• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Search for New Canadian Ranger Rifle (merged)

A question, and just a question for my knowledge.  Why not just issue the Canadian Rangers the C7, the same rifle issued to the Canadian Army

Tom

expwor said:
A question, and just a question for my knowledge.  Why not just issue the Canadian Rangers the C7, the same rifle issued to the Canadian Army

Tom

.303 is better at stopping polar bears than 5.56.

Brasidas said:
.303 is better at stopping polar bears than 5.56.

OK...Thanks  Makes Sense
Now a real dumb follow up question then.  What does the Canadian Army used when deployed up North
BTW in all seriousness I'm asking for my knowledge/education

Tom

Rangers also keep their weapons at all times, hence no C7s.

I'll say again. Mosin Nagant 38's or 44's. Tons of spare parts and rifles everywhere. Cheap, plentiful and powerful ammo, quite on par with .303 Brit. Very little, if any, orientation.

And the rifles are cheap and there's tons of armoury rebuilds that are like new.

I don't see a problem. Cut out the contractors, lobbyists and assorted oxygen thieves that make it impossible for us to procure anything.

They can even be put into a modern non wood stock. $200 for a rifle and another $125 for the stock. Easy peasy and likely much cheaper for a mass buy.

Picture description - M44 on top and a M38 below.

7.62 MM Galil comes with 10 round magazine as well as the standard 25 round magazine . During tests by the Alaskan State Police it was the only rifle tested that functioned  in the extreme arctic conditions without a hic up ( it was however not adopted ).

The Mosin was designed to fight in the deep winters of Russia. Which can be crueler than our own.

recceguy said:
I don't see a problem. Cut out the contractors, lobbyists and assorted oxygen thieves that make it impossible for us to procure anything.
You wild-eyed dreamer, you - the orange bit answers the yellow bit  ;D

recceguy said:
The Mosin was designed to fight in the deep winters of Russia. Which can be crueler than our own.
:nod:

But, but, what happens when the Great Red Surge invades? How will be able to distinguish friend or foe? ;)

captloadie said:
But, but, what happens when the Great Red Surge invades? How will be able to distinguish friend or foe? ;)
Easy peasy - the good guys'll be in red hoodies ....
index-organization.jpg

.... and the bad guys'll be in unmarked combat clothing saying (in accented Innu) they're NOT Russian troops, but local defence militia forces  ;D
russian-troops-in-crimea.jpg

expwor said:
OK...Thanks  Makes Sense
Now a real dumb follow up question then.  What does the Canadian Army used when deployed up North

Tom

At ARCG we issue C7s to all as personal weapons. Pl and Coy HQ's are allocated a number of No.4's and Remington 870's (usually a pair of both for each HQ). These are not issued to individuals in particular. They are Pl and Coy assets that are deployed at the commander's pleasure after threat assessment.

Mr. St-Cyr said:
At ARCG we issue C7s to all as personal weapons. Pl and Coy HQ's are allocated a number of No.4's and Remington 870's (usually a pair of both for each HQ). These are not issued to individuals in particular. They are Pl and Coy assets that are deployed at the commander's pleasure after threat assessment.

Thanks

Tom

No problem.

I will also add that we sometimes don't deploy with weapons if the threat is at zero or if the mission parameters dictate it. In those cases, they are left with the RQ. Rangers are attached to us in all cases (I've never been without them, YMMV). The Rangers are Coy and Pl assets as well and they are assigned to callsigns at the commander's pleasure. SOP has generally been 2 per Pl HQ. They carry either No.4's or their personal rifles.

expwor said:
OK...Thanks  Makes Sense

Tom

In 18, we had a bear patrol in camp on Resolute Island, 2 men with C1s with 10 rounds on soft point 7.62.  They were a hard lead soft point, I seem to remember the CQ saying 220 grains.  Mags on but round up the spout.  My history lesson for the day!

68, 78, or 88 - (time the C1A1 was in service) -- though nowhere in my C1A1 pam do I see that ammunition authorized.

220 Gr is usually subsonic in .308 - most SP loadings are from 165-180gr

The rangers currently get Brit 303 SP
cartridge case 210 grains
bullet 215  grains
propellant 40 grains

KevinB said:
68, 78, or 88 - (time the C1A1 was in service)

I figured "81".

For some people, there's little perceived difference between 1918 and 1981 anyway.

81, that typing numbers and letters backwards has been happening a lot since I passed 50. 

KevinB said:
68, 78, or 88 - (time the C1A1 was in service) -- though nowhere in my C1A1 pam do I see that ammunition authorized.

220 Gr is usually subsonic in .308 - most SP loadings are from 165-180gr

I had 180gr Dominion soft points when I did polar bear overwatch in '76, with a C1. I was told that if I had to shoot one, there better be powder burns on the fur. 8)

Back