• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Diving Officer

tumbling_dice

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a quick question.  I've read a bunch about Navy diving on this site but I can't figure this out: is the ship's diving officer a secondary duty of a MARS Officer or is it a D-level primary duty.  Thanks a lot.

Just to make sure I understand, you can be, for example, Navigating Officer and then take the Diving Officer Course and be both (but your not a clearance diver, so no dolphins).

Tumbling_Dice,         

To clear things up, it is called Ship Team Diver Course (STD for short) not the Diving Officer Course, and it is 6 weeks in duration.  Officer's or NCM's over the rank of MS/MCpl who go on the STD course will also do an extra Supervisor portion that will allow them to be Diving Supervisor's.  Once you join your ship you may become the Ship's Diving Officer, as a Secondary Duty.  Similar to Boarding Party Officer, which is also a secondary duty.

As a qualified STD, you will be allowed to wear the STD dolphins, which is different from the Clearance Diver dolphins.

Clearance Diving Officer (CLDO) is a MARS D-level (20 month long course).  For example there are a few Navigating Officer's that have become Clearance Diving Officers as their second D-level.  Actually, until recently most CLDO's have had MARS D-level prior to volunteering for the Clearance Diver Prelim.

I hope that clears things up,
Cheers J.

That's fantastic thanks alot.

All my questions are answered, but anyone else can have at it.

You don't have to be a MARS officer to be a Ship's Diving Officer, however normally, there tends to be a large number that are MARS.

I've sailed where the A/CSEO was the Diving Officer and on another ship a MS was in the position as he was the highest ranking person onboard with a current diving qual.

So to be put on your ship's diver course, do you absolutely have to have completed your environmental and trades training? I only ask because I just OT'd to the Navy and have a fair amount of time to kill before my training begins. Would it be realistic or even possible that I would be course loaded onto the course sans naval qualifications? Also, I'm just wondering what the course itself is actually like. I've been on FDU's website but they never go into the specifics in terms of course outlines or what the average day will be like for training like this. I imagine swimming would be the overwhelmingly main thing for something like this?

Put a request form in through your chain of command. The worse they can say is no.

In addition to all the swimming, there will also be a lot of running! :pushup:

To be clear, any occupation can become a ship's diver as it is a secondary duty.  Any NCM ship's diver can become a clearance diver (provided they meet all the prerequisites), but that involves a remuster as Clearance Diver and Clearance Diver Technician are occupations unto themselves.  Although any officer occupation can become a ship's diver, in practice only MARS, NTO and LOG officers will be appointed as a ships' diving officers, simply because they are the only officer occuapations that are posted to ships.  It is not, however, uncommon to see pilots and other officers who are qualified as ships' divers.  Only MARS officers can become Clearance Diving Officers.

This is just for anyone who is looking for intel on the course. And I know that I will be repeating facts that have already been mentioned.

The STD ( Ships Team Diver ) course is a difficult one. This is a pre- req to becoming a CL DVR. It is primarily focused on PT. The instructors are almost always an LS and they are FIT! After the first week, you will train on the dive kit and do pool dives for a day. Also to note, the officers are on the same course as the NCM's. You will do the exact same thing as they, but with more responsibilities. The second week focuses on your abilities to dive and you guessed it, more PT. Plodding dives are a lot of fun. You really start to learn the kit and how to make yourself comfortable underwater. The Emergency Procedures are a real trial for some but again, lots of fun if you find yourself capable of passing them. Pay attention to your air, time and depth. Look forward to running lots. I ran 15km in my 3rd week, so be prepared. Take into account that the PT staff are there to ensure that you are in the best shape possible. You should take advantage of this as I am sure that you will be in the best shape of your life when your done. Enjoy the course. If you have any questions, PM me. Good luck to all the hopefuls. 

Back