• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Search for New Canadian Ranger Rifle (merged)

I can see it morphing into something like this if they added a GL requirement:

140315170893.jpg

To my completely uneducated eyeball, it looks like the Ruger Scout Rifle's available flash suppressor might already be capable of launching 22mm rifle grenades.

There. Done. Fitted for, but not with, rifle grenades.

They need a compact rifle that they can safely carry slung without interfering with anything as they ride their ski-doos at 100 + KM/H through the tundra. Some Rangers take out polar bears (1 shot most of the time; take out the brain and they mostly die) with their personal bolt action .223's (not to mention their venerable 303's and I've even worked with a Ranger who carried his Nork M305 along with us) already so .308 is plenty sufficient for them. Otherwise, mobility and reliability is what they need.

I see them best served with something like a Ruger Gunsight or Mossberg MVP carbine, etc. 18'' barrel at most. .308 cal.

Perhaps people are confusing Canadian Rangers with soldiers.  The main purpose of the rifle is to keep alive in the wilds and self defence, not to engage an enemy army.  Grenade launchers?  Seriously?  There has to be a million surplus Lee Enfields out there.  I own 4 of them and paid less than $100 apiece, although some years ago.  I think they already have a good rifle. 

I looked up what people are asking for Lee Enfields and the cheap ones are $ 300 - $ 400.  Wow!

I am quite aware what the current tasks are for Rangers, but are you aware what there tasks might be in a decade or even 20 years out? The only constant is that we get into things we never planned to do. Russia, South Africa, Korea, Croatia, Afghanistan and now perhaps Iraq. It's entirely possible that with the way our equipment is going, the only response we can generate is those guys on ski-doos to counter some unforeseen threat. Since we have already screwed this contact up, might as well think out of the box we have built for a bit, before we screw the lid back on for another 20 years.

Colin P said:
I am quite aware what the current tasks are for Rangers, but are you aware what there tasks might be in a decade or even 20 years out? The only constant is that we get into things we never planned to do. Russia, South Africa, Korea, Croatia, Afghanistan and now perhaps Iraq. It's entirely possible that with the way our equipment is going, the only response we can generate is those guys on ski-doos to counter some unforeseen threat. Since we have already screwed this contact up, might as well think out of the box we have built for a bit, before we screw the lid back on for another 20 years.

If the only response we can generate is those guys on Ski-Doos then the battle is already lost. The quality of training they have varies person to person, as does the rifles they choose (note I used the word choose not issued) to use. The quantity of ammo is also extremely limited up there as well so any response will be very limited if only due to lack of ammo to resupply themselves with.

They are NOT soldiers, they are not guerillas, hell I am not even sure why we have them besides to add a larger native population to the CF and say we are doing 'something' for Arctic sovereignty. All they need for a rifle is something to defend themselves from the wild animals in the region. So make a simple bolt-action in 7.62 Nato and make a fair bit of spare parts to keep them going, it isn't rocket science, most designs that would work are already over 100 years old (M1917 Enfield would be a good choice as the Danish version of the Rangers still use it, a remade K31 in 7.62 Nato would also be a good choice, or just make a 7.62 Nato Lee Enfield as there have been multiple designs made off that action).

NavyShooter said:
I can see it morphing into something like this if they added a GL requirement:

140315170893.jpg

It looks like these will meet the 'new Ranger rifle must be ugly' requirements at any rate...  ;D

I think the owner said it was....

NOT mine.  I don't have the heart to do this to an Enfield.

The only 'good' part of this (in terms of Canada) is that this is a mod based on the No1 Mk 3 action (note the rounded rear portion of the receiver, and the lack of a rear receiver mounted sight) and these are so old (believe it or not!) that Canada no longer holds any in service.

So, we *should* be safe....unless someone comes back with a No4 MK1 version of this....

DO you have any idea how many Gunnutz fanboys will be cutting up enfields to make this crap now!  You sir, are now part of the problem.  The "Free NavyShooter" campaign will grind to a halt!

Back