• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*Server Is Under High Stress*

Everything is fine great here (Texas for a few more days)  - whenever the site is up and running, which is, typically, after about 0630 Hrs (Central).

owa said:
I find between 11 AM and 3 AM EST, I'm unable to get on the site. 

???

11 AM
12 PM
  1 PM
  2 PM
  3 PM
  4 PM
  5 PM
  6 PM
  7 PM
  8 PM
  9 PM
10 PM
11 PM
12 AM
  1 AM
  2 AM
  3 AM

WOW!  16 hours without army.ca.  How do you do it?    >:D

In all seriousness; Mike backs up the site in the late hours of the night, when few are online, and with the recent move, he has also run into other issues.  I am sure that when he finishes debugging the programning we will see less and less of these problems.

It's been working great here haven't had any problems at all .

I also discovered that due to timezone differences the backups were running early... they should now be shifted back to the wee hours of the morning.

I don't know if this is related to the server movement or not. Looking at the "Recent Visitors Came From..." section on the right of the page I noticed a lot of entries from dating sites. The sites appear multiple times. The first time I noticed it was when a Brazilian mail order bride site was listed there 8 times or so. How do those sites appear? I would figure those results were only from search sites. I just refreshed and the same site appeared 7 times.

kkwd,

It's a cheap trick that some sites use to get their names out there... they "visit" your site and leave their address as the referer so it shows up in logs, etc.

kkwd said:
I don't know if this is related to the server movement or not. Looking at the "Recent Visitors Came From..." section on the right of the page I noticed a lot of entries from dating sites. The sites appear multiple times. The first time I noticed it was when a Brazilian mail order bride site was listed there 8 times or so. How do those sites appear? I would figure those results were only from search sites. I just refreshed and the same site appeared 7 times.

did you order a bride while you were refreshing?.... ;D

George Wallace said:
The site has gone down a couple of times today.  Lengths have varied.

I think I can expand on that a little, if it helps.

I've noticed a few times now in the last couple of days, it appears as though the site has partially frozen.  I can refresh the main page successfully, but am completely unable to access any of the threads via the main page - they don't even appear to be attempting to load.  However, if I click on a user who has made a recent post, I can pull up their profile, and view the post they made to the thread.  Eventually, attempts to refresh the main page result in the server busy message.  Then the site comes back and all seems to be well again.

What I know about databases will fit into a thimble, but it appears that certain methods of accessing the forum continue to work, while others are frozen.

Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?

Well, the "search" function seems to be working again --- perhaps Mike was working on that and that is what caused today's (and last evenings) lags?  ???

Seems to be going like rockets here this afternoon.

ArmyVern said:
Well, the "search" function seems to be working again --- perhaps Mike was working on that and that is what caused today's (and last evenings) lags?  ???

Seems to be going like rockets here this afternoon.

Stay Away From the Photo Gallery!!!  ;D

Search is working, but the server still runs out of gas on occasion and has to cool down. For the time being, we're going to have to suffer through outages... they should be infrequent and short (a few minutes, a couple of times a day) until we have the resources to afford better.

This morning recieving a lot of "Server Busy" errors do not know if that is the DIN being difficult or not.

We had a few outages at roughly  1320, 1235, 1125 ET today. Each time the outage should have lasted no more than 3 minutes.

Mike Bobbitt said:
We had a few outages at roughly  1320, 1235, 1125 ET today. Each time the outage should have lasted no more than 3 minutes.

It was a terrible time. What the heck was I supposed to do at work?!

;D

While I realize there are still some issues to resolve, I thought I'd drop in with some good news. According to the statistics, our usage has risen dramatically since the site move.

Yesterday for example, we set a record high for "page views" since January 2009, and earlier this month hit a record for logged in users since last August. We're now serving up an average of 5Gb of data per day, compared to an average of 3.38 last month. Since we have hit these milestones less than 2 weeks after the move, I would imagine we're set to break all records in the months to come.

Thanks for sticking around and helping to make Army.ca successful!

Cheers
Mike

Mike, just poping on from Europe and the site is just flying...... good job on moving the servers......

Almost a month between posts in this thread... I think we've set a record! Glad to see things have bee (more or less) stable and speedy. :)

Now, what about the additional costs.....this is not a freebee....do we need to encourage subscriptions, do an annual funding drive to compensate the cost differential, all that stuff?

Back