,” Koopman said.

For a time, the incident drew a significant response.

A Kingston Police cruiser was parked on Signal Avenue just south of Byng Drive on the base. The vehicle kept media and other military personnel about 75 metres away from the scene near a wooded area at the foot of Signal Avenue, just south of Princess Royal Avenue.

Kingston Police officers could be seen along the road with rifles at the ready. The Kingston Police Emergency Response Team and canine unit, a forensic investigation officer and detectives were also dispatched.

An ambulance and paramedic supervisor SUV responded to the scene at about 3:15 p.m. and left about 30 minutes later in non-emergency mode.

Capt. Jennifer Faubert, public affairs officer for CFB Kingston, discussed the incident and hinted that there may have been a fatality.

“At roughly 3 (p.m.) today, Kingston Police and Military Police responded to an incident on the base,” said Faubert.

“Everything is now under control; there’s no danger to anybody. We can’t release any details until we go through our own policies and procedures, which could involve notifying the next of kin.”

ian.macalpine@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/IanMacAlpine

I've noticed when it's  military only investigating a death like this they don't often say the soldier committed suicide.

Sad news for the family.

Mods, thanks for deleting my inappropriate comment. (made when it seemed like an innocuous random gunshot).

Sad news indeed.

The Admins at Military Minds reported on their face book page that the incident at CFB Kingston involved one of their own.

R.I.P :salute:

Sad ....

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends  :salute:

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragedy.  :salute:

Pat is from Yorkton, Saskatchewan where his mother/father and sister lives. I have known pat since we were young in cubs. The world lost one of the good guys today.. As for what happened i think its best i dont mention anything as i only have heard bits of this and that and its hard getting any info from anybody about his death atm.

Back