• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

R

Roko

Hey,

This is kinda off topic (airforce), but I‘ll ask anyways..

What are the Canadian SAR Techs like? are they anywhere near the US Para-Rescue jumpers? From what I‘ve read up about them, they sort of are, as they do some pretty hardcore stuff, but I‘m not sure how close they are.. (I think the PJ‘s are more ‘fight your way to the rescue‘ than the SAR Techs, though.. They‘re also considered special forces in the states)

:cdn:

With all the talk of JTF and the Airbourne, I would consider the SAR techs one of the elites of the Forces. Whereas all others train for the job, these guys actual do it.

It is another of one of those trades you can not enter directly but must remuster to and go thru a rigerious selection process to gain entry.

The difference between Canada‘s SAR tech‘s and the American PJ‘s is that our SAR techs are primarily domestic search and rescue. While the PJs do assist in domestic operations they primarily train for combat search and rescue (CSAR). Our SAR techs are unfortunatley not mandated for CSAR. However the SAR techs are just as capable and dependable as any of the counterparts in other countries. Sometimes better. Their course is very hard to get onto and even harder to pass.
And RCA is right... it is one of the few units that are 100% operational and doing their primary job.

Ubique

SAR TECH trade...really great and one of the things to aspire to. Probably the most recognised part of the military that the general public knows/appreaciates. SAR Tech are invaluable to our nation, the work that they perform is top notch. Hard to get in, but I assume highly rewarding to help people in need.

I heard a statistic that i have not been able to verify, but very possibly may be true. On any given year there may be, and have been as many as 200-300 applicants for 8-10 positions. Very steep competition indeed. Best of luck to anyone who is applying.

yep, I think it‘s someting like that (It says somewheres on the DND site).

I‘d like to try when I‘ve got my 4 years experience.. It would be a hell of a job.

Okay here‘s the question I have, and I am hoping someone can provide an answer. Is the SAR Tech trade a reg force remuster only? The local recruiting center here in Ottawa was unable to help me. This coming november will be my 4 years but all 4 have been with the reserves. If anyone can clarify this issue for me, please reply. Thanks.

Hey meathead,

What unit are you with in Ottawa?

I just moved here, going to the U of O and looking at joining a resaerve unit.

There are many units in the ottawa area and it depends really on what interests you as to which unit to join. There are infantry regiments, engineer squandron, signals, service batallion if you want to be an mp, log or eme, there is an artillery unit, there is a medical company, there is the navy reserve....... what interests you?

Infantry. I was looking at the Guards and the Higlanders. I‘m trying to find out what night they each parade on, I have a few night classes that may conflict.

The Guards parade Tuesday nights, the Camerons on Thursdays. There are also, artillery, medical, and Service Bn units in Ottawa as well as The Regt. De Hull in, well, Hull.

To clarify a question asked earlier, the SAR TECH trade is only open to the regular force at this point of time.

:cdn:

A sar tech recently told me that the number of applicants for the trade is drastically decreasing. So, it may be more of a reality, to those slack and idle members. heh

Does anyone here have any experience with this trade?  I've been reading a bit about it, but not much information is available.  The fitness standard seems unreal - has anyone on this board ever tried to apply?  Anyone know how these guys operate?

Thanks.

Hunter

whats the physical standard??? I knew it was tough but.....unreal?

I know I may not have the best knowledge about this but on my intro to survival course last year, a SAR Tech jumped from a herc and landed in a lake. This was all planned of course. He came to talkabout being a SAR tach and Survival and stuff. He was saying that they were really tryiing to recruit people and that there were very little applicants in the time around when he spoke to us and instead of filtering out applicants (which would be the case when there are normally too many applicants and not enough spaces) they were accepting most people. He also said that one of the requirments was that you have to be at least a Corporal. Again I don't know how much this information will help as this was in Nova Scotia and last year.

The physical standards to pass the selection are about as rigorous as those to get into the JTF2, as are the prerequisites (to the best of my knowledge). Yes, anyone who is a Cpl or up in their trade with a certain amount of time in can apply, but the vast majority will not make it though the selection.

As I understand it, then fitness test to be a SAR Tech consists of the following:

6 metre rope climb
30 pushups
30 situps
400 metre shuttle run
2.4 km run

Indiviually none of these are all that difficult - the kicker is that the ENTIRE test must be completed in under 17 minutes. 

Back