• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking Procurement Advice

Lightguns

Inactive
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen

I completed my non-restricted PAL and am set to become a firearms owner again (with the registry gone I feel more comfortable becoming so).  I got a house set on the edge of a 2 by 10 mile piece of woods that I own and I have a coyote problem.  I even got a coyote looking in the window at night at my cats.  I am thinking of getting a firearm but not sure of specific calibre.  To shoot varmints all year in NB it has to be less than 23 calibre.  My land is all heavily wooded with new growth hardwood and the back quarter has a deep creek with swamp land.  There is almost no place for long range shots.  I am looking at a NEF single-shot Handi-Rifle in 223, 22 hornet or 22 WMR with aperture sights.  I do like the idea of single shot, break action; simple, cheap and ever reliable.  What about bullets which is cheaper and more readily available?  Any voices of experience out there? 

Take a close look at your regs, it might stipulate more than just the calibre. Lots of choice in the .17-.22 range. Going after Coyote most people use .223 or similar. Smaller can be .17HMR to .22Hornet. Don't overlook .22shorts in a longish barrel, very quiet. Not to mention some of the Air rifles have very high velocities and are quite deadly to small game and also very quiet.

We used to hunt coyote with .223, but that was on the prairie with a rest and 300-400 yard views.  Wooded lot you could go a lot smaller as Colin says.

The .17 HMR round might be a good option for you.

The Gun Dealer in Macadam NB has some items:

http://thegundealer.net/used%20gun%20price%20list.htm

Cooey .22:

41999.JPG

A NEF single-shot break action in .22 HM2:
41926.JPG

There's a .223 Savage:

41966.JPG

I can appreciate wanting a simple rifle...my suggestion is to take a drive down to see the shop (not affiliated at all with them BTW) and see what they have in store.

NS

Back