• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shawn Ryan Show and CANSOF

There it is. Without a hot clue about the show or the host, your first instinct is to discredit.
It's a joke. Get over it.

And how do you know that I don't have a clue about the show or the host. Can you access my internet history??

I do find it amusing how he jumped from "don't disclose classified info" to "the CAF wants to silence Dallas on his reason for leaving the CAF."

Maybe Dallas just wanted to work on his music.

Last edited:
I listened to them- I didn’t think anything was especially sensitive. I did rise my eye brow at the footage he released, the unit has always over classified things as a practice though so I guess I could see them having a fit

I thought it was fairly benign and the cease and desist seems like a gigantic over reaction and has probably done more harm at this point.

Everyone conducting even peripheral interactions with units like that is under Non Disclosure, with signed security agreements.

I watched the first segment and thought that while he clearly breached his agreement, and some of the info was going to cause annoyance at DHTC he stayed out of any real release of TTPS etc.

Down here Tier 1 units are classified, even the names, so theoretically Delta and Dev, TFO etc don’t exist, so any discussion can get hammered really hard if the powers that be chose.

Everyone conducting even peripheral interactions with units like that is under Non Disclosure, with signed security agreements.

I watched the first segment and thought that while he clearly breached his agreement, and some of the info was going to cause annoyance at DHTC he stayed out of any real release of TTPS etc.

Down here Tier 1 units are classified, even the names, so theoretically Delta and Dev, TFO etc don’t exist, so any discussion can get hammered really hard if the powers that be chose.

Considering the proliferation of online interviews with retired US Tier 1 personnel over the last few years, I wonder how that is all handled?

Maybe they wanted him out because not being vaccinated meant he couldn’t get on a plane for two years, seems fairly important for a SOF operator to be able to travel but maybe I’m just crazy.
You're not crazy. That was the policy, for a short time.

Considering the proliferation of online interviews with retired US Tier 1 personnel over the last few years, I wonder how that is all handled?
Depends how it’s done. There are procedures for interviews, and book writing, and JSOC does a legal review prior and okays what is okay versus not okay.

Some folks get PNG’d for violating, others worse, just depends on whom is offended, and if their unit commander wants to act.

For instance if your team decides to consult to a video game while still active duty and allows the company to run motion capture on how to do things and digital scan all your gear, your in trouble and your Squadron Command is in trouble, and your O-6 (if for example you might be talking about the Little Navy…) gets racked over the coals, he’s not going to be thrilled, and shit will roll down hill.

Or if for example you might be the OG Unit CSM, and married the Units founding CO’s daughter, and you write a book, that’s not saving you from being PNG’d…

We also don’t have qualms about hauling folks back from retirement to Article 31 them and destroy their pensions, security clearances for post retirement options etc.

However some interviews are encouraged and green lit, as they can be great recruiting methods.

I watched both episodes, and had been waiting ever since the trailer came out. (That trailer was badass, and could be a fantastic recruiting tool all on its own!)

I understand that sometimes, when talking about one's career on a show things can potentially get a little bit tricky when big chunks of that career are deemed classified - especially is filed as a higher classification level than they need to do be.

But the guy has the longest sniper kill in history, by far. He blew the prevjous record out of the water like 4-5 times that same day.

The CAF seems fine with him posting some things on his Instagram that are service related.

The CAF had no problem being the ones to release the info to the media & boast about JTF-2 now holding the world title, including in that press release the date & location of where the shot took place (Mosul, Iraq)

But all of a sudden the CAF has a history fit because he provided a copy of that footage to the Shawn Ryan Show, despite pictures of his CANSOF deployments on his social media being fine?

This had the potential to be a really, really good recruiting tool. Dallas seems like a good guy, its something the CAF could use in recruiting (some badass recruiting videos conjuring up in my head right now), and it could have been some good PR for the military for a change.

Instead, the military itself buggers it up by writing a snotty letter shortly after the video was released. (The letter I believe was written the same damn day the episode was released, no?)

Instead of "join the team that holds the world's longest sniper kills..." we indirectly decide to go with "Look at how anal retentive we are, and how dumb our legal officers sound..."

PERSEC wasn't violated, nor was OPSEC. And a blurry video of a few blurry blotches dropping to the ground - taken a few years ago - isn't exactly jeopardizing national security...

My own opinion? They should have sat on it, monitored the comments & the publicity it was generating, then decided on a course of action (if any) after a few days or so

Also my opinion, Dallas seems like one tall dude, and a really cool guy to just hang out with. A total badass and a great representative of the CAF

🥂

I watched both episodes, and had been waiting ever since the trailer came out. (That trailer was badass, and could be a fantastic recruiting tool all on its own!)

I understand that sometimes, when talking about one's career on a show things can potentially get a little bit tricky when big chunks of that career are deemed classified - especially is filed as a higher classification level than they need to do be.

But the guy has the longest sniper kill in history, by far. He blew the prevjous record out of the water like 4-5 times that same day.

The CAF seems fine with him posting some things on his Instagram that are service related.

The CAF had no problem being the ones to release the info to the media & boast about JTF-2 now holding the world title, including in that press release the date & location of where the shot took place (Mosul, Iraq)

But all of a sudden the CAF has a history fit because he provided a copy of that footage to the Shawn Ryan Show, despite pictures of his CANSOF deployments on his social media being fine?

This had the potential to be a really, really good recruiting tool. Dallas seems like a good guy, its something the CAF could use in recruiting (some badass recruiting videos conjuring up in my head right now), and it could have been some good PR for the military for a change.

Instead, the military itself buggers it up by writing a snotty letter shortly after the video was released. (The letter I believe was written the same damn day the episode was released, no?)

Instead of "join the team that holds the world's longest sniper kills..." we indirectly decide to go with "Look at how anal retentive we are, and how dumb our legal officers sound..."

PERSEC wasn't violated, nor was OPSEC. And a blurry video of a few blurry blotches dropping to the ground - taken a few years ago - isn't exactly jeopardizing national security...

My own opinion? They should have sat on it, monitored the comments & the publicity it was generating, then decided on a course of action (if any) after a few days or so

Also my opinion, Dallas seems like one tall dude, and a really cool guy to just hang out with. A total badass and a great representative of the CAF

🥂
Honestly if he’d shut up about Selection and the phases of SOAC he probably wouldn’t have raised much of an eyebrow.
Sure most of that is an open secret to those who have some affiliation to the CAF, but it’s still a breach.

Not knowing how the whole COVID walk back is going in Canada, I can’t comment on what that may or may not affect things.

But down here, a few folks have been run out of town for similar reasons.

DND could have done nothing, which may have been the better option. But he and has feats will never be used a recruiting tool, specifically because he chose to ignore CDS policy. No CDS is going to allow that to happen, unless maybe the individual holds a VC, and even then, maybe not.

The other thing I about using JTF2 feats as a recruiting tool is that it is a double edge sword. Having flashy recruiting videos depicting all the cool thing stuff you can do in the CAF might get people in the door, but how do you keep them when they find out that the video depicts 1% of the CAF doing their thing, and the majority of recruits will never be that 1%. Look at how many individuals released after we left Afghanistan because we trained them to be killers abroad and but employed them as Red Cross workers at home.

DND could have done nothing, which may have been the better option. But he and has feats will never be used a recruiting tool, specifically because he chose to ignore CDS policy. No CDS is going to allow that to happen, unless maybe the individual holds a VC, and even then, maybe not.

The other thing I about using JTF2 feats as a recruiting tool is that it is a double edge sword. Having flashy recruiting videos depicting all the cool thing stuff you can do in the CAF might get people in the door, but how do you keep them when they find out that the video depicts 1% of the CAF doing their thing, and the majority of recruits will never be that 1%. Look at how many individuals released after we left Afghanistan because we trained them to be killers abroad and but employed them as Red Cross workers at home.
I can't even believe the differences between the CAF today and the CAF then.

We were getting told in training we were being prepared to go "#### up some Hajis" and we all believed it to, especially after 9/11.

Saying that today would get you shitcanned 🤣

I thought this was super stupid when the CoC had an aneurysm over it:

Back