• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

So Bos'n is incorrect, then?

Journeyman said:
What does "assisting" mean? Were they employed as NBP, or were they just deployed in ATR positions where "two-way range" is an irrelevant term, similar to what the aforementioned Walter Mitty may use?
They were assisting the JTF, and the tasking was for NBP qualified personnel only.

understood... not the right forum to discuss the correct spelling of Boatswain..  however I am willing to discuss NBP with anyone. 

Marlin Spike said:
understood... not the right forum to discuss the correct spelling of Boatswain..  however I am willing to discuss NBP with anyone.

You are partially right. there were specific tasks for NBP qualified personnel only, however there were force protection and close protection tasks and many others that were filled by several other sailors. I can confirm this as i have 5 sailors currently employed by me who were there. 

Journeyman said:
There was a comment about NBP in theatre; I merely asked for details. The question was answered, (unfortunately via PM so the answer still isn't common knowledge), by winnipegoo7 and I thanked him.

Marlin Spike subsequently brought his "from the ground floor up" expertise to bear by offering the correct abbreviation for Boatswain.

If that's considered "getting ramped up," it's going to be a painful day for the 'report to mod' function.  ;)

I was thinking the milpoints groin kick you gave him, more than anything. Didn't really seem to have been provoked.

Sorry for being a new guy on here.. It seems I'm trying to get involved with a conversation that is near and dear to my heart and i have just received an email saying I'm docked 300 mil points..  If I've offended anyone i apologize..

Marlin Spike said:
Sorry for being a new guy on here.. It seems I'm trying to get involved with a conversation that is near and dear to my heart and i have just received an email saying I'm docked 300 mil points..  If I've offended anyone i apologize..

Don't worry about it man. I don't think too many people are bothered.

Marlin Spike:
Just gave them back to you (milpoints).
It is great to have someone here with the expertise that others have professed (on ocassion) to having prior to now. You have offended no one.
Personally, I am too old for NBP but I was on the old NLBP on board NIP in the late 80s. What a hoot and I KNOW the duties have changed quite dramatically even since Op APOLLO.
I do have a question-While working for DMTE in Ottawa, I had an opportunity to do 'inspections' of the 4 Fleet Schools. I was suitably impressed with CFFSE's Training mockup for NBP training. Are we in Halifax getting something similar? I know some of these projects got sidebarred with the last budget cuts as Comd RCN made it clear that the major procurement projects WOULD NOT get cut (so it has to come from somewhere I guess)? That would be a shame as the Boarding Team is generally a key element of most deployments now. I even heard of an Old Man threatening to submit a Cat1 OPDEF a couple years agao because he didn't have a full NBP complement.

Pat

Pat in Halifax said:
Marlin Spike:
Just gave them back to you (milpoints).
It is great to have someone here with the expertise that others have professed (on ocassion) to having prior to now. You have offended no one.
Personally, I am too old for NBP but I was on the old NLBP on board NIP in the late 80s. What a hoot and I KNOW the duties have changed quite dramatically even since Op APOLLO.
I do have a question-While working for DMTE in Ottawa, I had an opportunity to do 'inspections' of the 4 Fleet Schools. I was suitably impressed with CFFSE's Training mockup for NBP training. Are we in Halifax getting something similar? I know some of these projects got sidebarred with the last budget cuts as Comd RCN made it clear that the major procurement projects WOULD NOT get cut (so it has to come from somewhere I guess)? That would be a shame as the Boarding Team is generally a key element of most deployments now. I even heard of an Old Man threatening to submit a Cat1 OPDEF a couple years agao because he didn't have a full NBP complement.

Pat
Pat,  Great question.  The Naval Boarding trainer in Fleet School Esquimalt is indeed an outstanding mock up of a ship. It is used for all sorts of NBP training and is an active CEASS range for "force on force" UoF training.  As for you question regarding the CNOS getting a trainer. The answer is yes, although I'm not sure of the delivery date for the project but i will check with the boarding cell and get back to you.. I do know that the east coast Boarding cell is moving to a new location to accommodate the training and the mock-up.

Marlin Spike said:
Sounds good... Hey I'm up for a chat on Naval Boarding if anyone is into it?

Are you allowed to openly discuss what types of weapons NBPs will carry or what the makeup of the teams are?

I'd be interested to hear how they stack up (ha) against an infantry section/platoon/company in terms of fire power and maneuver elements and leadership.

IIRC, they carry SIg Sauer P226 pistols, as well as H&K MP5's.

Of course, I could be completely mis-remembering.

Marlin, can you confirm this?

jollyjacktar said:
They were assisting the JTF, and the tasking was for NBP qualified personnel only.

Just to add to this,  so no one is thinking they were out doing DAs, etc.

To my knowledge Naval pers going out on those rotos were doing Force Protection/Gate Guard for CANSOF at Graceland

*I say CANSOF, as JTF2 wasn't the only show in town for Canadian SOF in Afghanistan.

Dkeh said:

No they carry Sauer P225's for now.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Are you allowed to openly discuss what types of weapons NBPs will carry or what the makeup of the teams are?

I'd be interested to hear how they stack up (ha) against an infantry section/platoon/company in terms of fire power and maneuver elements and leadership.

Dkeh said:

Going off photos they appear to use Sig Saurs(P225 I think), MP5, C8, C9 and a shotgun

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20090522/450_winnipeg_090522.jpg
Members of HMCS Winnipeg's armed Naval Boarding Party are seen during operations in an undisclosed location in the Gulf of Aden under Standing NATO Maritime Group 1 (SNMG1). Photo: Canadian Forces Combat Camera

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/01/24/cdnnavypirates-620.jpg
In this 2009 file photo, a member of the naval boarding party stands watch as HMCS Winnipeg participates in a port visit to Karachi, Pakistan. Ottawa was so embarrassed by a catch-and-release conundrum involving Somali pirates in 2009 that it ordered the navy not to take any prisoners unless they had an iron-clad case that would stand up in court. (Department of National Defence handout/Canadian Press)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/images/articles/fullSize/12-17-02b.jpg
http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/CTF150Inset4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3No6Sl1nFZs  Naval Boarding Party training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlhBsdPUbbo  HMCS Fredericton (FFH 337) Naval Boarding Party

-Skeletor- said:
Going off photos they appear to use Sig Saurs(P225 I think), MP5, C8, C9 and a shotgun

Cheers, thanks for the info.

ObedientiaZelum said:

I am also interested in their dispositions and maneuver elements. Now that I am thinking about it, all I can imagine is 4 man stacks of JTF2NinjaScubaSnipers waiting at the hatch of a ship. Hmm. I would love to see these guys in action. 

NBP does use the term stack as part of their tactics..  the weapons are no big secret although they are changing  P225 Sig, MP5, C8, and REM 870

Are NBP members allowed to use the 870s against people or are they just for breaching?
What's a usual stack size and what rank would generally lead them?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Are NBP members allowed to use the 870s against people or are they just for breaching?
What's a usual stack size and what rank would generally lead them?

The stack size changes depending on the boarding.. A ship normally carries a 20 sailor team that is lead by a LT(N) to LCdr and the 2 i/c is a PO2 - PO1.  On a big ship the IC handles the Master and the Vessel while the 2 I/C handles the team and the search. Like any other military mission the IC is over all in charge and all communications back to mother (home unit) go through him..  so to answer your question, some times the team is 2 guys up to 20 depending on the boarding  6 pers is the norm.

Most teams have started leaving the REM 870 at home because other than the presentation of deadly force it is pretty much useless  for breaching most teams would rather use a rescue saw or an exothermic torch

Back