• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SHADS....Where did it originate?

It's not very common to hear the term Shad used much anymore. While its mostly used as a lighthearted term, I also heard it used as a derogatory term by narrow minded sailors. As a full timer for the last 18 years I usually point out the fact that many regs were reservists and we full time shads go to sea a lot and in some much more than the regs.

Although to consider yourself to still be a reservist after 18 consecutive years of full time service is a bit of misnomer. Funcitonally, and in keeping with the NDA, you are very much in the regular force

daftandbarmy said:
I don't know about those SHADS, but I'll have you know that I am a member of the SAS

(Saturday and Sunday)  ;D

We used to call it the SWAT Team.

Some
Weekends
And
Thursdays    ;D

Sailorwest said:
Although to consider yourself to still be a reservist after 18 consecutive years of full time service is a bit of misnomer. Funcitonally, and in keeping with the NDA, you are very much in the regular force

I have been fortunate to gain full time work and most of it on ship.  Even though part of a MARLANT unit, still see us treated quite differently unfortunately from the rest of the fleet.

Back