I have no clue how he’s claiming that “cost” is a reason to ditch RCMP in Surrey. Cost would be a reason to keep them. The feds subsidize Surrey’s policing by 10%, and Mounties are paid and compensated far less than municipal forces in the region. That claim doesn’t pass the sniff test.
FYI... I assume that having a federal police force that is 90% paid for by a municipality seems like a bargain for Canada. Cost savings at the municipal level may relate to certain fixed costs, like buildings and other facilities, which they continue to pay for:
RCMP Municipal Police Service Agreements
The Municipal Police Service Agreement (PDF) between British Columbia and Canada permits the province to sub-contract the RCMP provincial force to municipalities.
There are different cost-sharing formulas for municipalities with RCMP contracts.
Municipalities with populations from 5,000 to 14,999 pay 70 percent of the cost base described in the policing agreements. The federal government pays the remaining 30 percent.
Municipalities with populations of 15,000 or more pay 90 percent of the cost base described in the policing agreements. The federal government pays the remaining 10 percent.
The costs are outlined in the agreement, including:
Members' pay and allowances
Employer contributions to member pension and benefits
Professional and special services
Recruit training costs
Some administration costs
There are some policing costs for which the municipality is 100 percent responsible, including:
Detachment buildings and cells
Civilian support staff and furniture