• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ships diver course and quals

chowchow1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

Putting in my OT to naval electrician and am looking at the eventual goal of completing the ships diver course. I have my basic open water, so I know I love to dive, and would really like to take this to the next level. Also, I would like to find a qualification that I can translate into civi work as well... something that the infantry was not so great at giving me.

Once one has completed the course, what civi qualifications are granted? Can I expect to learn things like underwater welding ? This is my ultimate goal: to be able to travel the world after my 25 years ( 16 to go! ) and be able to work with the skills I have aquired, so I am looking for something that will give me a head start.

For the record, I did a search, and expected to find several topics on this, but didnt.

chowchow1 said:
Can I expect to learn things like underwater welding ?

Some discussion here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/95292.0

Alright, so no on the welding, not a problem. So, what does a ships dive team do ?

chowchow1 said:
Alright, so no on the welding, not a problem. So, what does a ships dive team do ?

Underwater hull assessments and searches, rescue, dive equipment and minor hull maintenance.  If you want to do welding and such, you need to remuster to clearance diver...after you have your Ship's Team Diver course. 

MM

Can't folks apply for Clearance Diver as part of the COTP or is a ship divers qual a pre-req?

I believe it is a pre qual.  At least I've never know anyone go Clearance without being a Ship's Diver first.

You either need Ship's Team Diver or Combat Diver (alot of CD's are ex-engineers).

MM

Thanks for the info everyone. I would love to eventually attend selection for CD, but one thing at a time.

Back