• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saudi Arabia expels Canadian ambassador for urging release of activists

Conservative position on this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfBIV8fs9FI&feature=youtu.be

Retired AF Guy said:
In-depth report from the Associated Press that shows that the Saudi's and the UAE, contrary to official statements, have for the last two years have been recruiting/paying off Al-Qaida fighters to fight against rebels in Yemen.

Rest of article here.
I coukd not care less about Saudi Arabia and the murderous gang.

Country with GDP of Switzerland,  their citizens mastermind 9-11 and they continue to export their radical form is Islam that continues to destabilize nations and full the rise of groups like ISIL. And they throw a hissy fit when someone calls them out on it? .  If there is any country I would love to fall into complete and total anarchy its them.

Canada didn't call them out on any of that,  we chose to make a statement about some random dude locked up years ago for subversion. Don't misrepresent what was said.

PuckChaser said:
Canada didn't call them out on any of that,  we chose to make a statement about some random dude locked up years ago for subversion. Don't misrepresent what was said.
Correction,  Canada called them out on one of the lesser evils they choose to engage in and they throw a hissy fit like this?

Screw em.

Seriously?

Is this where we are headed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYNVH0U3cs

This row has been escalated as Saudi began selling Canadian assets. I hope someone finds a way to smooth this over.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/saudi-arabia-sells-off-canadian-assets-as-dispute-escalates/ar-BBLGy76?ocid=spartanntp

tomahawk6 said:
This row has been escalated as Saudi began selling Canadian assets. I hope someone finds a way to smooth this over.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/saudi-arabia-sells-off-canadian-assets-as-dispute-escalates/ar-BBLGy76?ocid=spartanntp

Well....Trudeau has announced that he refuses to apologize.  No matter what everyone may feel about Human Rights abuses in Saudi Arabia, or any other nation, such an 'unconditional'
terse statement is not likely to calm the situation down and lead to meaningful discussion.

George Wallace said:
Well....Trudeau has announced that he refuses to apologize.  No matter what everyone may feel about Human Rights abuses in Saudi Arabia, or any other nation, such an 'unconditional'
terse statement is not likely to calm the situation down and lead to meaningful discussion.

I don't care who the PM is or how much anyone likes or dislikes them (cough cough), you don't back down in response to this BS (hissy fit was an apt term).

The government treats Twitter and Facebook like a Parliament question period session.

The problem is sometimes the receivers of those cheap shots and jabs aren't inclined to just make cheap shots back.

Now Canadians will suffer economically  for it.

It's disingenuous to act like we're some paragon of human rights. If we were we wouldn't sell them small arms and armored vehicles. And we wouldn't do business with terrorist exporters and supporters. But our government excells at do as I say not as I do. Iran didn't just arrest a Canadian citizen they tortured and murdered one being held as a prisoner, why would the Liberals reverse the actions taken by the Conservatives?

Of course our government won't apologize. They realize SA isn't fucking around and they (Canadian government's) only savagale recourse is to play up the defenders of human rights stichk in a bid to try and garner public suppport at home and with other countries. The big image we like to play up.

The government needs to really look at their social media policy. The refugee tweet cost us hundreds of millions of dollars (and growing) with communities taxed for living space and medical services swamped. I wonder what this stupid tweet will end up costing us.

Lumber said:
I don't care who the PM is or how much anyone likes or dislikes them (cough cough), you don't back down in response to this BS (hissy fit was an apt term).

This.

Jarnhamar said:
The government treats Twitter and Facebook like a Parliament question period session.
Granted.
The problem is sometimes the receivers of those cheap shots and jabs aren't inclined to just make cheap shots back.
Granted
Now Canadians will suffer economically  for it.
Questionable.
It's disingenuous to act like we're some paragon of human rights. If we were we wouldn't sell them small arms and armored vehicles.
Better to respect the deal made by their predecessors and keep Canadas reputation as a nation that doesn't cancel trade deals when a new government takes over. Also, jobs.
And we wouldn't do business with terrorist exporters and supporters. But our government excells at do as I say not as I do. Iran didn't just arrest a Canadian citizen they tortured and murdered one being held as a prisoner, why would the Liberals reverse the actions taken by the Conservatives?
Because of the Iran nuclear deal at the time, every nation was opening ties with Iran to encourage them to stick to the deal and allow them to reap the benefits of rejoining the international community.
Of course our government won't apologize. They realize SA isn't ******* around and they (Canadian government's) only savagale recourse is to play up the defenders of human rights stichk in a bid to try and garner public suppport at home and with other countries. The big image we like to play up.
Germany didn't apologize. Neither did Sweden. Why the hell would Canada? Are we cowards, afraid of the wrath of Saudi freaking Arabia?
The government needs to really look at their social media policy. The refugee tweet cost us hundreds of millions of dollars (and growing) with communities taxed for living space and medical services swamped. I wonder what this stupid tweet will end up costing us.
Maybe, maybe not. But to stop tweeting in fear of a regressive, backwards, repressive, terrorist supporting, Wahhabism spreading, human rights abusing, civilian bombing nation with the GDP the size of Switzerland throwing a hissy fit that would make a 10 year old proud is not a smart idea. Canada, in no way, shape or form needs to change its behavior for the likes of Saudi freaking Arabia.

If Saudi Arabia wants to cut off its nose to spite its face, let them. Canada should wash our hands of them, like we should have done years ago, and move on.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/saudi-arabia-canada-oil-supplies-jailed-activists-1.4778749

A row over human rights in Saudi Arabia will not have any impact on Saudi oil supplies to Canada, its energy minister said on Thursday, reassuring customers after Riyadh froze new trade with Canada and ruled out mediation efforts.

So in short, they hate Canada and want nothing to do with us,but they wont touch their sacred cow, the sale of oil.

The only real, tangible way to hurt Canada just a little bit and they wont go there. Yeah, they are irrelevant. MbS can die of old age before any Canada PM gives him an apology.

Lumber said:

As the Toronto Sun headline says: "Diplomacy and progress are built by growing fragile relationships between nations, not by morally superior hectoring."

There are much better ways of diplomacy than to act like a spoiled child.

The Saudis just handed us a trump card. If we want to stand by our words and hit back,  immediately use notwithstanding to restart Energy East and block all Saudi oil tankers from Canadian waters.

Willing to bet Trudeau won't do that though,  so our human rights complaints are shallow without an economic backup.

Man, we didn't get through a few pages before someone blamed the Tories. If you take a look at what Ford is doing in Ontario, new governments are perfectly capable of canceling previous government decisions (Liberals even did it with EH101), just need the testicular fortitude to deal with the backlash. If we're not willing to absorb some economic loss for our principles, then declarations like Freeland/Trudeau ring hollow.

George Wallace said:
There are much better ways of diplomacy than to act like a spoiled child.

That is exactly how Saudi Arabia is acting.  Overreaction and taking a hissy fit over what amount to nothing.  The only snowflakes right now is them. 

PuckChaser said:
The Saudis just handed us a trump card. If we want to stand by our words and hit back,  immediately use notwithstanding to restart Energy East and block all Saudi oil tankers from Canadian waters.

Willing to bet Trudeau won't do that though,  so our human rights complaints are shallow without an economic backup.

Man, we didn't get through a few pages before someone blamed the Tories. If you take a look at what Ford is doing in Ontario, new governments are perfectly capable of canceling previous government decisions (Liberals even did it with EH101), just need the testicular fortitude to deal with the backlash. If we're not willing to absorb some economic loss for our principles, then declarations like Freeland/Trudeau ring hollow.
You're half right.

No need to force energy east down the throat of eastern Canada. Simply block all saudi oil from entering Canada, watch oil prices spike, and then when eastern Canadians want relief from high gas prices, energy east will be touted as the solution.

Altair said:
You're half right.

No need to force energy east down the throat of eastern Canada. Simply block all saudi oil from entering Canada, watch oil prices spike, and then when eastern Canadians want relief from high gas prices, energy east will be touted as the solution.

Eastern Canadians DO want this; it's la belle province that's the issue.

Altair said:
You're half right.

Eastern Canada wanted the pipeline. Quebec and Ontario didn't. There's a economy friendly government in Ontario now, so Quebec is the last hold out.

PuckChaser said:
Eastern Canada wanted the pipeline. Quebec and Ontario didn't. There's a economy friendly government in Ontario now, so Quebec is the last hold out.
I use eastern canada as anything west of Manitoba.  But fine, no need to shove Energy east down the throat of eastern and Central Canada(Insert rest of my post here)

PuckChaser said:

Not sure if Saudi owns any of the tankers. They could sell the oil to a middle man in Cyprus and then it's sold to us. Or their oil goes to country X, and the oil that country buys goes to us. Unless we build the infrastructure to move Oil & gas throughout the country, refine it and to export it, a boycott means little.

Back