• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shilo - Trig Points and OPs

Ralph

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day, all - the subject of renaming trig points and OPs around the Shilo training area has come up around the ol' gun park now that we've started losing troops overseas - Capt Goddard had one named after her a couple years ago - and after searching around we realized there might not be a written record of how any of them came to be. The ones in recent history - Bailey, Keen, Wojo - are still remembered, but it gets hazy before that.
If any of you long-living types care to post any and all memories as to the histories of trigs and OPs, it would be much appreciated. We're going to start collecting them so the same thing doesn't happen 25 years from now.
Ralph.

Hi,
In 1990 i was with 3rd Herd survey troop. we spent a few months putting in new trigs. most we named after wives or girlfriends( or both  >:D) I remember putting in bailey, kelly, and few others i can't remember. Trig Ellen was named after my wife. hope this helps
Sgt Ian Smith

Ralph said:
The ones in recent history - Bailey, Keen, Wojo - are still remembered, but it gets hazy before that.

Bailey existed long before Beetle's death in '00.  However, in '01 we put in calibration line.

Keen was added in '01, on the 10th anniversary of Mike's death.

Wojo is still in Shilo.  Working at range control.  May be like he died?  :lol:

I would recommend looking at the Seventh Book of Remembrance as a starter to find out the names of those who have died.  Good luck.

Trig Day is named for Bdr Pete Day's boy.  We put that in for the old met station at Flewin field around 1998.

The new Trig Bailey is not the same location as the old Trig Bailey.  The original Trig Bailey was at Nan OP which is Northeast of King OP.

For whatever it is worth, re the old Trig Bailey, Colonel AJB Bailey commanded the RCSA (Royal Canadian School of Artillery) in Shilo in the mid 1950s after being CO of 2 RCHA in Korea. He later became a brigadier and was the brigade commander of 2 CIBG in Petawawa.

The cal pts are named Beetle after Beetle Bailey.  Trig Bailey NE of King OP is now trig Goddard

Back