• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

Guilty.
A military judge has rendered a guilty verdict in the sex assault court martial of a former Canadian Forces medic on more than two dozen charges.

Retired petty officer James Wilks will now face sentencing on 25 sexual assault and breach of trust charges involving 16 women over six years.

In a West Quebec courtroom near Ottawa, military judge Lt.-Col. Louis-Vincent d'Auteuil handed down the verdict after reading a detailed summary of the case that concluded the testimony of the women should be believed.

(....)

In all, Wilks faced 16 charges of breach of trust and 10 sex assault counts. He was acquitted of a lone breach of trust charge.

Prosecutors and defence lawyers were meeting in the judge's chambers to discuss a possible sentencing date.

The sentencing hearing was expected to take several days ....

Next step:
.... The sentencing hearing for former Canadian Armed Forces medical technician, Petty Officer 2nd Class James Wilks, in relation to sexual assault and breach of trust charges, begins next week. The hearing is open to the media and the public.

When:
Monday, February 24, 2014, starting at 10:00 a.m.

Media are asked to arrive no later than 9:15 a.m. to ensure access and receive a brief.

Where:
Asticou Centre - 241 Boulevard Cité-des-Jeunes, Gatineau, Quebec

Courtroom: Block 2600 - Room 2601

What:
On November 15, 2013, a Standing Court Martial found Mr. Wilks guilty of 25 out of 26 charges. Of the 10 sexual assault and 16 breach of trust charges against retired Petty Officer 2nd Class James Wilks, Military Judge, Lieutenant-Colonel Louis-Vincent d’Auteuil, pronounced Mr. Wilks guilty of: all 10 sexual assault charges and 15 of 16 breach of trust charges. Sixteen complainants testified during the trial, which took place in Gatineau, Quebec, and in London, Ontario. The court martial is in relation to offences committed between 2003 and 2009, while he was performing medical examinations in Thunder Bay and London, Ontario ....

Wilks did my medical when I joined up. I have had the hernia test done numerous times and his was the 'least uncomfortable' compared to the others, although he did make me cough 3 or 4 times, which the others had not. I remember him telling me I had "flat feet" and asking if I had any foot pain or any other foot issues. I told him that I have never had any issues with my feet (which was the truth), and he preceded to pretty much interrogate me about it. For some reason he couldn't believe that I could have flat feet and it not be a medical problem. Here I am 12 years later and my feet are just fine.

BadBird said:
... I remember him telling me I had "flat feet" and asking if I had any foot pain or any other foot issues. I told him that I have never had any issues with my feet (which was the truth), and he preceded to pretty much interrogate me about it. For some reason he couldn't believe that I could have flat feet and it not be a medical problem. Here I am 12 years later and my feet are just fine.

I've pretty much interrogated a few people doing recruit medicals...generally they were being a bit cagy/evasisve and trying to dodge direct questions.  Also, some people are knobs, so end up getting treated that way - doesn't mean that's what was going on with you, but people do sometimes feel like they're being investigated.  I guess in some respects, they are actually.

I was posted in Calgary with Mr Wilks and was on course the odd time with him - some of this still doesn't sound like him, but we don't always know people that well I guess.

MM

This is finally getting to court.  Maj David Yurczyszyn pleads not guilty to sexual assault.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/maj-david-yurczyszyn-pleads-not-guilty-to-sexual-assault-1.2600789

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cpl-derrick-gallagher-of-petawawa-facing-8-sexual-assault-charges-1.2598303

I met this guy during basic training. Quiet and polite person. I was rather shocked to see this to be honest.

Yep. News release went out yesterday (too late for news cycle). Sentencing should be starting in a few mins.

Article Link

A soldier based in Manitoba is facing charges of assault and sexual assault.

Master Warrant Officer Douglas Pettie, a vehicle technician at Canadian Forces Base Shilo near Brandon, Man., has been charged with one count of sexual assault and two counts of assault causing bodily harm.

Major Yves Desbiens with the Canadian Forces said the alleged incidents occurred between February 2011 and May 2013 in Moncton, N.B.

An investigation into the allegations began last May and resulted in charges being laid Wednesday.

Pettie, 49, also faces four counts of conduct to the prejudice of good order and discipline under the National Defence Act.

More at link

This link states that the victim was also a serving member: http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2014/04/20140410-110638.html

PMedMoe said:
This link states that the victim was also a serving member.....
What kind of service member?  :whistle:

service-dog.jpg

Journeyman said:
What kind of service member?  :whistle:

Ooooh, you're going to hell for that one.  >:D

Seriously, the incident in question occurred in Moncton.

Ah.....I got as far as "Shilo" "sexual assault" "serving member"....... :dunno:  honest mistake.

>:D

Demoted to captain and placed on the sex offender registry.  An admin review is likely also ready to have a decision rendered.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/former-head-of-alberta-military-base-demoted-added-to-sex-offender-registry-1.1771889

Update

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cpl-derrick-gallagher-faces-18-new-charges-in-sex-assault-probe-1.2613423

A member of the Canadian Armed Forces appeared in court on Thursday facing 18 new charges as part of an expanding sexual assault probe.

Cpl. Derrick Gallagher of Petawawa facing 8 sexual assault chargesCpl. Derrick Gallagher had been arrested March 31, and then charged with eight counts of sexual assault and two counts of voyeurism just days later in relation to alleged incidents dating back to 2007.

An Ontario Provincial Police investigation began March 29 after a woman complained to them, police said. That week, their evidence led them to eight alleged victims in the town of Petawawa, Ont.

On Thursday, Gallagher was charged with eight more counts of sexual assault, nine more counts of voyeurism and one count of assault.

He made a brief court appearance in Pembroke, Ont., via video from the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre and his case was adjourned until April 24. That's when he will once again appear via video.

The 31-year-old infantryman with the 1st Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment joined the military in December 2005, and served in Afghanistan from September 2008 to April 2009.​

All of the alleged incidents happened during his time with the military.

Opp said they know of 18 victims and are still trying to identify 50 other women they believe are victims.

They said those women, who may have been drugged and do not know whether or not they were assaulted, could be anywhere in the country.

Police said more women from both Ontario and Quebec came forward after the initial charges were announced, and they're asking anyone else with information to contact them at 613-735-0188.

It looks like MacLeans is set to release a cover story on the topic of sexual assaults in the CF.  From the tone of this teaser I'd guess they have concluded the issue has gotten no better over the years.  I havent seen what is coming out and I'm certainly not judging one way or the other.  I'm just letting others know so they can follow the story once its released.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/our-militarys-disgrace-a-preview-of-our-latest-cover-story/

http://www.680news.com/2014/04/24/macleans-exclusive-looks-at-sexual-assault-in-the-military/

This extract caught my attention:
Every day, five individuals in the Canadian military community become victims of sexual assault.

Five a day, everyday ?? That's close to 1900 every year... I know this stuff happens, like it happens in society, but I seriously doubt it happens in those numbers.

Back