• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SBS units for the CF?

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Reaction score
I copied this from my posting on OPV's... sorry for repeating it here:

I am currently researching something that popped up on the CASR website under the SSK Vicotria section... is there a plan in the works for an SBS type unit in the CF? That is the impression I got from the site at :

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-navrhib.htm

I have not uncovered a single authoritative document to corroborate the claim made on the page- problem is the CASR website is extremely well researched and has an outstanding reputation as a highly reliable secondary source of intel. Anybody know the latest unclass scoop on this project?

If you had researched further back, say about a year, there were CBC stories about how JTF2 had been training to operate from submarines. My guess is that is what the story was referring to.

Thanks for your info Null and Ex-Dragoon...Every time I logged on today to reply, the friggin phone rang or a colleague popped in. [shouldn't be on this site at work anyway!! ;)]  CBC articles are generally unreferenced, what one might call "hearsay", not up to professional standards. I was hoping to find something more concrete to compare against some ATI requests I had submitted. [if and when they ever get around to filling them] .. There goes another small part of my prof. dev. budget!!! 

If the JTF is going to conduct ops from subs, that's better than forming a new, separate SBS unit to compete for scarce skills and resources.  Anyway, I found the SBS note on the CASR site kind of intriguing... even if the site is tertiary as a source, the CASR site has a well established pattern of referencing or otherwise qualifying materiel bringing up new or emerging ideas.   

Cheers... [P.S.- Ex-Dragoon ... i'm going out to grab a beer[s!!]  ... will hopefully respond to the OPV thread in the next few days.   

I'm sorry, but what exactly is SBS?  Most acronyms  I can figure out... but not this one for some reason.

Sheerin said:
I'm sorry, but what exactly is SBS?   Most acronyms   I can figure out... but not this one for some reason.

Special Boat Service

We wouldn't have the personal to make another sub unit and if the pers where drawn from elsewhere (navy, JTF, SAR tech) it would severly hurt those units they came from.

Our special forces are refered to as "joint" becuase they are expected to meet the needs of all elements (and they come from all elements).  In theory, we do not need Army, Navy, or Air specific SF.

Yard Ape said:
Our special forces are referred to as "joint" because they are expected to meet the needs of all elements (and they come from all elements).   In theory, we do not need Army, Navy, or Air specific SF.

I may be wrong but i think the term joint was originally in place bbecauseof the use of OGD'S RE RCMP.

According to pugils book its because they were inspired by a team in the states called JTF-4.

archer said:
Special Boat Service

;D lol FYI in the Canadian Navy the acronym SBS used to be small boat section which was comprised of the oriole and several yags ( snotter training platforms) The acronym has changed several times it was sbu then sbs followed by nts.

chief_of_da_fence said:
I may be wrong but i think the term joint was originally in place bbecauseof the use of OGD'S RE RCMP.

From what I know JTF 2 ( what we have now) Is the result of JTF1 which was a mix of both.

there was never a mix....it went from S.E.R.T then directly to the military, Martin already said that there was never a JTF-1. :)

The RCMP team was called S.E.R.T. Special emergency response teams.....as opposed to the regular E.R.T. Emergency response teams set up by area of response.

Sure am. Course this all from that David Pugiliese's book so(except for the stuff about S.E.R.T. thats common knowledge- there are still guys floating through the RCMP that were on this team) it all depends on how much stock you put in David.

Back