• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*Server Is Under High Stress*

Have had a rough month actually. "Unread posts" are generally easy to get to but the "new replies to your posts" and the "search" function has been mostly inaccessible for weeks requiring numerous retries.

I know its been hard work for you and I certainly appreciate your efforts but I think whatever fixes have been made over the last few months are not solving the problem.

:cheers:

Not being a programming whiz, I can only speculate what would help solve the situation.

Donations everyone, it takes money to run a site as great as this.

Don't be shy and step right up. I'm sure any amount would help.

An EMT to Mike at mike@milnet.ca would likely be appreciated.

recceguy said:
Not being a programming whiz, I can only speculate what would help solve the situation.

Donations everyone, it takes money to run a site as great as this.

Don't be shy and step right up. I'm sure any amount would help.

:goodpost:

Also.....

You can subscribe

Q: What does a subscription entitle me to?
A: As a new Subscriber, you get the following:
First year: A subscription item (see list above), Army.ca temporary tattoos, and an Army.ca badge, mailed to your door *
All external site advertising will be disabled
Your account will be publicly "tagged" as a Milnet.ca Subscriber
Access to a "Subscribers Only" forum
Ability to post events to the forum calendar **
Ability to edit existing Quotes in the Military Quote database **
Ability to edit existing Definitions in the Military Terms database **
Ability to delete your own posts
Ability to Request Notifications on New Topics (Subscribe to a forum)
Ability to edit photo information and comments in the Photo Gallery
Unlimited Personal Message storage
Ability to set your own unique "personal status" visible to all users
* Canada only, users from other countries may need to pay additional shipping. Item size and colour preference will be honoured based on available stocks. If your selection is not available you will be contacted and may elect for an alternate choice or to wait for the next re-order.

** Any submissions or modifications may be rejected if they are deemed unsuitable.

Note: The services and features available to subscribers are subject to change at any time without notice. Historically, this has meant the addition of a few small features here and there.

I subscribed to the site because I want to help, hopefully we see a better response from the servers soon. 

recceguy said:
I don't think he's ready for a Paramedic just yet -- a Jack Daniels maybe, but not an EMT.  ;D

I haven't ben able to have "show new replies to your posts" come up on my screen for about two weeks.
Is it me being stupid or is there some change I didn't pickup on?

Thanks

I've spent more time over the last few days trying to find the source of the problem. Made some changes that will definitely help (even if it's only a tiny bit) and will keep digging to find improvements.

I know a part of the cause is the terribly inefficient coding for AO (who wrote that anyway?) It may be time to wind things up there as it's a drain on resources and hasn't generated any revenue since 2012.

Well, we have essentially stood the mission down...

On a serious note, perhaps the large number of visitors has something to do with it? I logged on this morning to find 950 guests and 45 users. Surely there is some way to limit the number of guest accounts? Perhaps a simple ratio where the guest numbers are limited by the user numbers? Or better yet, a cap on the number of guests that can access the page at any given moment.

Mike Bobbitt said:
I've spent more time over the last few days trying to find the source of the problem. Made some changes that will definitely help (even if it's only a tiny bit) and will keep digging to find improvements.

I know a part of the cause is the terribly inefficient coding for AO (who wrote that anyway?) It may be time to wind things up there as it's a drain on resources and hasn't generated any revenue since 2012.

Thanks Mike for everything you do.
May the force be with you. :)

funny for me it's mostly "Show new replies " gets me the server understress message, but "Unread posts" seems to work fine, 95% of the time.

I saw the thread title and assumed it was about a waitress during TGIF    ;D

Mike Bobbitt said:

I wondered about that....

Folks, a quick note about some changes to the server. Previously, when the load was high, the server would shut down services to help keep things under control. It wasn't very smart about how it did this, shutting down services globally for everyone. I have now added some "smarts" to the system, so it balances load based on some additional criteria. Don't worry too much about the numbers, other than to give you a sense for the scale, but the site will now "go on hold" for folks according to the following requirements:

• Guests: 10+
  • Logged in Users: 15+
  • Subscribers: 25+
  • Admins: N/A

I should also add that this change was made to just one layer of the "load levelling" here. Items like search and unread replies will still go on hold as before. This is a function of the forum software, not the "blunt object override" that I had previously implemented and now improved.

I'm going to monitor this approach to see how it works, but hopefully it will help improve site availability for us.

Thanks again for your patience all!

Cheers
Mike

Back