• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea King Life

Nikki55

Inactive
Reaction score
I am near the end of my BANC course and have to give my posting preferences. I am interested in Sea King (East Coast) but would like to know how life is as a crew member on the Sea King. I would really like to know how the deployment and ship life works! Does it mean going on deployment for more than 6 months of the year, every year or what? If anyone can let me know how a tour on the Sea King actually is please do!!!!
:cdn:

I recently completed a tour at a MH squadron and spent a total of about 20 months at sea. That works out to an average of slightly less than six months a year. However, in those four years I did two six month deployments and your last year on Sqn is usually in a HQ position where you tend to go to sea less, which tends to skew the average a bit. The specific Sqn manning at the time and the Navy's deployment schedule will affect how much any one person sails. However, I would venture to guess that you will spend between four - six months of your first three to four years on Sqn at sea (this doesn't include courses or other TD). I would suggest that if you think you will not like sailing on HMC ship then maybe the MH community isn't for you.

There have been a couple of past threads on what the TACCO job is like, however, your best source of info would be to ask any of the Nav instructors with a Sea King background at CFANS.

Fire away any more specific questions you have or PM if you prefer.

East Coast?!  The west coast flying club is where it's at!  ;D

Sorry I can't give you any more info as to how much time we spend at sea, as I am presently on the OTU, so I haven't had the chance.  But I can echo what h3tacco says and say it all depends on what the navy is doing.  There are guys and gals that try to get lots of sea time (sea time = tonnes of flying), and others that seem to successfully avoid long stints of it!  Personally, I'm looking forward to it.  443 Sqn (the west coast) has a few great deployments coming up.

Cheers

Back