• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Semi-trailer slams into RCMP cruiser, killing Mountie

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/07/04/police-crash-050704.html?print

C B C . C A  N e w s  -  F u l l  S t o r y :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semi-trailer slams into RCMP cruiser, killing Mountie
Last Updated Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:39:00 EDT
CBC News
An RCMP officer has died after his cruiser was rammed from behind by a semi-trailer, forcing officials to close part of the main highway that connects Calgary and Edmonton.

Another Mountie was injured in the accident, which happened Monday morning on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway near Millet, about 50 kilometres south of Edmonton.

The RCMP said an officer from the Wetaskiwin detachment was parked after responding to a traffic call when his vehicle was struck from behind.

They confirmed in late afternoon that he had died and a female officer was taken to hospital with injuries. No names were released.

The section of highway was to remain closed until crews cleaned up.

Traffic was being rerouted onto secondary roads.

Highway 2 is the main north-south corridor in the province. The section between Calgary and Edmonton was renamed the Queen Elizabeth II Highway during the Queen's visit to Alberta in May.

Copyright ©2005 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved 

:salute: :cdn:

Just Re-Affirms that even in the most "routine" part of the job there is still an inherent danger.

Rest In Peace, and my God Bless His family.

I have always felt that the LEOs have a much more dangerous job than we do, and I have nothing but respect for them for doing it daily. I hope the injured officer has a full recovery, and quickly.

RIP.

Tough year for K Division - RIP.

Certainly doesn't appear to be shaping up to be their year.

RIP.

I just saw on the news this morning that this RCMP officer served with the Canadian Military for 15 years before becoming an RCMP member.

It's really sad when something this routine turns into somehing fatal. My condolences go out to his family, and I wish the female officer a speedy recovery.

Jose was a really good friend of mine. A former pilot in the CF and a CIC officer and just an all around great guy. Ill be attending his service tommorow. A great loss for K div, his family, and his friends.

BeadWindow said:
Jose was a really good friend of mine. A former pilot in the CF and a CIC officer and just an all around great guy. Ill be attending his service tommorow. A great loss for K div, his family, and his friends.

Damn - I  knew a Captain Jose Agostinho when I was with 440 Sqn in the early '90s.  I was wondering if this officer was the same Jose Agostinho - apparently he was.  Not that my knowing him in any way makes his passing any more or less tragic.

My thoughts are with his family - my wife's brother is an RCMP officer, every time something like this happens (too bloody often) our phone lines get burned up by the communications they are required to carry.

I've never met a "bad" RCMP officer (and I'm convinced they don't exist), and I respect them for what they do, every day, to keep us safe from ourselves.

Stand easy, Trooper - your shift is over.

Back