• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Search for New Canadian Ranger Rifle (merged)

quadrapiper said:
Lee Enfields are still used by cadets for drill . . .

Why should a traditional weapon with an historical connection to our military heritage be relegated to cadets?  It is only logical that our serving soldiers have the appropriate legacy items to complement pips and crowns, Elliot's eye and silver insignia.  If we want them to look like they did before unification, let's do it right.

[/sarcasm] . . .

P.S.  the photo is from 1961 St. John's NF  . . . guess the RCAF weren't trusted with FNs

Chrome plated Sniders-Martini-Henery's-Lee Metfords-Ross rifles-Lee Enfields and FNC1's for the honour guards.  ;D

Beadwindow 7 said:
.308 Winchester.

Which actually has me thinking about their ammo procurement. Will they source .308 for the Patrols, or will they try to go with NATO 7.62x51?

Part of the contract was .308 ammo, there was an allocation of X number of rounds per rifle.  I just can't remember the number off the top of my head.

It looks like each rifle is coming with two cases. A soft case and a huge, custom engraved Pelican case.  That hard case will probably cost $800-$1000 on its own lol 

Also seen something about each rifle coming with a trigger lock and a cleaning kit.  I wonder if it will be like the shitty $41 C7 cleaning kits we get issued now. Probably some fancy $100-$200 job.

daftandbarmy said:
Can I swap my C7A2 for one of those :nod:? Please?

Sure you can, just move to a small town and transfer!

CFSAC just got a lot more interesting.

Privateer said:
What are they doing for optics?

It has iron sights but has a rail on it so if in the future optics can be mounted on it, or if the ranger unofficially happens to mount a sight he can do so without modifying the weapon.

dangerboy said:
It has iron sights but has a rail on it so if in the future optics can be mounted on it, or if the ranger unofficially happens to mount a sight he can do so without modifying the weapon.

If we were able to knock off a few hundred more of these and issue them to the infantry we would have a nice little 'designated marksman' rifle.

dangerboy said:

Thanks.  The picture on the link posted by RocketRichard did not show iron sights, which is why I asked.

Colin P said:
Next he will want a Claymore and Bow & Arrows

Oh pshaw...

The only thing missing from this new rifle, that would make me happy as a clam, is a bayonet of course.  ;)

Here's an Army.ca-friendly link to a news article showing the new rifle in its shiny case. Looks pretty sweet.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2015/06/23/canadian-rangers-have-new-rifle/

Canadian-Rangers-Rifle.jpg

recceguy said:
I wonder whether the Enfields will be collected and sold as surplus to the civvie market?
Here's at least part of what will happen ....
... members of the Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups, who are adults and meet the requirements prescribed by law to hold weapons will be gifted their Lee Enfield rifles when the new C-19 Ranger Rifles are issued ...
I wonder if that'll cover all the Lee-Enfields in the system?

Good idea.  Minimal cost disposal, and it should be pleasing to the Rangers.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/news-publications/national-news-details-no-menu.page?doc=canadian-rangers-approve-of-smaller-more-powerful-new-rifles/ievvvdk2

Back