• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SHADS....Where did it originate?

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
hamiltongs said:
Well, the alternative was crediting the dirty, dirty shads on the MCDV, so they were stuck between a bit of a rock and a hard place.  ;D

So the "shads" term is for all reservists regardless of which coast they eventually go to? Someone mentioned in another thread that they were named after a migratory fish on the east coast.  ???

S.M.A. said:
So the "shads" term is for all reservists regardless of which coast they eventually go to? Someone mentioned in another thread that they were named after a migratory fish on the east coast.  ???

That's correct.  "Shads" is the lighthearted general term used for Naval Reservists, regardless of whether they're in a landlocked stone frigate or a sea-going unit.  Unlike the other terms used unofficially for reservists in other parts of the CF, you'll hear "shad" used both by Reg F and Res personnel; there's not much, if any offense taken to it (from what I've seen, anyways).

SHAD = Saturday, Holiday and December sailor.

The real irony here is that I believe it may have been EDMONTON that was the centre of a large drug bust a few years ago, only that time it was the other way around.  Several key crew members were found to be ringleaders.

Occam said:
Unlike the other terms used unofficially for reservists in other parts of the CF, you'll hear "shad" used both by Reg F and Res personnel; there's not much, if any offense taken to it (from what I've seen, anyways).

It all depends on how one says it, which usually reflects how one views Reservists in general.

Pusser said:

SHAD = Suave, Handsome and Debonair.

It is good to see some recognition for the MCDV sailors.  Being a very cost effective platform, those hulls and the pier head jumping sailors don't always get the pat on the back they deserve.

Pusser said:

SHADS - Summer Holidays/ After Dinner Soldiers(Sailors)...one of the more polite terms I remember when I was first a Reservist...most I hear/use now aren't all that polite anymore  ;D.

MM

SHADS

I had read somewhere that the term SHAD originated back in WWII, and it was derived from term Shadow Sailor.

A shad is a bottom dwelling fish of low market value. I have never heard the term used in a non derogatory fashion by Regular force personnel, nor used as anything else than a "badge-of-honour" by  reservists.

The funniest thing to a reservist is when he/she is on a four to six month deployment, in the middle of which a Reg force seaman starts to disparage the reserves and call them shads and demean them, as if he was sharing a good joke with his peer, only to be "informed" by his mate: "you are so right - by the way, I am a SHAD".

From the book Citizen Sailors Chronicles of Canada's Naval Reserve 1910-2010.

"Shad was a title bestowed on reservists by the regular navy, the former being a shadow of the latter."

I have that book, but I would be leery of considering it authoritative on anything. As I've mentioned before, even the title is wrong: the Naval reserve was first created in 1923. So they are 13 years off.

That's OK since it is not meant as a history textbook but rather as a book of stories. Thus they try to be polite.

I can't see why the regulars of WWII would have wanted to refer to reservist as such. They were already disparaged as the "wavy-navy", for one thing, and its hard after all for 10% of a force to think its shadow is 9 times bigger. That's about the reg/res proportions during the war : 90% reserve and 10% regs. And how would they distinguish between the RCNR (professional mariners enrolled for the duration that were probably as good - if not better - seaman than the regs) and the RCNVR, the real volunteers?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I have that book, but I would be leery of considering it authoritative on anything. As I've mentioned before, even the title is wrong: the Naval reserve was first created in 1923. So they are 13 years off.

That's OK since it is not meant as a history textbook but rather as a book of stories. Thus they try to be polite.

I can't see why the regulars of WWII would have wanted to refer to reservist as such. They were already disparaged as the "wavy-navy", for one thing, and its hard after all for 10% of a force to think its shadow is 9 times bigger. That's about the reg/res proportions during the war : 90% reserve and 10% regs. And how would they distinguish between the RCNR (professional mariners enrolled for the duration that were probably as good - if not better - seaman than the regs) and the RCNVR, the real volunteers?

The story, as I heard it, was that the Navy was, like all of Gaul, divided into three:

1. The Royal Canadian Navy Reserve ~ who were sailors trying to be gentlemen; 
rcn_king_clarence_aubrey.jpg

2. The Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve ~ who were gentlemen trying to be sailors;   
rcnvr_storey_donald_william_green.jpg
  and

3. The Royal Canadian Navy ~ who were neither trying to be both!   
220px-Harry_DeWolf.png

Edit: grammar  :-[

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Didn't RCNR officers wear the chain-link ?
RCNVR wore the wavey stripes
RCN wore the strait stripes

Mods:  Perhaps a split to a "Shad" thread is warranted?  We seem to have drifted off the topic.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
SHADS

I had read somewhere that the term SHAD originated back in WWII, and it was derived from term Shadow Sailor.

This is what I heard 20 yrs ago.  Sundays, Holidays And Days Off Work (civilian work, presumably)

I don't know about those SHADS, but I'll have you know that I am a member of the SAS

(Saturday and Sunday)  ;D

Dolphin_Hunter said:
From the book Citizen Sailors Chronicles of Canada's Naval Reserve 1910-2010.

"Shad was a title bestowed on reservists by the regular navy, the former being a shadow of the latter."

I know it's unreliable, but this was mentioned in a chapter talking about the early 70's

daftandbarmy said:
I don't know about those SHADS, but I'll have you know that I am a member of the SAS

(Saturday and Sunday)  ;D

Many of us were members of the SSF (Saturdays and Sundays Fuched)

Oldgateboatdriver said:

The Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RCNVR - non-professional sailors) was established in 1923.  However, the Naval Service Act of 1910 did establish a Reserve for professional seaman.  The Royal Navy Canadian Volunteer Reserve (RNCVR - for non-professional sailors - note the word order) was established in 1914 for service in WWI.  Thus, there has always been a reserve element of the Navy since 1910.

Back