• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Shepherd's Watson arrested in Germany

You have to be pretty ignorant to believe the Japanese are hunting the whales for scientific research.  As a scientist and as a biologist I can assure you that the "research" if there ever was any could have been with many fewer whales then they have killed.  Research is great, but there are many non-invasive methods that could be used to get the research they have accomplished. Please see the following articles.  I can and will get many more if you feel that scientific whaling is indeed the purpose of the Japanese industry.

That being said, I do not agree with Paul Watson's methods, but his ideology is sound.

Whaling as Science
PHILLIP J. CLAPHAM, PER BERGGREN, SIMON CHILDERHOUSE, NANCY A. FRIDAY, TOSHIO KASUYA, LAURENCE KELL, KARL-HERMANN KOCK, SILVIA MANZANILLA-NAIM, GIUSEPPE NOTABARTOLO DI SCIARA, WILLIAM F. PERRIN, ANDREW J. READ, RANDALL R. REEVES, EMER ROGAN, LORENZO ROJAS-BRACHO, TIM D. SMITH, MICHAEL STACHOWITSCH, BARBARA L. TAYLOR, DEBORAH THIELE, PAUL R. WADE and ROBERT L. BROWNELL JR.
BioScience
Vol. 53, No. 3 (March 2003), pp. 210-212

Further Scrutiny of Scientific Whaling
Robert L. Brownell Jr., Southwest Fisheries Science Center, Post Office 271, La Jolla, CA 92038, USA
Michael F. Tillman, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, Post Office 271, La Jolla, CA 92038, USA
Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara, Istituto Centrale per la Ricerca Applicata al Mare, Via di Casalotti 300, 00166 Roma, Italia
Per Berggren, Department of Zoology, Stockholm University, S- 106 91 Stockholm Sweden
Andrew Read, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke Univer- sity Marine Laboratory, Beaufort, NC 28516, USA

Scientific Whaling: Source of Illegal Products for Market?
C. Scott Baker, G. M. Lento, F. Cipriano, M. L. Dalebout, and S. R. Palumbi
Response from Mutsuo Goto and Seiji Ohsumi
Science 1 December 2000: 1695-1696.
Date of this Version
12-1-2000
Comments
Published in Science, New Series, Vol. 290, No. 5497 (Dec. 1, 2000), p. 1696.

northernboy_24 said:
You have to be pretty ignorant to believe the Japanese are hunting the whales for scientific research.  As a scientist and as a biologist I can assure you that the "research" if there ever was any could have been with many fewer whales then they have killed.  Research is great, but there are many non-invasive methods that could be used to get the research they have accomplished. Please see the following articles.  I can and will get many more if you feel that scientific whaling is indeed the purpose of the Japanese industry.

That being said, I do not agree with Paul Watson's methods, but his ideology is sound.

Whaling as Science
PHILLIP J. CLAPHAM, PER BERGGREN, SIMON CHILDERHOUSE, NANCY A. FRIDAY, TOSHIO KASUYA, LAURENCE KELL, KARL-HERMANN KOCK, SILVIA MANZANILLA-NAIM, GIUSEPPE NOTABARTOLO DI SCIARA, WILLIAM F. PERRIN, ANDREW J. READ, RANDALL R. REEVES, EMER ROGAN, LORENZO ROJAS-BRACHO, TIM D. SMITH, MICHAEL STACHOWITSCH, BARBARA L. TAYLOR, DEBORAH THIELE, PAUL R. WADE and ROBERT L. BROWNELL JR.
BioScience
Vol. 53, No. 3 (March 2003), pp. 210-212

Further Scrutiny of Scientific Whaling
Robert L. Brownell Jr., Southwest Fisheries Science Center, Post Office 271, La Jolla, CA 92038, USA
Michael F. Tillman, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, Post Office 271, La Jolla, CA 92038, USA
Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara, Istituto Centrale per la Ricerca Applicata al Mare, Via di Casalotti 300, 00166 Roma, Italia
Per Berggren, Department of Zoology, Stockholm University, S- 106 91 Stockholm Sweden
Andrew Read, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke Univer- sity Marine Laboratory, Beaufort, NC 28516, USA

Scientific Whaling: Source of Illegal Products for Market?
C. Scott Baker, G. M. Lento, F. Cipriano, M. L. Dalebout, and S. R. Palumbi
Response from Mutsuo Goto and Seiji Ohsumi
Science 1 December 2000: 1695-1696.
Date of this Version
12-1-2000
Comments
Published in Science, New Series, Vol. 290, No. 5497 (Dec. 1, 2000), p. 1696.

They could just drop out of the IWC and whale commercially but they haven't. The entire point of their research is to prove that commercial whaling of the minke in the southern ocean viable.

my72jeep said:
That I did not know thank you.

My point being is that the French generally dislike outsiders meddling in their business.....no?

Jim Seggie said:
My point being is that the French generally dislike outsiders meddling in their business.....no?
C'est la guerre.  ;)

An update on what may happen to Watson's vessel:

Canadian Press

Once notorious ship facing scrap heap after years of legal wrangling

The Canadian Press
March 29, 2016

SHELBURNE, N.S. - In the seven years since the MV Farley Mowat was seized at gunpoint by the RCMP, the once notorious flagship of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has become a festering eyesore on Canada's east coast.

The flat-black ship was part of a small, militant fleet commanded by Canadian environmental crusader Paul Watson, who at the time was described as a "terrorist" by former Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams.

In Shelburne, N.S., the ship's latest port of call under the ownership of scrap dealer Tracy Dodds, the rusting, battered hulk is now the subject of a court battle that appears to be coming to a head.

(...SNIPPED)

Back