• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seen on Flat bed heading west of Ottawa, M109?

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
I was travelling home from Ottawa ( Wednesday Aug 6, 2014)  around 1745 hrs, and came across a flat bed hauling what  looked a brand new or refurbished M109. Are M109s coming back to the Gunners' world? Or is some base or unit getting a gate marker? Or does the British army in the west training with M109s?
Just curious if anyone knows , there was decal on it I think it said LC109 I was passing it 110Km a hour, could be wrong on what I read.

M109's are not coming back to the Canadian gunners any time soon and probably never.

FormerHorseGuard said:
I was travelling home from Ottawa ( Wednesday Aug 6, 2014)  around 1745 hrs, and came across a flat bed hauling what  looked a brand new or refurbished M109. Are M109s coming back to the Gunners' world? Or is some base or unit getting a gate marker? Or does the British army in the west training with M109s?
Just curious if anyone knows , there was decal on it I think it said LC109 I was passing it 110Km a hour, could be wrong on what I read.

My guess is that what you saw was a M109 that just finished getting turned into a museum piece

MilEME09 said:
My guess is that what you saw was a M109 that just finished getting turned into a museum piece

I have seen some of the paperwork including the CFR regarding the installation of a M109 as a display piece in the Veterans' Memorial Park here in North Grenville, ON.

FormerHorseGuard said:
Are M109s coming back to the Gunners' world? 

If they were coming back, it would make the tune I composed that hangs in the Artillery museum in Shilo kind of awkward.  " The First Regiments farewell to the M109 " !! 

jeffb said:
M109's are not coming back to the Canadian gunners any time soon and probably never.

There FTFY.  Far too many things the arty needs more than refurbished SPGs

Until such time that we find ourselves fighting anyone with any kind of credible artillery/ counter battery capability or trying to provide fire support to an armoured BG on the advance. Unless those things happen then yes, you are correct.

Old Sweat said:
I have seen some of the paperwork including the CFR regarding the installation of a M109 as a display piece in the Veterans' Memorial Park here in North Grenville, ON.

I know I am reviving a necropsy, but my wife and I headed down 416 for an extended weekend in our trailer. First we attended the charity BBQ at our local OPP detachment. As we left it heading towards 416 we noticed a large crane and other vehicles at the concrete pad at our Veteran's Memorial Park. A few minutes later driving south on 416, we met a low bed heading north carrying a M109.

I guess I will check it out tomorrow when I come up to do some errands. This means a lot to me as in 1968 I was tasked to form the M109 wing at the school and conduct all the training on them. Great job and my favourite gun ever.

Old Sweat said:
I know I am reviving a necropsy, but my wife and I headed down 416 for an extended weekend in our trailer. First we attended the charity BBQ at our local OPP detachment. As we left it heading towards 416 we noticed a large crane and other vehicles at the concrete pad at our Veteran's Memorial Park. A few minutes later driving south on 416, we met a low bed heading north carrying a M109.

I guess I will check it out tomorrow when I come up to do some errands. This means a lot to me as in 1968 I was tasked to form the M109 wing at the school and conduct all the training on them. Great job and my favourite gun ever.

Just learned she is on the pad.

Colin P said:
A chap I know out west says he has wrangled a deal to get 1 or 2

For display, for percussion in the 1812 overture, or to protect his BC Agriculture outposts?  ;D

Back