• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The G&M is reporting it's sexual misconduct
My guess is that MGen Fortin's departure is linked to allegations by soldiers serving on Op IMPACT who became aware of potential war crimes committed by their Iraqi charges and the CAF did not address this. The story was published in an Ottawa newspaper yesterday.
I'm not surprised but also disappointed that I was wrong. SMH....

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not surprised but also disappointed that I was wrong. SMH....
You know it says something about our organization when we can loose 5 GOFOs and carry on like nothing happened. Seriously if we we didn't have 130+ GOFOs we might of been in trouble. However since we are top heavy we carry on.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
You know it says something about our organization when we can loose 5 GOFOs and carry on like nothing happened. Seriously if we we didn't have 130+ GOFOs we might of been in trouble. However since we are top heavy we carry on.
To a sickly season and a bloody war

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Quite the foresight someone had it seems. Almost like....witchcraft.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
It's today's version of accusing people of being climate change deniers or being far right.

Last edited:

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
It's today's version of accusing people of being climate change deniers or being far right.
I think what we are witnessing is people with personal attachments to individuals or a shared organizational allegiance (Think Cap Badge, Rank or Corps).

It's never easy to learn a respected and revered colleague, friend or leader is tainted or down right disgrace or criminal. Some wont accept factual findings that run counter to their emotions.

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I think what we are witnessing is people with personal attachments to individuals or a shared organizational allegiance (Think Cap Badge, Rank or Corps).

It's never easy to learn a respected and revered colleague, friend or leader is tainted or down right disgrace or criminal. Some wont accept factual findings that run counter to their emotions.
Or, that the more the public sees this, they think that everyone in the CAF (including you and me) are doing the same thing, just not exposed yet.

Saying "not everyone is like that" gets pretty tough when every week there is another instance that someone high up did something 20+ years ago.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Or, that the more the public sees this, they think that everyone in the CAF (including you and me) are doing the same thing, just not exposed yet.

Saying "not everyone is like that" gets pretty tough when every week there is another instance that someone high up did something 20+ years ago.
I was referring some posters stead fast insistence of "witch hunts and slippery slopes".

Do we have a statute of limitations on sex related offences in Canada or the CAF ?

It might be wise to remember that our actions as a A/Slt or OS may come back to haunt us when we are a Snr Officer or Chief, and perhaps keeping ones hands to them selves and conducting ourselves in an honorable manner will seldom get us in trouble.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I was referring some posters stead fast insistence of "witch hunts and slippery slopes".

Do we have a statute of limitations on sex related offences in Canada or the CAF ?

It might be wise to remember that our actions as a A/Slt or OS may come back to haunt you when your a Snr Officer or Chief, and perhaps keeping ones hands to them selves and conducting ourselves in an honorable manner will seldom get you in trouble.

The long arm of the law reaches to the graveyard gates, apparently:

"In Canada there is no time limit (called a statute of limitations) on bringing criminal charges for sexual assault – meaning you can swear a criminal complaint and file charges at any point in your lifetime. However if your abuser has died, the criminal courts will not be able to proceed with charges."

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score

It might be wise to remember that our actions as a A/Slt or OS may come back to haunt you when your a Snr Officer or Chief, and perhaps keeping ones hands to them selves and conducting ourselves in an honorable manner will seldom get you in trouble.
There is no ‘statute of limitations’ in indictable offences. All criminal sexual offences are at least hybrid, meaning they can be prosecuted by indictment should crown choose. In the case of historical offences, charges are laid based on the offense as it existed at the time.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The long arm of the law reaches to the graveyard gates, apparently:

"In Canada there is no time limit (called a statute of limitations) on bringing criminal charges for sexual assault – meaning you can swear a criminal complaint and file charges at any point in your lifetime. However if your abuser has died, the criminal courts will not be able to proceed with charges."

There is no ‘statute of limitations’ in indictable offences. All criminal sexual offences are at least hybrid, meaning they can be prosecuted by indictment should crown choose. In the case of historical offences, charges are laid based on the offense as it existed at the time.

Thank you both for the education. Now lets hope we are seeing the crest of the tide now and the wave of sexual misconduct accusations will recede.