• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Salisbury soldier makes history

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
An article from the Moncton Times Transcript, pointed out to me by my Dad.

Article Link

Don't tell Lizette LeBlanc she can't do something -- that is, unless you want her to go ahead and do it anyway.

LeBlanc, a Salisbury native, became the first female infantry master corporal in Canadian army history in 2005. And the way she is going, she's on track to become the first female infantry sergeant in Canadian army history -- all because she was told she couldn't do it.

More on link

The article was in the paper on 26 Sept.  Apparently, she was speaking to kids at Sussex Middle School.

Hate to say it, but I am sure that there were already women who where Infantry MCpls, and higher, before 1999 when MCpl LeBlanc originally decided to join the CF.

Hey, I'm just posting the link to the article.  Maybe the paper didn't do their homework?  Beats me.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I wonder who is or was keeping statistics.

If you want some, here they are (Although I am sure there are a great number of gaps in the information):

From CBC:

1885: Women serve as nurses for the first time in Canadian military history.

1914-1918: During the First World War, for the first time, women are included in military capacities other than nursing.

1974: Maj. Wendy Clay, a doctor, qualifies for her pilot's wings six years before the pilot classification is opened to all women.

1978: Cpl. Gail Toupin becomes the first female member of the SkyHawks, the Army's skydiving demonstration team.

1981: 2nd Lieut. Inge Plug becomes the first female helicopter pilot.

1981: Lieut. Karen McCrimmon becomes the Canadian Forces' first female air navigator.

1988: Col. Sheila A. Hellstrom is the first female graduate of National Defence College. She becomes the first Regular Force woman to be promoted to the rank of brigadier-general.

First female gunners in the Regular Force graduate from qualification 3 training.

1989 Pte. Heather R. Erxleben becomes Canada's first female Regular Force infantry soldier.

Maj. Dee Brasseur became the first woman fighter pilot of a CF-18 Hornet.

1991: HMCS Nipigon becomes the first Canadian mixed-gender warship to participate in exercises with NATO's Standing Naval Forces Atlantic.

Lieut. Anne Reiffenstein (nee Proctor), Lieut. Holly Brown and Capt. Linda Shrum graduate from artillery training as the first female officers in the combat arms.

1992: Cpl. Marlene Shillingford becomes the first woman selected to join the Snowbirds team. The Snowbirds are the Air Force's aerobatic demonstration flying team.

1993: Lieut. (N) Leanne Crowe is the first woman to qualify as a clearance diving officer and is subsequently the first woman to become Officer Commanding of the Experimental Diving Unit.

1994: Maj.-Gen. Wendy Clay becomes the first woman promoted to that rank.

1995: Chief Warrant Officer Linda Smith is the first woman to be named Wing Chief Warrant Officer in the Canadian Forces at 17 Wing Winnipeg.

Chief Petty Officer, 2nd Class Holly Kisbee becomes the first woman Combat Chief of a major warship.

Maj. Micky Colton becomes the first female pilot to complete 10,000 flying hours in a Hercules aircraft.

Lieut. Ruth-Ann Shamuhn of 5 Combat Engineer Regiment becomes the first female combat diver.

2001: Capt. Maryse Carmichael is the first female Snowbird pilot.

2002: Chief Warrant Officer Camille Tkacz is the first woman appointed to a Command Chief position as assistant deputy minister (Human Resources - Military) Chief Warrant Officer.

2003: Maj. Anne Reiffenstein is the first female to command a combat arms sub-unit.

Lt.-Cmdr. Marta Mulkins is the first woman to serve as a captain of a Canadian warship.

Maj. Jennie Carignan of 5 Combat Engineer Regiment (5 CER) becomes the first female Deputy Commanding Officer of a combat arms unit.

Leading Seaman Hayley John and Leading Seaman Marketa Semik are the first female clearance divers.

Master Seaman Colleen Beattie is the first woman qualified as a submariner, followed shortly by Master Seaman Carey Ann Stewart.

The first and only all female CF team to complete the Nijmegan March in Holland carrying the same weight as male teams. They are: team leader Lieut. Debbie Scott, second-in-command Capt. Lucie Mauger, Lieut. Jody Weathered, Cpl. Elizabeth Mutch, Warrant Officer Nathalie Mercer, Warrant Officer Jackie Revell, Master Corporal Denise Robert, Cpl. Melissa Cedilot, Cpl. Danette Frasz, Lt.-Col. Teresa McNutt, Lieut. Donna Rogers and Cpl. Anne MacDonald.

2004: Chief Petty Officer, 1st Class Jan Davis is appointed Coxswain of HMCS Regina and is the first woman Coxswain of a major warship.

2006: Capt. Nichola Goddard is Canada's first female soldier killed in active combat. She was near the front lines serving as a forward artillery observer during a battle with Taliban forces. She was killed when a rocket-propelled grenade struck her light-armoured vehicle.

She could still be the first RegF MCpl, though.  Can anyone help with some verification?  Anyone?  Bueller?

When I was in BN (with her) there was another female that was a jack.  That one was direct entry though. (not saying it matters).  She will be on her Sgt's crse shortly (week or so) and I am 90% certain that she would rather not have the attention.  (not directed to anyone here)

I just thought it was an interesting article.  Mods, feel free to delete.

Pretty sure there was one in 1 RCR before her.... I will verify with her the date of her promotion.

BulletMagnet said:
Pretty sure there was one in 1 RCR before her.... I will verify with her the date of her promotion.

I heard rumours, prior to 2005, that an female member of the PPCLI, 031, was already a Sgt or WO and posted to NDHQ.   How valid those rumours were are questionable, but if they are true, they would definitely predate 2005 claims.

IIRC Jane Thelwell was the first female Combat Diver. More than a couple years prior to '95.

Who cares? Are you not  all integrated now?  How long we going to make the distinction between men and women? I work with women COs every day some good some horrible just like the men. Time to get over it,you are all equal members of the CF.

I am one to agree a person can do what ever it is they set their mind to, as long as you want it you can definitly achieve it.
I respect her, not because she is a woman who has achieved this. But because she decided to try when told she could not. Never gave up and kept on her goals, and still continues to push forward. When many people just give up or don't try.

There were several women in the Saber Squadrons in the Strathconas in the early 90's when I was there...Three of them as I remember and all of them gunners.

Here's another blogspot bit on Lisette Leblanc

http://salisburynb.blogspot.com/2006/03/lizette-leblanc.html

Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Lizette LeBlanc

Lizette LeBlanc ~ From Here to Afghanistan

by Margaret (Maggie)Harriman

Lizette LeBlanc is the first Regular Force, Non-Reserve, female in Canada to ever become a Master Corporal in our Canadian Armed Forces.

Lizette is from Salisury, New Brunswick, and those of you who were a part of the Salisbury Air Cadet Squadron from 1992 until six year ago would remember her as Lisette Lewis. Until she joined the military in 2000, she had always gone by her step-father’s name, (Dexter) Lewis. When she enlisted, she found out it had never been officially changed from LeBlanc.

Lizette LeBlanc became passionate about the military when she checked out Air Cadets out one night with a friend. She was eleven.
“My joining Cadets was actually a fluke,” she said in a recent interview. “One of my friends, Peter McGill, couldn’t hang out with me one night because he was busy; he had to go to Cadets. He said, “Come and see.” I did, and that was it! I thought it was awesome. I loved it. But they wouldn’t let me officially join until I was twelve.”

Lizette attended school in Salisbury for a brief time, but because her first language was French, she found it to be too much English for her at that time, and she attended French schools in Moncton, graduating from Mattieu Martin with honours in her final semester.
Lizette never had a question about what she wanted to do – have a career in the Canadian Armed Forces – but it was a year after graduation before she joined up. During that year, 1999, she became part of the Canada Games in Corner Brook, Newfoundland.
“It was fantastic; one of the most amazing things ever.”
Prior to the Canada Games, Lisette had successfully participated in air rifle competitions for Cadets International, and while she did not represent the Cadets at the Canada Games, it was during her time with Cadets, while competing nationally in a biathlon (skiing and shooting), that a scout for the Canada Games saw her.
“So I was one of the lucky few who got asked to come and try out, and I ended up making the cut”, she said. “I had a really excellent time. My shooting was bang on. (She grinned.) I did better shooting standing up, even though in Cadets I always did my shooting laying down. The coaches couldn’t understand it, because it’s so much easier to shoot lying down.”

Lizette, now going on her sixth year in the Canadian Armed Forces, has just signed up for another 14 years. (She can retire at 39.) She is stationed in Shilo, Manitoba, and is with Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry – Bravo Company. When asked why she chose infantry, she replied, “Because they told me there weren’t very many females in it, and females couldn’t do it. I am so driven, I wanted to know why. ‘Why are you telling me that? Why are you telling me this is a man’s job? Why? I want to know.’ And here I am today a Master Corporal. It’s obviously not just a man’s job anymore,” she said with a broad grin.
But the army was right when they told her there not many females in infantry; just how few astonished Lisette.
“The female ratio is ridiculous! she said. There are 3 females (two more joined recently) in my battalion and 300 guys; all the other females there are either cooks or clerks.”

Since joining the military, Lisette has trained in BC, Alberta (Wainwright), Quebec (St. Jacques), California (Mojave Desert where temperatures are 37 – 40 degrees C during the day, and infantry must each carry 80 lbs of weaponry and supplies), Bosnia, and Croatia. On January 25, 2006, Lisette was among the troops that left for Afghanistan.
“When you’re in places like Bosnia and Croatia, you’re in the middle of everything, including the poverty. That stint (Bosnia) was not mission-specific; it was peace-keeping, so we rebuilt houses, gave out food and clothes. It was not out of the ordinary to see a one-room house, 8’ X 8’, that had 3 kids, 2 cats, 2 dogs, and no food, no bathroom. In the winter their bathroom is in the house. They pick a corner of the house and that’s their washroom area. And then they scoop it and shovel it outside.”
“But you’re not in that situation every day. You move around. You look for people who need help; you visit coffee shops, taking various routes, and you’re trained to notice things. Most people were very kind. They understood why we were there. We actually had a family make us a meal; a lot of ladies would make us tea or coffee. Children just loved us because they picked our pockets for candy all the time. For the most part, teenagers and young people – they’re all like us.”
“The most difficult situation in Bosnia was the language barrier. Even though we take language classes, we can only learn so much so fast, so in foreign countries the language barrier is the greatest problem, especially when you don’t have an interpreter with you. Simple words, like hollering ‘Don’t move!’ to someone who is standing in a mine field. They don’t understand you, and they think you’re being hostile, and the interpreter is taking too long to come to you to explain things to them.”

Lizette must now try to communicate in Pashtu, a language used by the majority of Afghanis. At our interview in late December, she spoke of her feelings about going to Afghanistan in light of things that are happening there today.
“I’m nervous. I think it’s just fear of the unknown. I’ve got the normal, natural fear, like everyone else, but as far as trusting my skills – absolutely. I’m not scared in that aspect at all. It’s my job. I have excellent training, and this is what I’ve trained for.”

That training, and Lizette’s outstanding ability, resulted in her promotion to Master Corporal last December. Getting there wasn’t easy.
She was required to learn how to teach classes, properly give drill, study military law and ethics, teach people how to deal with different authorities, and how to charge someone and know what offences and rulings to use. There were 6 manuals in all, 5 of which were infantry-specific. Lizette chose to study most of them twice: once in French, so she could understand them well, and then in English, so she would know how to relay what she learned. Apart from this, her training for Master Corporal, included going out into the field for 2 months. Once there, scenarios were put into place to duplicate enemy combat situations. Lizette remembers it well.
“All of a sudden you hear, ‘Here’s the enemy attacking your position. You’re in charge.’ You have to set up your defenses, among many other things. You drive yourself for days; you have less food and much less sleep. But it’s good. You do all the things you can do, so you can gain faith in your own ability to lead others.”

Will the guys resent her promotion? Not according to Lizette.
“You know what? I just got promoted before I went on leave, so I don’t know. Actually, the guys I work with are pretty good. They’re more like brothers than anything else, and they’re very good like that. They know that, being a woman, you have to work a little bit harder to compare with the guys. They see that, and they understand it.”

While our Canadian Military gives equal pay for equal rank, money for the operation of our Canadian Forces at home is slow coming, and replacing obsolete basics sometimes takes years.
“I got in five years ago,” Lisette recalled, “and on the day I joined, I was told that new rucksacks (knapsacks) were coming. I’ve got the same rucksack as when I joined. But,” she added, “there’s definitely more money when you’re going on a mission, in order for you to do the job properly …..money for more bullets, more training, for more of everything, including new backpacks. It’s like: ‘This is your project, or your mission. You have six months to train. Here’s your allotment.’”

When asked what she did for entertainment overseas, Lizette answered,” Read a book. Write letters. Play pool. Work out in the gym. Your off-time is generally spent on the base, which is surrounded with security, but there are occasions when you may go out for a stint of time. We have American TV programs, and we can get Alberta and Manitoba radio stations.”

Lizette has no immediate plans to remuster into a different division, but she knows that 20 years in infantry would take its toll.
“I love what I’m doing now; it’s great! But I can’t see myself doing all 20 years in infantry. It’s hard on your body. Traffic Tech and Photo Tech both appeal to me, but I’m going to have to get my head into it before I decide.”

What does she miss about home? “Scenery! I live in Manitoba, and it’s flat. Shilo is about 2 hours from Winnipeg, and there’s no scenery but fields…wheat fields, corn fields…fields. I miss the mountains and clean rivers and the ocean. Oh, how I miss the ocean; the taste of the salt, the sound of the ocean.” Most of all, she misses family.
“I love family to death. Family is so fantastic, and that’s what makes home, home. This will always be home.”

When I asked Lisette if there was anything particular that she wanted to make sure was in this article, she said, “If people are thinking about joining, I want to tell them to join for the right reasons. Don’t join because you hear the money’s good, or you get to travel a lot. Join because it’s what you want to do, because that’s the only way you’re going to make it, only when you’re truly passionate about it, seeing it as something you can do and enjoy. There are a lot of people that come in, but they only make it through the 3-year contract.”

Lizette LeBlanc has a deep and sincere love for her career as a soldier. When one talks with Lizette about her military life, her enthusiasm is wrapped around every word she speaks. It’s an enthusiasm that leaves you with a feeling of renewed pride in our Canadian Armed Forces, and in Canada.

(Master Corporal Lizette LeBlanc is the daughter of Angie LeBlanc-Lewis, and the granddaughter of Claudette and Bob Lewis, Monteagle.)

Note: Since I interviewed Lizette in December, she has gone to Afghanistan. At present, Lizette is the only female Canadian Infantry officer there. She was recently the topic of news from Afghanistan on both Global TV Network and CTV.

Margaret (Maggie)Harriman is a teacher, tutor, and free-lance writer. She lives in Salisbury West, NB, and may be contacted by e-mail at maggiebim@yahoo.com or through this blog.

Speaking of firsts ... anyone know what Sandra Perron is up to these days (1st female Infantry officer) ... haven't seen her since an interview I did with her in Petawawa ... or heard of her in years. Is she still in?

Damn ... she's even got her own youtube video !!  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k-L4neQjqo

Edited to add:

Holy crap ... there's one of my Cpls in the pic with her in their hockey uniforms at 03:34 (Damn and again at 4:53). Mary Anne M. - also a former member of the PPCLI, now a Suppie. Friggin' small world.

Mary Anne works for you?  It is a small marble.
Her brother  put that you tube vid together.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Mary Anne works for you?  It is a small marble.
Her brother  put that you tube vid together.

She does ... word up though - she needs new chaps. I'm on her!!  ;D

Back