• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

security contractor Blackwater trained Canadian troops without U.S. permission

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Notorious security contractor Blackwater trained Canadian troops without U.S. permission: court documents
Murray Brewster, The Canadian Press | Aug 8, 2012
Article Link

OTTAWA — Canadian troops and police were trained for two years by the international security contractor formerly known as Blackwater without the permission of the U.S. State Department.

The revelation is contained in U.S. federal court records, unsealed in North Carolina as part of a $7.5 million settlement of criminal charges against the company now called Academi LLC.

It is the second time Canada’s association with the notorious security company, often described as the world’s largest mercenary army, has arisen in a complex legal case that has been churning its way through U.S. courts.

Blackwater, which changed its name to Xe Services before being sold and becoming Academi LLC, was cited in August 2010 for the unauthorized export of technical data to the Canadian military.

The Harper government has had a standing, untendered contract with the company since 2008 and the NDP’s defence critic is now calling for a further investigation into the country’s ties to the company.

It’s paid millions of dollars going back to 2006 for specialized training provided to special forces troops and some police officers.

U.S. prosecutors say Blackwater didn’t seek the permission required under American arms control laws for the instruction, which took place between 2006 and 2008 and included training in marksmanship, defensive driving, bodyguard and close combat skills.

The company had a myriad of subsidiaries.

Some of what Blackwater companies taught the Canadian military involved the company’s “Mirror Image” course, according to court documents filed in Raleigh, N.C. The program sees trainees living as a mock al-Qaida cell to better understand the mindset and culture of insurgents.

It is a “classroom and field training program designed to simulate terrorist recruitment, training, techniques and operational tactics,” said a Blackwater brochure.

The course was offered by the now-defunct Blackwater subsidiary Terrorism Research Centre, which in addition to the immersion-like training provided advice to governments and U.S. cities on intelligence-gathering. The centre was shut down by the new owners.
More on link

Just read that article.  I wonder what the NDP really think of the people behind the scenes, keeping them safe at night in their innocent and naive world.  Why question the training of the professionals who are there to keep you safe in your little corner of the planet?  Why not question why your Party really exists? 

Politicians in the NDP might actually have to realize that 1st world values and beliefs aren't universally applied everywhere.

You'd think with their heads firmly planted up their a**es, they'd be a little more introspective.

I thought Blackwater or Academi simply had a contract with the US government to provide security forces in Afghanistan and Iraq. Primarily from what i understood for high ranking politicians and for convoys. I didn't realize that they were more directly under federal control. What will this do to the training program for such things as Close Protection.

Marc

M Feetham said:
I thought Blackwater or Academi simply had a contract with the US government to provide security forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.

They've done more then just security work under contract for the US,  they've also trained a number of US Mil and LEO.  Plus all the non Americans they have trained(not just Canadians)

M Feetham said:
I didn't realize that they were more directly under federal control.

They are a private company,  that does some contract work,  but they are not under federal control(aside from following US Laws).  The issue(what I see in the article) is certain things they teach need approval before they can teach non Americans.  Same for other American products(items like NODs, weapons, etc) need approval from the Government before they can leave the country.

U.S. prosecutors say Blackwater didn’t seek the permission required under American arms control laws for the instruction, which took place between 2006 and 2008 and included training in marksmanship, defensive driving, bodyguard and close combat skills.

M Feetham said:
What will this do to the training program for such things as Close Protection.

In the short term,  probably nothing.  Long term,  no idea..  could change nothing as long as they get the proper approval for train Canadians or it could have an impact.  - Pure speculation on my part.

M Feetham said:
What will this do to the training program for such things as Close Protection.

Marc

Skeletor missed this in the article "The revelation is contained in U.S. federal court records, unsealed in North Carolina as part of a $7.5 million settlement of criminal charges against the company now called Academi LLC."

Since the matter has actually been settled, I don't think its going to effect any programs with them provided they do the paperwork this time.  ;)

Hatchet Man said:
Skeletor missed this in the article "The revelation is contained in U.S. federal court records, unsealed in North Carolina as part of a $7.5 million settlement of criminal charges against the company now called Academi LLC."

Since the matter has actually been settled, I don't think its going to effect any programs with them provided they do the paperwork this time.  ;)

I saw that too,  as well as another article saying they settled earlier this month.  I just decided to quote/talk about the part of the article that directly involved Academi/Xe/Blackwater and Canada.  The rest of their legal issues seems too have revolved around
The list of violations includes possessing automatic weapons in the United States without registration, lying to federal firearms regulators about weapons provided to the king of Jordan, passing secret plans for armored personnel carriers to Sweden and Denmark without U.S. government approval and illegally shipping body armor overseas.

But it seems they are in the clear now as long as they obey US Laws,  and as long as they do things legally it'll be back to business as usual for them

Under the terms of the deferred prosecution agreement, the company acknowledged "responsibility for the conduct" in the 17 alleged violations and settles all charges with the government in exchange for payment of the $7.5 million fine and assurances the company will reform its conduct. The agreement also requires future monitoring and audits for full compliance with federal firearms laws.
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article/94445--company-once-known-as-blackwater-settles-arms-case

Back