• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shipwright

MMSS

Reaction score
I wasn't able to find an answer to this through search - I have a relative in the navy who lists his occupation as shipwright - is this part of a specific trade?

OK. He's a high-ranking NCM (CPO1) if that helps. And yes, I am going to ask him about it.

edit: looking further it appears this would be the Hull Technician trade - does this sound right?

The trade name of shipwright dates to the days of sail; however, the modern proper name has been Hull Technician for as long as I've been in (almost 30 yrs).  Remnants live on though.  The trade badge for Hull Technicians is a set crossed axes - tools of the shipwright (but not so much the modern Hull Technician).

This sort of thing is common in the Navy.  We still refer to the Marine Engineering folks as "stokers," even though no one has actually stoked a boiler since before WWII.

Pusser said:
The trade name of shipwright dates to the days of sail; however, the modern proper name has been Hull Technician for as long as I've been in (almost 30 yrs).  Remnants live on though.  The trade badge for Hull Technicians is a set crossed axes - tools of the shipwright (but not so much the modern Hull Technician).

This sort of thing is common in the Navy.  We still refer to the Marine Engineering folks as "stokers," even though no one has actually stoked a boiler since before WWII.
Yes for "official" purposes I use HT, otherwise I refer to myself as a Shipwright.

Pusser said:

jollyjacktar said:
Yes for "official" purposes I use HT, otherwise I refer to myself as a Shipwright.

Thanks again gentlemen! I suppose a mod can move this to the H TECH subforum if they'd like.

Back