• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

lenaitch

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This is fascinating and I’ve never seen it before.

It would appear on the surface to change lots of the dynamic, it would be that communities aren’t used to providing the service but are required to- at first blush anyways. Specifically the section that speaks to access to services, I’d have to see how that is defined,

I wonder if that’s is spelled out in each municipalities agreement,
Interesting doc - thanks. I see Essa Township gets $4.3Mn and assume the vast majority of that is for Base Borden. I would seem, on the basis of the statements in the webpage, that the Township should be plowing all the internal roads (and parking lots? It's all one 'tenant'), fixing streetlights, provide fire service, police service, and on and on. I doubt that is happening but, as you say, there may be individual terms.

Municipalities might argue the 'equitable' part. A local municipality has a provincial correctional facility and the government previously funded a dedicated crime unit for the local detachment - until they unilaterally decided not to, saying the provincial in-lieu payments covered it. Now it looks like any calls to the jail will be queued in with all other town calls and be responded to by patrol staff.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
The few sexual assaults on military bases, with all military parties, I had- all involved CFNIS. What that means as a standard practice I have no idea. Just an anecdote. Which is apparently all I have on offer
I was more meaning when the the sexual crime aspect is removed from the MILPOL side.
I don't think anyone after what occurred in the last few years will accept a non CIVPOL investigatory replacement to the NIS for sex related crimes/complaints.

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently under the existing system a lawyer will be provided by JAG; I'm assuming that you are on your own in a CIVPOL charge for any legal fees, transportation back to the original jurisdiction etc? Similarly, for any victims that made a complaint, they are similarly on their own (outside of whatever support they get from normal civilian bits).

With the number of people on TD, short term postings etc that will be a lot of additional admin that doesn't seem to be considered. Bit stupid when a lot of this could have been fixed in the mil justice system yeas ago when any number of previous judicial reviews pointed out these problems.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
So, in the civilian system jurisdiction is contingent on where an offense happens. A sexual assault on a mess in Ottawa would land on Ottawa Police. If if happens at a member’s residence in Carleton Place, or Gatineau, then it would be OPP or Gatineau police respectively. Similar dynamics for other bases depending where they are.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Charges under the CSD will continue to have counsel provided by JAG.

CC charges, on the other hand, if not laid under 130 of the NDA (which makes them CSD) will mean the charged member will be on the hook for their own lawyer.

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting doc - thanks. I see Essa Township gets $4.3Mn and assume the vast majority of that is for Base Borden. I would seem, on the basis of the statements in the webpage, that the Township should be plowing all the internal roads (and parking lots? It's all one 'tenant'), fixing streetlights, provide fire service, police service, and on and on. I doubt that is happening but, as you say, there may be individual terms.

Municipalities might argue the 'equitable' part. A local municipality has a provincial correctional facility and the government previously funded a dedicated crime unit for the local detachment - until they unilaterally decided not to, saying the provincial in-lieu payments covered it. Now it looks like any calls to the jail will be queued in with all other town calls and be responded to by patrol staff.
Trust me (having dealt directly with PILT in the past), municipalities love when the PILT cheque rolls in every year. They hate it when you ask to have a road plowed or paved, once in a while…

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
While I understand some people see the best option for them personally is to part with the CAF, I wonder if these And similar Officers are exactly the ones we need to stay and empower…

OldSolduer

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
While I absolutely applaud and support these two officers, the CAF is going to launch an investigation for them speaking to the media as well as possibly violating 19.14 and 19.36, right?
I would not be surprised at all.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Can you clarify and/or expand on your point ?

CPCC is charged with paving the way forward for CF Culture. Similar to the Transition Group, if there were regional CPCC Offices, these Officers are the type that would likely be desired by the CPCC HHQ types.

To me, that would empower them to be part of the change they see as needed.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
CPCC is charged with paving the way forward for CF Culture. Similar to the Transition Group, if there were regional CPCC Offices, these Officers are the type that would likely be desired by the CPCC HHQ types.

To me, that would empower them to be part of the change they see as needed.

Yup I sucked back and reloaded. :)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score

Sigh...

Youtube Rage GIF by Wayne

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
"Gah!" indeed. Whatever "culture change" is, it has to be consistent with elevating people who are capable of being effective warfighters. But the base stupidity of some people ensures the likelihood of overreaction in wrong directions.

Kilted

Reaction score
While I absolutely applaud and support these two officers, the CAF is going to launch an investigation for them speaking to the media as well as possibly violating 19.14 and 19.36, right?
Well, considering how often this seems to happen, they are going to eventually have to start charging people.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

Is the juice worth the squeeze ?