• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Service Second to None

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Service second to none, they say. Well it's true for a strong part of us that wear the Log cap badge. But what confuses myself is the "customer" gives you a hard time, for something you are required to do.

Any fellow Log brothers/sisters out there have any stories on these customers?

I just had one yesterday, throw the keys and work ticket at me. And then pull rank. "I don't have to do an inspection on the veh cause I out rank you." Yeah, if you were a CWO or a Major or above I would agree. User name Call of Duty on here witness it.  ;D

Or have a "customer" smash the front bumper of a van, drop the keys off and disappear. And not even tell about the damage, until I did the inspection on my own.  ::) And this is within 2 weeks.


Some people.. and it doesn't matter what their age is. They can still be kids. All I can do is smile (some how). I'm sure some folks got some stories out there. Let's hear it.

Regards,
TN2IC
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Now before I get banned or have yet another post deleted, I was only kidding.  ;D  But this is how I've seen logistics viewed by some of the other trades.

As a former supply tech and as a current admin clerk, I've done my fair share of customer service. If you can treat people with respect regardless of what relative rank they hold, it goes a long way. This applies equally for the client and the clerk.

Just the last week, I had a bit of a run in at Base Clothing. I was trying to get my account sorted out, as I knew there were a number of discrepancies where they had me owing multiples of items where less had been issued. For example, I've never had 6 mark III combat boots at one time. Also, I've got items that do not appear on my account.

In dealing with the clerk at the counter, after each and every "extra" item, he would demand that the item be returned or a statutory declaration / lost report be filed. While I completely understand that this is SOP, the confrontational manner in which he was speaking got old...fast. When I asked for copies of my signed docs, he refused and said all I needed was the computer print-out. Being more than a little tired at the time, my usual near endless patience gave out and I lost my temper.

For the first time in a long time, I asked to speak with his supervisor. After a few minutes with the Warrant, while nothing more was resolved, at least I didn't feel like it was a "me versus them" situation. The next day I went back and spoke with the clerk who had served me. I apologized for my exaggerated reaction, but I made certain I thought his approach to customer service was wrong.
 

Greymatters

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The one principle is still valid - always ask for the signed form as proof when something looks suspicious...

 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
405
Points
880
The boots I personally would not have seen as an issue as we just stamp them and offer them back to the member now anyways.

Key words I have learned "You get more with honey than vinegar"
 

CallOfDuty

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
  Yeppers...I did see it happen TN2IC......and it seriously was sh*t behavior for no reason.  We all have rules and regulations to go by, and if you are returning a veh to transport after using it...yes, you gotta hang around for a few minutes while we make sure you didn't smash the hell out of it, and then not fill 'er up!

  A little bit of respect goes a long way.
 

fire_guy686

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I always like the people who come into CMTT, tell me they need something shipped but when asked for basic info like an ADDRESS, FIN code etc they can't give me one. Then they get mad at me, sometimes lippy but usually just end up storming out with their panties all twisted.  The other line that gets me is someone who says " Well blank always sent it for me without all that". Well I'm not blank and I require that info to ship your piece. Someone usually ends up pissed off in that situation as well and most of the time it's not me  ;D

Those people generally come back in that day with the info and their stuff goes out.
 

Lil_T

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
eh I got lots of that in civvie land.  No big.  I'm still a loooong way from being face to face with a customer, and I'm fine with that.  I get to sit back and watch the new Pte with no previous customer service experience spin after getting beaked at.  Someday it will be my turn, I will grit my teeth, smile, do my best, and move on to the next....

My husband, on the other hand, has stories that would make you shake your head.
 

catalyst

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
MAMS_933 said:
I always like the people who come into CMTT, tell me they need something shipped but when asked for basic info like an ADDRESS, FIN code etc they can't give me one. Then they get mad at me, sometimes lippy but usually just end up storming out with their panties all twisted.  The other line that gets me is someone who says " Well blank always sent it for me without all that". Well I'm not blank and I require that info to ship your piece. Someone usually ends up pissed off in that situation as well and most of the time it's not me  ;D

Those people generally come back in that day with the info and their stuff goes out.

I have a Second-to-None story about CMTT...............

Once upon a time I shipped things home from KAF, put my phone number down, etc as I was told they would call...............I tried calling a few times a few months (i was told it would be months as it was during the RIP).....but never got an answer. So finally flash forward to October, when I see a sticky note on my door................with "if this is (my name)'s house, phone x number about your baggage. So I make arrangements to go there, and pick it up. The guy helping yells to the wherehouse: hey guys, guess who this is! turns out they had been trying to get a hold of me for quite a while. They were looking in the phone book, on the DWAN, etc etc. to track me down. A bit of stupidity on my part but I was very thankful for their efforts. If that isn't Service Second to None........ :D

 

armyvern

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
15
Points
430
Tetragrammaton said:
Now before I get banned or have yet another post deleted, I was only kidding.  ;D  But this is how I've seen logistics viewed by some of the other trades.

As a former supply tech and as a current admin clerk, I've done my fair share of customer service. If you can treat people with respect regardless of what relative rank they hold, it goes a long way. This applies equally for the client and the clerk.

Just the last week, I had a bit of a run in at Base Clothing. I was trying to get my account sorted out, as I knew there were a number of discrepancies where they had me owing multiples of items where less had been issued. For example, I've never had 6 mark III combat boots at one time. Also, I've got items that do not appear on my account.

In dealing with the clerk at the counter, after each and every "extra" item, he would demand that the item be returned or a statutory declaration / lost report be filed. While I completely understand that this is SOP, the confrontational manner in which he was speaking got old...fast. When I asked for copies of my signed docs, he refused and said all I needed was the computer print-out. Being more than a little tired at the time, my usual near endless patience gave out and I lost my temper.

For the first time in a long time, I asked to speak with his supervisor. After a few minutes with the Warrant, while nothing more was resolved, at least I didn't feel like it was a "me versus them" situation. The next day I went back and spoke with the clerk who had served me. I apologized for my exaggerated reaction, but I made certain I thought his approach to customer service was wrong.

As a former Sup tech then, you'd be aware that the staff has to follow the rules. And you must also be aware too how frustrating it is when pers don`t follow previous direction regarding the requirememnt for 100% verification of their clothing docs within 1 year of message being cut date - and show up years later with problems they were directed to look after years before.

After rollover to CFSSU in 2001, there were a great many problems with pers docs as qtys did not roll over properly. Don't forget, ~60000 docs had to be input by hand. Those old signed yellow papercopies ceased to exist.

There was a Forces wide message cut circa 2005 that directed all pers to make appts with their local clothing stores to obtain an electronic printout of their clothing docs. members were then to take those printouts home and go through all items listed to verify whether or not they "actually" had them and in what "qtys" they had them. Members were then to return to clothing stores with their vetted copy where the Sup tech would assist in doing up either "An MLR or a STAT Dec" which would list all the errors & surpluses and deficiencies so that your CFSS electronic docs would reflect your actual holdings.

That been at least 5 years ago pers were asked to do this. We can NOT, by direction, just change your clothing balances based on your word (so sayeth Treasury Board and the Auditors, but again, as a former sup tech you already know that too) as you`ve asked clothing to do for you. You must verify via your electronic copy and then report back your surpluses and defeciencies ìn an official manner`(MLR or Stat Dec) that has your signature on it. With your signature, it`s `YOU certifying to the AG that you are not lying.

There is a thread on this site with that message on it ... and directions as to what to do in this situation. We had staff dedicated soley and ONLY to correcting clothing docs based on those Stat Decs and MLRs we did receive in Gagetown. No questions asked. You brought in your Stat dec or MLR signed ... and we fixed your docs to reflect what you said should be on them.
 

armyvern

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
15
Points
430
MAMS_933 said:
I always like the people who come into CMTT, tell me they need something shipped but when asked for basic info like an ADDRESS, FIN code etc they can't give me one. Then they get mad at me, sometimes lippy but usually just end up storming out with their panties all twisted.  The other line that gets me is someone who says " Well blank always sent it for me without all that". Well I'm not blank and I require that info to ship your piece. Someone usually ends up pissed off in that situation as well and most of the time it's not me  ;D

Those people generally come back in that day with the info and their stuff goes out.

This reminds me of a story ...

Back in 03, I was on tour which got extended due to Op Athena start-up. But, in the meantime, found out that I was being posted to Gagetown prior to my return to Canada. The training husband was then posted to CPC in Trenton. I shipped 3 duffle bags back via CMTT so that he could load them onto the moving truck with our household stuff when he and the kids moved to New Brunswick. Stuck a note in with the shipping docs outlining what was going on and why they had to contact him instead of me about my stuff (I still had another couple months in theatre). He got the call and whipped down to the hangar to pick up my stuff. All was well for a couple of years.

In 2005, I was in Borden undertaking a course. The day before I left to go back to Gagetown (actually back to PEI via Gagetown as I had gotten posted IR to Charlottetown in the meantime), I received an email from a Tfc Tech in Trenton asking if I had ever been overseas and shipped stuff via CMTT. Yep, I replied, a few times. He then wrote `well we have a duffle bag here - we think it`s your last name, but it`s definitely your initials. We can`t read the SN on it anymore. I said that I`d pop in to their location on the way through Trenton the next day to check it out but that I didn`t think I was missing anything.

Sure as hell, when I got there - I could tell that it was my bag. We cut the lock off to confirm. Stuffed full of clothes and a couple of gifts that I had picked up for others on tour. Apparently you own too much stuff when ...

There was no more shipping docs on the bag as the training husband had removed them when he signed for the bags ... then he apparently got two of them loaded into the vehicle before my kids (very young at the time) distracted him enough that he forgot there was a third bag to load. So there it remained (unmissed and unloved by me) ... for two years. Kudus to the Tfc tech who finally managed to figure it out and track me down 2 years a and two postings later and just luckily on the 2nd last day of my course which allowed me to pop in to Trenton and reclaim it.

I got home and promptly fired the training husband.  >:D LOL. No actually, that took another couple of years to do.
 

a78jumper

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
No different working with customers, be they internal or external, on civy street. Even the "HQ staff" gets in the way on occasion like in the military with ideas on how they want things run, vs day to day reality.
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
405
Points
880
Customer service is something that no one and no organization will get 100% ever. As a Storesy who's manned many a counter all I can recommend is be friendly and use you CoC if someone is too irate. That's why they get paid the big bucks!  >:D
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've had a previous supervisor advise me, strongly, that I respond too quickly to pers at the counter.

I still do not see the problem with, at least, acknowledging their presence immediately and informing them it might be a few minutes if I have a priority task at hand. 
 

fire_guy686

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ArmySailor said:
I have a Second-to-None story about CMTT...............

Once upon a time I shipped things home from KAF, put my phone number down, etc as I was told they would call...............I tried calling a few times a few months (i was told it would be months as it was during the RIP).....but never got an answer. So finally flash forward to October, when I see a sticky note on my door................with "if this is (my name)'s house, phone x number about your baggage. So I make arrangements to go there, and pick it up. The guy helping yells to the wherehouse: hey guys, guess who this is! turns out they had been trying to get a hold of me for quite a while. They were looking in the phone book, on the DWAN, etc etc. to track me down. A bit of stupidity on my part but I was very thankful for their efforts. If that isn't Service Second to None........ :D

We generally let stuff sit around for a bit and if nobody comes to pick it up the civilian who does the receiving makes me send out friendly reminders to people. Usually I get a "oh I had been meaning to come in and get that for the longest time now" reply back. 
 

fire_guy686

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ArmyVern said:
This reminds me of a story ...

Back in 03, I was on tour which got extended due to Op Athena start-up. But, in the meantime, found out that I was being posted to Gagetown prior to my return to Canada. The training husband was then posted to CPC in Trenton. I shipped 3 duffle bags back via CMTT so that he could load them onto the moving truck with our household stuff when he and the kids moved to New Brunswick. Stuck a note in with the shipping docs outlining what was going on and why they had to contact him instead of me about my stuff (I still had another couple months in theatre). He got the call and whipped down to the hangar to pick up my stuff. All was well for a couple of years.

In 2005, I was in Borden undertaking a course. The day before I left to go back to Gagetown (actually back to PEI via Gagetown as I had gotten posted IR to Charlottetown in the meantime), I received an email from a Tfc Tech in Trenton asking if I had ever been overseas and shipped stuff via CMTT. Yep, I replied, a few times. He then wrote `well we have a duffle bag here - we think it`s your last name, but it`s definitely your initials. We can`t read the SN on it anymore. I said that I`d pop in to their location on the way through Trenton the next day to check it out but that I didn`t think I was missing anything.

Sure as hell, when I got there - I could tell that it was my bag. We cut the lock off to confirm. Stuffed full of clothes and a couple of gifts that I had picked up for others on tour. Apparently you own too much stuff when ...

There was no more shipping docs on the bag as the training husband had removed them when he signed for the bags ... then he apparently got two of them loaded into the vehicle before my kids (very young at the time) distracted him enough that he forgot there was a third bag to load. So there it remained (unmissed and unloved by me) ... for two years. Kudus to the Tfc tech who finally managed to figure it out and track me down 2 years a and two postings later and just luckily on the 2nd last day of my course which allowed me to pop in to Trenton and reclaim it.

I got home and promptly fired the training husband.  >:D LOL. No actually, that took another couple of years to do.

We had some kit sitting on our rack in a half tri-wall for over a year. After getting sick of seeing it up there collecting dust we took it down to see if we could track the individual down. After some help from the clerks we found out this person had been out of the CF for a while. They couldn't find any info about him so we turned to 411. A number was found to an area in northern Manitoba. So we said what the heck and phoned it. At first the guy was like who?? After a minute he's like oh you mean *insert name*. The guy turned out to be his uncle and gave us a number to contact his mother. We finally got in contact with the guy and were told he would be in to pick it up. It's still sitting on our floor......But at least we tried.  ;D

We're contemplating taking the clothes downtown or to the north end and dropping the boxes off. I'm sure they would be scooped up in no time.  :eek:
 

mseop 935

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi TN2IC,

Seen that situation many times.  One place I was posted to had a very effective solution.

We had a memo taped to the window in the dispatch office stating very clearly the base's policy with regards to vehicle returns.  It stated that all ranks Warrant and below and Captain and below were to wash, clean and refuel each vehicle prior to it being accepted by the dispatcher.  MWO and above and Majors and above were to refuel the vehicles prior to it being accepted.

This memo was signed by a LCol, the Log O for the base.  Any disagreements, we simply politely indicated the memo and asked if they were going to disregard the policy.  If they wished, they were more than welcome to take their complaints to the undersigned.

Never had a problem while I was there.  Other bases, not quite the same story.  Usually, the best solution was, as someone else noted, to bring in your CoC to deal with unruly customers.

Have a great day.
 
Top