• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Senator Dallaire retiring from Senate

GAP said:
I especially disliked him using his experiences to try and give credence to his other agenda's....

Such as?

I'm not challenging you, but I have to admit that I am honestly at a loss to understand what it is about his senate service, or his using his experiences from Rwanda to advance issues of common good for humanity, that is upsetting to people or makes him so dislikable.

About thirty-five minutes ago Prime Minister Harper, or someone in his office, tweeted that "There is a moral imperative to #SavingLives of vulnerable women & children in the poorest countries when it is in our power to do so." One could argue that twenty years ago there was a similar "moral imperative" existed with respect to Rwanda.

In my opinion then BGen Dallaire tried, very hard, to make the case that such a "moral imperative" did exist. I don't believe he failed, not in any meaningful, personal way - although one can, and some did, dispute his sense of priorities and , indeed, his suitability for the task: I think the CF failed him; I think that, specifically, Gen John De Chastelain failed him and, worse, failed the mission; I think the Government of Canada Failed him; I think Prime Minister Jean Chrétien also failed Sen Dallaire and in a very personal way. In New York I think the entire apparatus, including, specifically again, Col (later Gen) Baril) failed; they failed the mission and the men and women there. I concluded, to my own satisfaction, that it is immoral to risk Canadian lives to dangerous missions if the UN, specifically the Department of Peacekeeping Operations, is involved in any meaningful way. I think we can participate in some, carefully selected, baby blue beret peacekeeping missions, where the risk is very, very low* but where the risk is anything except negligible we must insist that Canada or a trusted ally has a leadership role. (And, by the way, I am suspicious of the United States' ability to lead such missions because I am suspicious of the strategic judgment of both the White House and the Pentagon, and i will likely still be suspicious when there is a Republican administration.)

If we are going to send troops into dangerous situations then we had best be sure that we all understand that there might be a "moral imperative" that requires them to fight and die and that requires us, Canada writ large, to support them by sending more and more and more Canadians to back them up, and to secure a military victory before we come home. If we aren't prepared to face up to "moral imperatives" then perhaps Pierre Trudeau was right,** perhaps we need to withdraw from the world and focus all our attention on national unity and a harmonious natural environment.

_____
*  But, in fairness, Prime Minister Kim Campbell, Clerk of the Privy Council Shortliffe and Adm John Anderson all thought Rwanada was a very low risk mission.
** In the 1970 White Paper 'A Foreign Policy for Canadians'

For clarification, Gen de Chastelain was appointed Canadian Ambassador to the U.S. in Washington D.C. 1993-1994, not to the UN in New York.

To have the courage of one's convictions to deal with the moral imperatives is an increasingly rare quality. It certainly wasn't in abundance within the PCO, NDHQ or UNNY in 1994.

mick said:
For clarification, Gen de Chastelain was appointed Canadian Ambassador to the U.S. in Washington D.C. 1993-1994, not to the UN in New York.

True, and nowhere in this discussion has this been alluded to.  At the same time, this discussion covers the period when Gen De Chastelain was CDS, not Canadian Ambassador.

True, and nowhere in this discussion has this been alluded to.  At the same time, this discussion covers the period when Gen De Chastelain was CDS, not Canadian Ambassador.

Gen John De Chastelain; he had been CDS in the early 1990s and had retired to a lovely ambassadorial appointment in New York, at the UN.

It was alluded to that Gen de Chastelain was an ambassador to the UN (see above quote) and I mistakenly took that to mean Gen de Chastelain was an obstacle at the UN, which is not what the OP intended.  Hence my clarification.

Back on track: my opinion of LGen Dallaire has elvolved over the years; I truly believe he tried his best in an impossible situation, and I respect the causes which he currently champions.  I wish him well.

ERC, my understanding was that BGen Dallaire (Arty), and Col (later Gen) Maurire Baril (Inf) were close friends which makes it more speculative as to why he did not do something.

I met Dallaire in the summer of 1996 when he was the senior serving Gunner and flew in for Spr Chris Holopina's military funeral.

PS I say save your venom for Baril, who was a piece of work.

As I recall, Baril was a BGen when he was at the UN during this period.

Old Sweat said:
As I recall, Baril was a BGen when he was at the UN during this period.

You are probably correct. I know, or at least I'm as close to 99% certain as one can be at our age, that he was a BGen on return.

(On a side note: the five permanent members of the UNSC all agreed, back in the 1940s, to provide a 'military advisor' each, to advise the Council, not the Secretary General or the General Assembly - in the one star rank, if I am correct (and I'm too lazy to go look it up). The Directorate of Peacekeeping Operations is, however, part of the secretariat and it has its own, separate military staff - and that where Gen Baril served.)

E.R. Campbell said:
I have seen some of the messages from then BGen Dallaire to NY and to Ottawa - I saw only a couple of the replies but every indication is that he was told to not rock the boat. The boat was well beyond, "rocking," it, and he, was in a HUGE storm - that perfect storm, again. 

The National Security Archive website has a whole collection of declassified reports dealing with the Rwandian Crisis. They can be found here if anyone is interested.

And as you can see from the website itself, there is yesterdays announcement that a special conference is being held in the Hague from 01 - 03 June to look into failure of the Rwandian mission. Key participants from the UN, Africa, Europe, and the US, including Dallaire will participate.

E.R. Campbell said:
You are probably correct. I know, or at least I'm as close to 99% certain as one can be at our age, that he was a BGen on return.

(On a side note: the five permanent members of the UNSC all agreed, back in the 1940s, to provide a 'military advisor' each, to advise the Council, not the Secretary General or the General Assembly - in the one star rank, if I am correct (and I'm too lazy to go look it up). The Directorate of Peacekeeping Operations is, however, part of the secretariat and it has its own, separate military staff - and that where Gen Baril served.)

If memory serves me correctly Baril went to the UN as a BGen and was promoted to MGen a year or so later while still there.

:cheers:

Back