• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals announce $1.24B sole-sourced deal to upgrade search and rescue helicopter fleet

Found it: “Zeroth Law,” above all the others – “A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.”

Where are the "new" three coming from? Are they rebuilding the VH-71's?

I didn't think Leonardo was still making new ones.

Where are the "new" three coming from? Are they rebuilding the VH-71's?

I didn't think Leonardo was still making new ones.
The 9 VH-71’s were apparently already transferred to Canada to be cannibalized for parts years ago.

Leonardo is still building them, but mostly in Commercial configurations.
There are some used ones for sale as well 15-25m USD (commercial to Mil birds)

The 9 VH-71’s were apparently already transferred to Canada to be cannibalized for parts years ago.

Leonardo is still building them, but mostly in Commercial configurations.
There are some used ones for sale as well 15-25m USD (commercial to Mil birds)
Yup I knew that in 2011 RCAF bought them. But the last government put out a presser thinking they would rebuild them. The rumour was the Marines said no and the manufacturer told them it was a no go too.

Sorry I had to delete a link.

:) someone caught before I got too much in touble

Last edited:
Yup I knew that in 2011 RCAF bought them. But the last government put out a presser thinking they would rebuild them. The rumour was the Marines said no and the manufacturer told them it was a no go too.

DS Edit
That’s one of those articles that you can’t post here

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn’t be the USMC saying no, as DOD would have stripped out anything concerning prior to transfer. Mostly likely that airframe couldn’t easily be converted.

Oh just saw the author yeah @kev994 is correct he’s a no go here.

It wouldn’t be the USMC saying no, as DOD would have stripped out anything concerning prior to transfer. Mostly likely that airframe couldn’t easily be converted.

Oh just saw the author yeah @kev994 is correct he’s a no go here.
To refresh everyone's memory here is a picture of the Kestrels

Attachments

• VH71 Kestrel.jpg
    VH71 Kestrel.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 24
There’s no ramp on them, apparently that’s the biggest issue for a conversion
No ramp and no side door on the starboard side - looking at some other schematics - the airframe seems to have a lot of different structures from the Merlin type double door & ramp types - its basically a totally different airframe skeleton.

Back