• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second World War Service Records

roughneckrico

Inactive
Reaction score
I am trying to locate the service records of my grandfather we enrolled during WWII.

I myself am a PRes O and am the only one in my family to enroll since my grandfather. I would like to know more about him and what he did in the Forces.

I know very little. The only background I ahve is, I do not believe he made it to the war, just the training. From what I understand, by the time he was trained, the war was over.

I would like to know more about him, as I never met the man. Sadly he died a month before my father was born.

Start here: Canadian Forces after 1918 (including Second World War)

That should give you some guidance on what you need to know before you start your enquiries. That being said, there's some good historians here that can help once you've done the initial leg work.

You will need his full name, service number, and unit at a minimum. Date of service, DOB and DOD would be helpful as well.

After reading this, have a question, would there be a record of POW time in the file?
I am just thinking of asking for my grandfathers records, to see what happened to him for 6 to 8 months while he was in Burma, his flight records are blank, then he shows up in another war zone flying again. jsut curious because he spoke of pow camps as if he was in one, but never came out and said so

Any ideas if i could find that  out?

ModlrMike said:
You will need his full name, service number, and unit at a minimum. Date of service, DOB and DOD would be helpful as well.

The Archives will often do their best with any information provided. Working through a local researcher in Ottawa, I have had luck with just the name and service number, and with just name and birthdate, when no other info was readily available. But they won't start opening all the "John Smith" files to try and find the man who was "in Halifax in late '43."

Back