• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

Darn, EITS, I was trying to get a rise from Journeyman...at least I did for a moment.  ;D  Oh well, I guess the feathers on JM's wings and mine are just as big and "aircrewy." :nod:

Eye In The Sky said:
Fuck, not only am I a UFI Nazi, I miss REALLY obvious humour and ribbings.  :geek:

Naw, it was pretty subtle, so not your fault...at least you and I are dedicated to making sure than X=Y, where X = number of takeoffs, and Y = number of landings.  :nod:

Cheers
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Darn, EITS, I was trying to get a rise from Journeyman...at least I did for a moment.  ;D  Oh well, I guess the feathers on JM's wings and mine are just as big and "aircrewy." :nod:
Damn you -- it takes away some of my "mocking RCAF / been-there Airborne Regt" credibility, acknowledging several sets of boyscout badges.  :mad:

So I guess it's been another wasted day; I've learned nothing.    ;D

No, that's not true;  the new blonde at Don Cherry's is "Britany"  :nod:

Journeyman said:
  No, that's not true;  the new blonde at Don Cherry's is "Britany"  :nod:

["slight" tangent]

Sure it's not with two 't's?  :-\

[/"slight" tangent]

Hey all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Is anyone thinking about selection for this year?  We had a brief on the trade here at Gagetown last week and was wondering if anyone from that brief, or in general, has / will be doing their pre-selection fitness test soon?  I'm just curious to see if there's anyone around that wants to train up for selection, should we be so lucky to be chosen!

Thanks!

Are there any current or previous SAR techs willing to PM me about the job?
Thanks in advance

I was watching TDV over the Christmas break.

So did anyone ever catch a rabbit using a snare in the survival part of Prelim? Those couple of days with no food must be brutal.

Howdy folks,

I'm looking for a solid up-to-date answer as to what the requirements are for SAR Tech application (time in, specifically).
I've heard 4 years w/ Cpl; 5 years w/ Cpl; and even 36 months for combat arms was mentioned a few pages back here.

For the record I've searched these forums as well as google, all varying results :(

Shadybrah23 said:
Howdy folks,

I'm looking for a solid up-to-date answer as to what the requirements are for SAR Tech application (time in, specifically).
I've heard 4 years w/ Cpl; 5 years w/ Cpl; and even 36 months for combat arms was mentioned a few pages back here.

For the record I've searched these forums as well as google, all varying results :(

It seems to change based on the needs at the time. I can tell you that the trade is at an all-time low and they are desperate for people... So if you are currently a member, I'd talk to your BPSO.

Hello! I am a civilian and I have a few questions about SAR and

I would really appreciate it if you can help me out.

Are there any search and rescue division in the Forces ?

Is it a trade on its own ?

and how can I join one ?

Thank you!

This thread covers a lot of questions about SAR.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/199.500.html

Would joining as an ACSO, serving 4 years and then re-mustering as a SAR tech be a reasonable path or would it be better to join as a medic or combat engineer > combat diver and then go for SAR tech?

Thanks for the feedback!

Campbell95 said:
Would joining as an ACSO, serving 4 years and then re-mustering as a SAR tech be a reasonable path or would it be better to join as a medic or combat engineer > combat diver and then go for SAR tech?

Thanks for the feedback!

None of the above. There is no best path to becoming a SAR Tech. You should pick a trade that you'll be happy doing if you never become a SAR Tech.

Thank you for the feedback. I heard a rumor from a civilian SAR member that the SAR tech trade was getting closed down or was going to stop taking on new members. I'm not sure on the details as it was passed on to me through a third party. Is there any truth to this?

Campbell95 said:
Is there any truth to this?

No.

The trade did a 5 year trial where it took civilians straight off the street but that program was closed years ago. Maybe that's what your friend is referring to.

I heard that there is a thorough medical screening as part of SAR selection. I’m a fit 24 year old that scored gold on my force test, I eat healthy and have low body fat but for whatever reason I have hypertension. My blood pressure sits around 140/90, sometimes higher. Would a condition like this be prohibitive to getting into SAR?

Back