• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea cadet march pasts/parades--is there any historical basis for their format?

Do any sea cadets here parade with units that simply do divisions and/or a proper marchpast (as per either manual)?

I think due to retstraints on size of Parade squares has a BIG impact on march past format... HMCS ONTARIO at RMC in Kingston Ontario and HMCS QUADRA in Comox BC have the exact same March past format just slightly different due to size... There is also the Cermonial Parades such as Cemermony of the Flags done at HMCS QUADRA every two weeks I believe throughout the summer..Mind you its been years for myself but I am pretty sure this hasnt changed..
This quote was taken righ tout of the manual..

Did you know that before 1968, the drill of the Navy, Army, and Air Force differed from each other? When the three services were joined together in 1968, a single drill standard was adopted. This does not mean to say, however, that elemental quirks do not still exist today.

So you need to look at before 1968 to find your answers..

Siggy

With my SC unit as well as the Navy League we do divisions only and do march pasts only on the Annual Inspection day..

Siggy

Having worked with Army, Navy, and Air Force, I found the drill was STILL different to this day (quirks like driving the right leg down at teh halt, shuffling instead of stepping, etc.... ).  Each element seems to interpret the regulations differently...

On an additional note, certain old photos of RCN ceremonial show divisions formed around the outside of the square, looking in, with the band and guard in the centre; no idea which ceremony this is, but certainly very different from the divisions-by-companies routine used today.

quadrapiper said:
On an additional note, certain old photos of RCN ceremonial show divisions formed around the outside of the square, looking in, with the band and guard in the centre

I think that more closely resembles how it's done aboard ship.

We fell in for evening quarters in a vaguely similar way when I was in the Naval Reserve: junior ranks facing one way, officers to their right facing to the jr. ranks' left, the C&POs on the opposite side facing the officers.

This picture could be of a specific graduation parade with the non graduating divisions lining the parade square.  In the 70's CFRS Cornwallis used to have all the platoons present to witness the graduating platoon and we would be off to the side.

c2nwt said:
This picture could be of a specific graduation parade with the non graduating divisions lining the parade square.  In the 70's CFRS Cornwallis used to have all the platoons present to witness the graduating platoon and we would be off to the side.
Perhaps the photo at the bottom, which I suspect is from Naden or Esquimalt - but the one below is on the Legislature Lawn in Victoria...

Back