• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Short Days

In 33 years of service, every Unit that I have ever served with were granted "2-days Short Leave" as part of the Christmas/New Years Block leave period.  I just figured it was the civilian equivalent of the company giving you a free Turkey for Christmas and never paid much attention to it!    :p

The Christmas season that Chief Stoker and MARS talk about is the year the PS raised an unholy stink about too much time off for CAF members and it was not in-line with their benefits...or something to that effect. Pusser can outline the situation more accurately. Anyway, research was conducted, and it was found the Navy assuming "sliders" on Friday afternoons too often (base side and ship borne), to the point most considered it "an entitlement". In reality, all units were doing the same thing, which caused problems conducting any operational business after lunch on Fridays. When the Admiral cracked down that year, that same message referenced a number of "buckshee days" including "sliders" and it affected holiday leave for many. In the example of MARS' ship, they were fortunate to not be as harshly affected.

DAA said:
In 33 years of service, every Unit that I have ever served with were granted "2-days Short Leave" as part of the Christmas/New Years Block leave period.  I just figured it was the civilian equivalent of the company giving you a free Turkey for Christmas and never paid much attention to it!    :p

No, the two days special leave is the turkey equivalent.

Two days short is an additional bonus on top of that.

dapaterson said:
No, the two days special leave is the turkey equivalent.
Two days short is an additional bonus on top of that.

Awesome point!  So we could probably say we got both a "turkey" (Short Leave) and a "ham" (Special Leave)!      ;D

The direction this year in CF Europe was that everyone got two days short for each of both December and January (as well as two days special for Christmas/New Year's).

It really does vary from unit to unit and command to command, but remains within the discretion of the CO.  I also remember a time when ships did not get Short Leave at Christmas, but on the other hand, how many "Sunday routines" do we see in foreign ports?

I am pretty sure that 4 shorts for xmas/new year's leave is a big no no.  Don't have access to the regs right now but it should be in the leave manual.

caocao said:
I am pretty sure that 4 shorts for xmas/new year's leave is a big no no.  Don't have access to the regs right now but it should be in the leave manual.

You can look up the Regs.

You are allowed Two (2) Short per month.

Christmas/New Years would permit the use of Two (2) Short Lve in December and another Two (2) Short Lve in January.  Perfectly legal.

George Wallace said:
You can look up the Regs.

You are allowed Two (2) Short per month.

Christmas/New Years would permit the use of Two (2) Short Lve in December and another Two (2) Short Lve in January.  Perfectly legal.
You're both right (sort of) - the previous version of the leave manual specifically prohibited granting two sets of short leave in the same leave period. This means that the common practice of doing exactly that over Christmas was technically not permitted. The last leave manual revision eliminated this prohibition.

hamiltongs said:
You're both right (sort of) - the previous version of the leave manual specifically prohibited granting two sets of short leave in the same leave period. This means that the common practice of doing exactly that over Christmas was technically not permitted. The last leave manual revision eliminated this prohibition.

The way around that was to issue two leave passes:  one for December and one for January.  This year, we were told that such administrative subterfuge was unnecessary.  The rule is that one is limited to two days short per calendar month.  If a leave pass covers two calendar months, then two days Short Leave for each of them can be included on the same leave pass.

Pusser said:
The way around that was to issue two leave passes:  one for December and one for January.  This year, we were told that such administrative subterfuge was unnecessary.  The rule is that one is limited to two days short per calendar month.  If a leave pass covers two calendar months, then two days Short Leave for each of them can be included on the same leave pass.

In my experience staffing leave passes and taking Christmas block leave with a myriad of combat arms units, this has always been the case. I can remember maybe several years ago doing two seperate leave passes, but not recently...

hamiltongs said:

hmmmm - don't recall that.  I recall prior that you couldn't have the two short leave periods connected such as 29/30 Nov and 1/2 Dec.  I did one leave pass indicating the short leave dates with ann/wknds between them.  oops?

CountDC said:
hmmmm - don't recall that.  I recall prior that you couldn't have the two short leave periods connected such as 29/30 Nov and 1/2 Dec.  I did one leave pass indicating the short leave dates with ann/wknds between them.  oops?

???

Every Lve Pass I submitted had two dates on them: Start date and End date.

Then Lve was broken down as to how many days of each type of Lve was being used; never which specific day that type of Lve was being used on.

George Wallace said:
???

Then Lve was broken down as to how many days of each type of Lve was being used; never which specific day that type of Lve was being used on.

I would agree, however units frequently promulgate block leave plans with quite detailed specifics at to what leave is taken on what day, particularly over the Christmas period.

hamiltongs said:

:goodpost:

"9.1.02 Reckoning Time ( http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/leave-policy.page#chap9 )

Short leave is reckoned in days to a maximum of two days per calendar month.
These two days do not have to be authorized on consecutive days and may be authorized in half-day increments."

The problem we always seem to face, is convincing the CoC that the above is in fact the new policy currently in effect.  But yet, it still seems to lead to an "internal" conflict, just because someone says "That's not how I interpret this." and it get's left at that.    :facepalm:

George Wallace said:
???

If you are using monitor mass to create the leave pass, you get to decide which days are specificially short/special...etc.

sidemount said:
If you are using monitor mass to create the leave pass, you get to decide which days are specificially short/special...etc.

MM is a bottom end user tool and doesn't interact upstream with HRMS.  At the end of the day, it's all about the Clerk who will be inputting the Leave Pass into HRMS.  If HRMS won't accept the dates based on the leave codes input for whatever reason, then chances are, the leave pass will be returned for corrective action.

Heaven forbid the military uses programs that can interact with each other.

sidemount said:

Or clerks show a little adapdability and flexibility and, provided everything checks out, tricks the system to reflect the leave of the individuals, instead of burdening the CoC and individuals.

DAA said:
MM is a bottom end user tool and doesn't interact upstream with HRMS.  At the end of the day, it's all about the Clerk who will be inputting the Leave Pass into HRMS.  If HRMS won't accept the dates based on the leave codes input for whatever reason, then chances are, the leave pass will be returned for corrective action.

Clerks have been managing to enter one Christmas leave pass with 3-4 shor days into HRMS at 2 RCR now for at least the past 4x Christmas's. Whether that's because HRMS is letting them enter it as is, or whether they are doing some computer trickery (entering it as 2 leave passes) is unknown to me.

sidemount said:

Oh just you wait, "Guardian" is the CAF's upcoming gongshow ;D

ballz said:
Clerks have been managing to enter one Christmas leave pass with 3-4 shor days into HRMS at 2 RCR now for at least the past 4x Christmas's. Whether that's because HRMS is letting them enter it as is, or whether they are doing some computer trickery (entering it as 2 leave passes) is unknown to me.

You must have some pretty "dedicated" clerical staff, who can see the light in supporting Unit Ops.  Hard to find those kind of people these days.    ;)

Back