• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Senator Wants Queen's Name on $20 Bill

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
If it's there for Sir Wilfrid, Sir John A. and W.L. Mackenzie King, why not QE II?  This, from Hansard:
Notice of Motion to Urge Government to Revise Twenty Dollar Banknote

Hon. Serge Joyal: Honourable senators, I give notice that, at the next sitting of the Senate, I will move:

Whereas the $5, $10 and $50 Canadian banknotes represent Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Sir John A. Macdonald and W.L. Mackenzie King respectively, and whereas each of these bills clearly mention in printed form their name, title and dates of function;

Whereas the $20 banknotes represent a portrait of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II but without her name or title;

The Senate recommends that the Bank of Canada add in printed form, under the portrait of Her Majesty, the name and title of H.M. Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, to the next series of $20 Canadian banknotes to be printed.
Yes, I had to look at the bills in my wallet after reading this.

Valid point, but wouldn't it be better if they didn't have to name ANY of them?

Pusser said:
Valid point, but wouldn't it be better if they didn't have to name ANY of them?
In an ideal world, true enough.

If anyone has a spare $100 bill, please send it and I'll selflessly review whether or not Sir Robert Borden's name is there.  And since returning it would be such a chore...

Glad to know my tax dollars are being spent to ensure equality to such trivial matters that I'm certain Canadians will be eternally grateful and indebted for!?!

Do the Senators who earn $130 000 a year have anything else earth-shattering they can change for us??? 

dapaterson said:
And since returning it would be such a chore...

................I'll just deposit it into 57Chevys' bank account. ;D

Penny has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
Nickle has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
Dime has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
Quarter has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
(No loonies in my pocket; I assume it has the same)
Toonie has this:  "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"

So...why not on the 20?  And let us not forget that our currency is used in Canada by tourists, who haven't the foggiest who or what is on our bills and coins.  I believe that it is common for currency to name the person depicted on the note or coin in many nations.

Technoviking said:
Penny has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
Nickle has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
Dime has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
Quarter has this: "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
(No loonies in my pocket; I assume it has the same)
Toonie has this:  "ELIZABETH II D.G. REGINA"
Loonie does, indeed, have same.

Back