• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saluting the Ensign

Sub_Guy said:
Not a peeve of mine, we should give the bosuns our ceremonial, so we can carry on with our IT work in the shack!   Besides it takes a great deal of effort to climb the fin to hoist an ensign.

This leads to another peeve of mine----IT.  I joined as a sig, amalgamated to comm (no choice there really, unless I wanted to remuster).  Once IT came into the picture, it really didn't interest me as much.  Now alot of that comes from the lack of training.  But still, I prefer sticking to the ceremonial and bridgework, yes, all of the sig stuff.  Rumours have long been floating around about them branching off the trade, but I haven't heard anything on that recently.

"A bunting tosser doesn't toss a bunting anymore"

Way off topic with this one.  But I much prefer working HF, Old School comms, now with HSDC, CHAT, PC to MSAX and everything else we do has erroded our basic communication skills.  Working on the bridge can be enjoying, but I loved working in the shack, perhaps that is why I enjoy the sub world so much the communicator gets placed in a closet for 6 hours, and so far we have no chat or any of that other annoying stuff to deal with.

Working here at the shore station, the HF bay rarely gets used, and even then the ships usually come up on chat informing us that they are going to be calling us on HF.......

The MCDV's aren't as lucky with chat.  We hardly ever have a dedicated lease line allocation.  But then again, we've been fairly lucky on our HF, and you guys hearing us.  Not our preferred choice, but sometimes necessary dependent on where we are.

Getting back to the topic of this thread: what drives me crazy is people who don't hold the salute from the end of the still to the end of the carry-on during colours and/or sunset.  Zoiks!  Or people ashore who don't stop their vehicles and dismount and pay proper respects during these ceremonies.

Back