• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

From talking to a buddy who completed selection (which was 2 weeks) there is a lot of physical as well as mental tests.  The 4 day survival which is done on your own seems unreal.  no food except some little candies for 4 days and you have a bunch of tasks to complete.  Nav is huge and you have to carry everything with you through some of the crapiest terrain there is.  Were talking parachute, survival gear, ruck sack etc.  From him describing it I would wager that it maybe even more difficult then JTF.

combat_medic said:
The physical standards to pass the selection are about as rigorous as those to get into the JTF2, as are the prerequisites (to the best of my knowledge). Yes, anyone who is a Cpl or up in their trade with a certain amount of time in can apply, but the vast majority will not make it though the selection.

You're absolutely right, it's one of those trades where you have to be MOC qualified in another trade before you can apply.  The same sorta thing for Flight Engineers (FE) and Airborne Sensor Operators (AESOP).  It's also only avail to NCMs, officers need not apply.  As for time in requirements, someone else will have to answer that.

Cheers

geez...

I met a couple SAR techs at an air show when i was 13. I thought to myself how cool would that be to parachute in remote locations to rescue people! I thought i would join as a AVN tech becaome a Cpl and go thru my chain of command to apply. But i've realized that the recruiting process for SAR techs is just as tough a JTF2. I'll still join as an AVN tech after high school. We'll just see what type of shape i'm in when i make it to Cpl.  ::)

All I can say is SAR techs are Hardcore (capital H intended). Paramedics with special forces physical standards and lots of jump training. Of course they also have it easier than most other hardcore trades since they work airside   ;D

I take it that you can be in any branch of the CF to apply as a SAR TECH? I too am in the early stages of Applying to the CF and I am joining as an AVN Tech. But I do have the goal of either being a Flight Engineer on Hercs, Auroras or Becoming a SAR TECH. Any how, we'll see how things Pan out.

I believe you must have completed your first engagement and have signed on for your second to be considered (Corporal does make sense) as far as Officers being unable to apply, I have never heard that before.

Any branch can apply to be a SAR Tech though you will be rebadged Air Force, you have to have completed 4 years in your MOC, and yes there are only NCM SAR Techs. Zoomie is in Comox where the SAR school is located and he could confirm the non-existence of officer SAR Techs.  There are officer's wearing SAR Tech wings, but they are all former NCMs that went officer and are no longer serving SAR techs.

Inch said:
Zoomie is in Comox where the SAR school is located and he could confirm the non-existence of officer SAR Techs.

Yup, SARTechs are only NCMs...  Officers fly, NCM's jump.

I would say that 80-90 % of those who apply to become a SARTech are ex-Army.  Most candidates are seen sporting their white operational CF Jump Wings.  Not to say that an AVN tech can't become one too, just the current trend doesn't quite support that notion.  Most AVN techs will either OT to Flight Engineer or AESOP.

:gunner: :skull: :skull: :cdn:
I was a SAR Tech from 1982 until 1997.   If you want the latest info on the trade and also the history of the trade which is 60 years old this year.... go to www.pararescuecanada.com   .    Our 60th reunion is in Winnipeg Sept 8-12, 2004.
Good luck to all aspiring SAR Techs.

:evil: :skull:
The Trade has seen a huge decline in applicants inn recent years, partly due to JTF attracting many, and many still think they will have a one in fivehundred chance of getting picked.  The past few years everyone who applied was able to attempt the preselection course, and had a fair chance to get on the course.  Good Luck. :salute:

Application to MOC 131 SAR Tech is done through the Continuing Occupational Transfer Program(COTP).  The prerequisite is 48 months service in a Regular Force trade and you must hold the minimum rank of Cpl.  If you are a higher rank and are selected for your QL5A, you lose your rank until you complete your first year when you are automatically promoted to MCpl.

The process for application to SAR Tech is:

1.  Submit a memo through your chain of command requesting a transfer to MOC 131 SARTech;
2.  Complete CFAO 11-12 Annex D;
3.  Complete the SAR Tech Pre-Selection Physical Fitness Test which is conducted by the PSP staff at your closest gym.  The test consists of:

DAY 1
i) 2.4km run (10:15 or less);
ii) 31 consecutive push-ups;
iii) 33 consecutive sit-ups;
iv) 8 consecutive chin-ups; and
v) 450m shuttle run.
All of the above must be completed in 16 Min's or less.

DAY 2
i) 675m continuous swim in 20 Min's or less (any stroke).

4.  Upon successful completion of your PT test you are interviewed by your B/WPSO. If are found suitable by CFRGHQ in Ottawa you will be invited to attempt a two-week pre-selection held at CFB Edmonton and Jarvis Lake, Alberta.  You will also be required to pass the CF Aircrew and Dive medicals.

Approx. 24 candidates attend selection and 12 are selected for QL5A training.  Those selected then attend an 11 month course held at CFSSAR in Comox.

Those who pass earn the right to wear the coveted orange beret and live by the SAR motto: "That Others May Live"

Good luck to all those interested.

Count on the MCpl's to set you straight (well done PPCLI)...

I would say that SAR tech and JTF operators are both special forces on opposite sides of the coin. In both you'd have to opportunity to do cool extreme sport-like things (Parachuting, diving, rock work, rappelling) and be physically and mentally challenged in ways only those in military service can be. One big difference, IMHO is "gun play". As mentioned above SAR, being predominately domestic, have no req to work with weapons.

One thing not mentioned here is the Medical Category required. You must have a V2 level of vision and CV1 level of colour vision to qualify. V3 (need to wear glasses or vision more then 50/20) will not allow you to even apply for SAR (hence why Armymedic is still a medic  :'().

I have seen all trades get into SAR, but in the army, MOC's like Cbt engineer (para /cbt diver qualified), and para qualified medics seem to do particularly well.

That's just the way it is, it's an NCM trade like AESOPs and FEs. Pilots and Navs are officers.

What would or could officers do?  Nothing.  SAR Techs have officers above them to fly planes, do administration, Dentists, Doctors, etc., but not doing the job of SAR Tech.

Officers don't drive tanks or trucks.  Officers don't fire guns (artillery).  Officers don't do SAR Tech stuff.

Gw

Application to MOC 131 SAR Tech is done through the Continuing Occupational Transfer Program(COTP).  The prerequisite is 48 months service in a Regular Force trade and you must hold the minimum rank of Cpl.  If you are a higher rank and are selected for your QL5A, you lose your rank until you complete your first year when you are automatically promoted to MCpl.

The process for application to SAR Tech is:

1.  Submit a memo through your chain of command requesting a transfer to MOC 131 SARTech;
2.  Complete CFAO 11-12 Annex D;
3.  Complete the SAR Tech Pre-Selection Physical Fitness Test which is conducted by the PSP staff at your closest gym.  The test consists of:

DAY 1
i) 2.4km run (10:15 or less);
ii) 31 consecutive push-ups;
iii) 33 consecutive sit-ups;
iv) 8 consecutive chin-ups; and
v) 450m shuttle run.
All of the above must be completed in 16 Min's or less.

DAY 2
i) 675m continuous swim in 20 Min's or less (any stroke).

4.  Upon successful completion of your PT test you are interviewed by your B/WPSO. If are found suitable by CFRGHQ in Ottawa you will be invited to attempt a two-week pre-selection held at CFB Edmonton and Jarvis Lake, Alberta.  You will also be required to pass the CF Aircrew and Dive medicals.

Approx. 24 candidates attend selection and 12 are selected for QL5A training.  Those selected then attend an 11 month course held at CFSSAR in Comox.

Those who pass earn the right to wear the coveted orange beret and live by the SAR motto: "That Others May Live"

Good luck to all those interested.

The 450m Shuttle Run is conducted using 2 sets of Traffic Pylons(or similar markers) placed 50 meters apart.  You have to run 9 times back and forth between the pylons without stopping. 

During the PT test during Selection in Edmonton, you also have to climb two 30 foot ropes after the Shuttle Run.  The PT test in Edmonton(including the rope climb) must be conducted in 17 minutes or less.  Immediately after the test you move to the pool for your 675m swim test.

Hope this helps.

If are found suitable by CFRGHQ in Ottawa you will be invited to attempt a two-week pre-selection held at CFB Edmonton and Jarvis Lake, Alberta

I get the feeling that those two weeks are hell... (i keeping envisioning a hell week or something like that)

Back