• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking quotation fm WWI or II, re being prom to a high rank at a young age

bridges

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings all,

A colleague has been approached by someone involved in future promotion policy, and who is seeking "a short, pithy quotation by or about a First or Second World War soldier -- not airman or sailor -- promoted to a high rank at a young age because of demonstrable leadership qualities.  High rank, in this case, means CSM/RSM (WO2 or WO1), Maj/LCol (Coy or Bn command) or MGen (Div Command -- Dan Spry/Bert Hoffmeister being obvious examples)." 

Apparently the ultimate aim is to produce guidelines aimed at facilitating the promotion of good, young,
battlefield leaders without prejudice to the more staid peacetime promotion rhythms.  (i.e., not all one thing, not all the other). 

Duffy and Charlie Martin are CSM/RSM examples; perhaps Rowley (CH of O) is young enough to count; also Dan Spry and Hoffmeister.  Any and all other suggestions, complete with the quotation, would be welcome.  The quotation has been requested for 23 May and will accompany Napoleon's about privates carrying field marshals' batons in their knapsacks. 

Any ideas or a point in the right direction would be most appreciated.  Many thanks.

One of my fav. quotes, I dont know if its meets your criteria but I really like it.
Col. Charles Merritt commenting on Dieppe (where he won the VC and still had a bridge named after him).
"We were very glad to go, we were delighted."
"We were up against a very difficult situation, and we didn't win. But to hell with this business of saying the generals done us dirt."

edit:
http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/media/bg_merritt_e.html
Cecil Ingersoll Merritt was born on November 10, 1908
Merritt was promoted to the rank of Major at the outbreak of war and held staff appointments until March 1942, when he was transferred to command the South Saskatchewan Regiment.
CBC Correspondent Wallace Reyburn:
"Now men," he said, "we're going to get across. Follow me. Don't bunch up together, spread out. Here we go!" Erect and bare-headed, he strode forward onto the bridge. His helmet hung from his wrist as he walked. As I watched him lead his men through that thundering barrage, I felt a quiver run up and down my spine. I'd never seen anything like it.

Bridges,

There were a number of very successful battalion/regimental commanders in their mid-twenties during the Second World War. For example, Dextraze in the FMR, 'Snuffy' Smith' and then Ned Amy in the 22nd Canadian Armoured Regiment and Lockie Fulton in the Royal Winnpeg Rifles.

The only one of these gentlemen I can provide a quote from is Fulton during Operation Veritable. The battalion had been ordered to capture Moyland Wood. The other two battalions in the brigade had alreadt tried and failed with very heavy casualties and the brigade commander had been fired. Fulton had decided to employ the Wasp flamethrowers mounted in Universal Carriers with the rifle companies to burn the German paratroopers out of their positions. His Carrier Platoon Commander protested, as this was against all the published doctrine. Rather than rant or bluster along the line of you have your orders, now get on with it, Fulton put his arm around his shoulder and quietly said "it will be alright, We have to do it." And it was. The Little Black Devils cleared the wood in a matter of hours, although with 44% casualties in the rifle companies. I hesitate to wonder what would have happened if the Wasps had not been used. (I was told this story by the gentleman who commanded Scout Platoon at the time and was present.)

"You Canadians take all the fun out of war," one British officer complained." after MacNaughton's success at Vimy.

FascistLibertarian, Old Sweat and 3rd Herd,

Thank you very much for these replies & interesting quotes.  I forwarded them on to those who had requested them, and I believe that at least one of the quotes is being considered for inclusion in future promotion policy and associated info.  I have learned some interesting things reading them as well.  Thanks once again.

Regards,
bridges

This is more of an example of what you are seeking, not a quote.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,93825,00.html

meritorious promotions are not used as rewards or when a personal commendation or award is appropriate. A meritorious promotion is based entirely on the Marine’s demonstrated capability to employ the responsibilities and duties of their higher rank in an appropriate method.

“Staff Sgt. Leahey led his platoon through many successful missions and was very noticeable about it,” said the Fliegel, a Dundas, Minn., native. “You can always tell who his guys were because they emulated him.”

Leahey’s squad were always ready for whatever was thrown at us, at any time, he said. One night they received notice of a high-valued individual spotted in a building. His squad was on the scene, had the individual detained and brought back to our base within one hour. This man was a Marine Expeditionary Force-level, high-valued target.

Bridges,
if you have the time pick up Wayne Ralph's Barker VC. You will find the chapters on the formation of the RCAF interesting. Barker lays out some very interesting arguments and a couple of great quotes.

Hi 3rd Herd,

I've managed to find a copy at my workplace.  It is interesting - thanks for the recommendation.

Regards

Back