• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAU King Says "Muslim world should eradicate the menace of extremism"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Well, it's only one statement from one leader, but it's better than nothing - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Saudi King calls for opening up to other faiths
Syed Rashid Husain, Dawn (PAK), 5 Jun 08
Article link

A gathering of Muslim scholars from around the globe got under way here on Wednesday, with call from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia to counter the challenges of rigidity, ignorance, narrow-mindedness to make the world accommodate and pay heed to the kind message of Islam without reservations, enmity and antagonism.

Addressing the select gathering of some 500 best minds of the Muslim world, the king emphasised: “We are voice of rational and just co-existence and dialogue, voice of wisdom and admonition, and argumentation with the best way possible,”

King Abdullah who entered the hall of the Safa Palace in the vicinity of Masjidul Haram along with the former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, appeared to give a clear message to the world that despite differences the Muslim world was united on most issues confronting the Ummah.

The three-day conference is aimed at launching an inter-faith dialogue with other Abrahamic religions to eradicate misconceptions about Islam. King Abdullah had announced in March that he wanted to sponsor an interfaith dialogue between the world’s monotheistic religions – specifically with Jews.

The Saudi king stressed that the Muslim world should eradicate the menace of extremism to present the religion’s good message to the world.

“You have gathered today to tell the whole world that ... we are a voice of justice and values and humanity, that we are a voice of coexistence and a just and rational dialogue.”

He said the Islamic world faced difficult challenges from extremism of some Muslims, whose aggression harmed the magnanimity, fairness and lofty aims of Islam. “That’s why the invitation for the conference was extended – to face the challenges of isolation, ignorance and narrow horizons, so that the world can absorb the good message of Islam,” he said.

Virtually all the delegates, including Hashemi Rafsanjani, praised King Abdullah for the initiative. “Before we speak with other religions, we must speak among ourselves and reach an understanding on a particular Islamic path,” Dr Rafsanjani said, calling for greater understanding between Sunnis and Shiites.

It is hoped that the meeting will reach an agreement on a global Islamic charter on dialogue with Christians and Jews.

Secretary-General of the Makkah-based Muslim World League (MWL) Dr Abdullah bin Abdulmohsen Al Turki and other scholars have underscored the importance of contact and dialogue with followers of recognised cultures and philosophies.

Two sessions of the conference will focus on issues raised by the king and other delegates during the opening session. The third session, ‘With Whom To Talk’, will focus on dialogue with representatives of recognised philosophies around the world, including Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism and other man-made philosophies.

Addressing the select gathering of some 500 best minds of the Muslim world

(tongue in cheekins:  is that all he could find?)

Over the years, the Saudi government has sent out too many conflicting messages about openmindedness and tolerance.
To come around at this time makes me wonder..... why now?

Why now?

Optimist:  He's seen the light, and wants others to do so as well.

Pessimist:  Optics, especially WRT Western audiences.

Better than nothing, but wait and see....

So I guess some nutbar radical imam will order a fatwa on the good king now.  As for Sunnis and Shiites getting along and singing kumbaya together, I kinda hope not.  A unified Muslim world with one voice could go terribly well, or horribly bad for the rest of us.

edited to fix a brief dyslexia burst.

The Turkish government has started a process using respected Muslim scholars that should be complete later this year in “modernizing” the Hadith’s, which are the day to day guide of living with the Koran, based on the prophets life and sayings. This is going to be a major step forward in an evolutionary sense. It will be in direct conflict with the more fundamental Whabbai teachings and I suspect the house of Saudi is trying to position themselves somewhere in between. Now that the fury of Radical Islam has bitten the hands that feed it, support is dropping, a lot of it has to do with the AQ performance in Iraq where AQ true colours came out. As Iraq stabilizes and the full horror of what AQ has done percolates through the Muslim world, support will dry up even more. Apparently Islamic terrorist are switching from “Jihad” as a legal basis for their attacks to “Qattai”  which appears to give justification for the killing of infidels. More on this link here:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Terrorists_now_swear_by_qattal/articleshow/3095758.cms

I haven’t found anything else to back this up, but it seems to concur with many of the recent rulings in the Muslim world that renders some of the “legal justification” that AQ used mute. 

So when's the first church or temple opening up in the "New Enlightened Kingdom"? ::)

Already starting to happen
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/32CC5571-64DA-45AA-BDE5-A0CA68CD4616.htm

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1723715,00.html

Colin P said:
Already starting to happen
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/32CC5571-64DA-45AA-BDE5-A0CA68CD4616.htm

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1723715,00.html

The church is in Qatar, not Saudi Arabia. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a church in Saudi Arabia, no matter what the Saudi king says. Yes, I am very pessimistic when it comes to anything said by Islamic leaders of any sort.

Agreed, but the driving force behind this is the sheer number of foreign workers there, as the other gulf states compromises on the issue Saudi will have a harder time recruiting and considering their terrible reputation for treatment of workers not from the west, that will mean higher wages will have to be paid. They may have to find a loophole at some point, as the cracks begin to appear in wall of isolation they built, I will not be sad.

Colin P said:
Agreed, but the driving force behind this is the sheer number of foreign workers there, as the other gulf states compromises on the issue Saudi will have a harder time recruiting and considering their terrible reputation for treatment of workers not from the west, that will mean higher wages will have to be paid. They may have to find a loophole at some point, as the cracks begin to appear in wall of isolation they built, I will not be sad.

With the openness of the Internet its not as easy to hide foreign worker abuses as it was in the last decade...

Back