• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shadow Box For Medals

06Honda

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone know of a place online to order a shadow box for displaying medals. Thanks for any info.

The arts and crafts chain Michaels (https://www.michaels.ca) has a variety of boxes and frames.  However, you will have to figure out mounting / spacing / backing fabric or images yourself - it's not a turnkey solution.

There is a group on FB called Canadian Veteran Marketplace;  you might be able to find someone local on there to make a nice custom one.  I've seen a few of them showcased.

I have the box linked below (or one very similar one) from Michaels, not used for medals specifically and it is okay.  I used it for a shadow box for my "PRes days" stuff so it has things like command badges, cap badge, collar dogs etc mounted in it.  I'd add a pic but...it's in storage right now as I'm waiting to move into a new place.  There's a back board that might work for attaching medals to.

Black Shadow Box By Studio Décor

Quick cheap good looking shadow box for medals.

Pickup a photo frame with deep sided (Walmart has them in dark colors)

Remove the glass.

Pickup some sticky backed "craft foam" (craft section at Walmart).  Comes in all sorts of colors.

Use whatever colors strike your fancy, can get creative and use relevant branch flag colours, or go with plain black or whitr.

Use the removed glass as a template to trim the craft foam to fit into the frame with a sharp utility knife.

Remove the sticky backing, stick the foam to the cardboard backing in the photo frame.

Pin your medals, collar dogs, whatever, through the foam and put the pin backs on the back of the frame.

Done.

Easy to remove the medals to wear if you like as well.

I just noticed the online store of the Royal Canadian Legion (poppystore.ca) sells a couple of sizes intended for medals.

Sometime ago I joined Watch Gang and then bought a display case they sell.

https://www.watchgang.com/gifts or google to see a variety of boxes.

This is what I did with my Corrections Exemplary Service Medal. Just went to a framer and had him mount it in a frame like so (see pic)
It may give ideas on how to mount your medals.

Tom

Attachments

• medal1.jpg
    medal1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 95
expwor said:
This is what I did with my Corrections Exemplary Service Medal. Just went to a framer and had him mount it in a frame like so (see pic)
It may give ideas on how to mount your medals.

Tom

That's nice; I had overlooked that option.  I had my medals court-mounted as I was with our ceremonial unit, but now that I'm no longer in that gig I could do as you have.  Hmmm, I wonder if I could still find the certificate.  I've had a couple of 'three dimensional' items professionally framed and it's all in the creative use of the matting.

Great ideas and help, will check out some of the suggestions.

Nice idea. I have a project to make a retirement gift for my uncle. I am looking for this one and also have some ideas for organizing a military shadow box.

These are done by a friend who is a army/air force vet. His work is fairly popular and impressive; I have several things he's made (custom pens, a saki cup set holder, light box for me and my father).

Shadow boxes
Display pieces Facebook

These are done by a friend who is a army/air force vet. His work is fairly popular and impressive; I have several things he's made (custom pens, a saki cup set holder, light box for me and my father).

Shadow boxes
Display pieces Facebook
He does nice work! My compliments (nd envy). I did a table top coin rack but not near as nice as his work.

Canex has a couple on offer but I haven't seen them in real life.

One idea I've seen: Ordering a custom nametape from CP Gear with the dates of service on it, which can be used along with a regular nametape for symmetry.

He does nice work! My compliments (nd envy). I did a table top coin rack but not near as nice as his work.

What started as a hobby has become a part time home business and the demand is increasing.

I have a fountain pen and holder at work he did as well. I am pretty fond of the engraving on wood with the laser look. The Rising Sun on my saki set holder for the cup set I picked up in Okinawa turned out really nice as well. Not “too much”, nor “too little”.

Nice idea. I have a project to make a retirement gift for my uncle. I am looking for this one and also have some ideas for organizing a military shadow box.
Military memorabilia designs can also be appropriate to display stripes, medals, and other awards you received in your years of service. It includes your military uniform in small items such as dog tags and pins. You may add personal items to express the sentiment.

Back