• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailor Derek de Jong and Other Ship Misconducts?

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Sailor Derek de Jong charged with desertion was harassed, wife claims

CBC News

The wife of a Royal Canadian Navy officer accused of leaving his post during a military operation is speaking out ahead of his court martial, and says her husband left his ship because of an intolerable atmosphere of harassment on board.

The usual reminders .....
-- Under  Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms, "any person charged with an offence has the right .... to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal."
-- This case may attract attention from the media and public, which can lead to them showing up here looking for quotes etc. Be very careful of what you post - even though this isn't an official military site, people pay different attention to what those who self-identify as military have to say. 

Milnet.ca Staff

One incident involved a drunk female officer who allegedly urinated on the floor of de Jong's cabin.

Maria de Jong said her husband became the butt of jokes after that incident. One superior officer, according to de Jong, told him, "Some men have to pay for that kind of service.
"

Talk about spending money on wasteful things  >:D

One incident involved a drunk female officer who allegedly urinated on the floor of de Jong's cabin.

This raises some VERY interesting questions (most of which aren't for public consumption).

Hmmm. >:D

I don't know why, but it drives me crazy that newspapers are incapable of getting the navy ranks correct.  CBC and other nationals I can see, but always irks me when the Chronicle Herald puts LtCdr, Lt or some other made up shorthand.

Curious to see how this comes out in court.  Have read a number of the court martial findings over the last few years and the findings themselves seem pretty fair and reasonable

As an aside, for those unfamiliar with the Navy, he would have been the A/HOD (assistant Head of Department) doing his year long OJT on the ship to become qualified to be the HOD (a LCdr position on the PTR class).  They do all their basic logistic officer training (in Borden or Trenton?) prior to showing up to the ship as a Lt(N) so they are trade qualified, just not qualified to be the supply officer (SYO) on a ship.  They are a bit of an oddball, as all the other naval officer trades spend time on ships as SLts first.

No comment on the various harassment allegations, but I'm sure this will start the whole 'dry' vs 'wet' navy.  Pretty simplistic argument, but history has shown repeatedly that prohibition doesn't work.  Any time I've been on joint exercises with other navies, the USN sailors are usually the ones found passed out all over the place in foreign ports.  Some of the RN guys are right b&stards, but they aren't much better sober either.. :whistle:

On the plus side, the german JSS design comes with beer taps as fitted equipment! :cheers: Go away good idea fairies and your silly changes!

Navy_Pete said:
I don't know why, but it drives me crazy that newspapers are incapable of getting the navy ranks correct.  CBC and other nationals I can see, but always irks me when the Chronicle Herald puts LtCdr, Lt or some other made up shorthand.

I asked a couple of PAffO about that once and was informed most media outlets use a standard writing guide for such things and since its US centric we often get saddled with LtCols, 2nd Lts, Cptns and the odd (no pun intended) Pvt.

Thanks, that's an interesting tidbit.  I find it especially frustrating when the correct rank is provided in a media release which they quote, then later on they use the American version anyway (or something else they've just made up altogether).  To me, points to poor proof reading and lack of fact checking, which generally gets me shot whenever I submit any kind of paperwork/emails etc.

Schindler's Lift said:
I asked a couple of PAffO about that once and was informed most media outlets use a standard writing guide for such things and since its US centric we often get saddled with LtCols, 2nd Lts, Cptns and the odd (no pun intended) Pvt.
Not so on the bit in orange (unless they're using a different guide) - here's the Canadian Press Style Guide's guide to military rank (highlights mine):
....Note: For clarity for a non-military audience, The Canadian Press does not use abbreviations used by the Forces.

Use these titles for army and air force personnel:

Rank Before a name
general Gen.

lieutenant-general Lt.-Gen.

major-general Maj.-Gen.

brigadier-general Brig.-Gen.

colonel Col.

lieutenant-colonel Lt.-Col.

major Maj.

captain Capt.

lieutenant Lt.

second lieutenant 2nd Lt.

officer cadet Officer Cadet

chief warrant officer Chief Warrant Officer

master warrant officer Master Warrant Officer

warrant officer Warrant Officer

sergeant Sgt.

master corporal Master Cpl.

corporal Cpl.

bombardier Bombardier

private Pte.

guardsman Guardsman

gunner Gunner

rifleman Rifleman

sapper Sapper

signalman Signalman

trooper Trooper

Use these titles for navy personnel:

Rank Before a name
admiral Admiral
vice-admiral Vice-Admiral
rear admiral Rear Admiral
commodore Commodore
captain navy Capt.*
commander Cmdr.
lieutenant-commander Lt.-Cmdr.
lieutenant navy Lt.*
sub-lieutenant Sub-Lt.
acting sub-lieutenant  Acting Sub-Lt.
chief petty officer Chief Petty Officer
first class, second class 1st Class, 2nd Class
master seaman Master Seaman
leading seaman Leading Seaman
able seaman Able Seaman
ordinary seaman Ordinary Seaman

* The word navy, lowercase, should be used before these titles to differentiate them from the army and air force titles of captain and lieutenant, which are ranked lower ....

No word on sentence yet ....
A Royal Canadian Navy officer accused of leaving his post during a military operation pleaded guilty today to desertion when he appeared at his court martial in Halifax.

Lt. Derek de Jong's sentencing is scheduled for 1 p.m. AT Monday.

He had left HMCS Preserver in September 2012 while it was docked in Key West, Fla., and was subsequently charged with being absent without leave. On that same trip, there was an investigation into widespread drunkenness.

A military prosecutor handling the case bumped the charge to desertion — one of the most serious charges in the military. A conviction carries the possibility of imprisonment, demotion, a $10,000 fine or dismissal from the military. The maximum sentence is life in prison.

Capt. Angus Topshee, base commander for CFB Halifax, was at the court martial Monday morning.

“It’s an unusual case. People know that he left the ship and the allegation is desertion so there’s some curiosity to see the exact circumstances in the case.” he said.

“The allegations that have been in the media are harassment — that concerns us greatly.” ....

More here:
An officer in the Royal Canadian Navy who pleaded guilty to desertion testified Monday that he left his post on a ship after he was subjected to deplorable behaviour that included a colleague urinating on his cabin floor.

Lt. Derek De Jong, 43, told a court martial that while he was wrong to leave his post aboard HMCS Preserver, he was harassed and his commanding officer failed to properly investigate his concerns.

De Jong left the supply vessel on Sept. 17, 2012, while it was docked in Key West, Fla., and he returned to Halifax, where he turned himself in to military police.

He said there were a series of incidents leading up to his desertion that began in late August that year.

On Aug. 20, De Jong had a conflict with another crew member over the handling of alleged misbehaviour by a female subordinate, he told his sentencing hearing.

The next day, a female officer came into his cabin while he was still asleep, pulled down her pants, squatted and urinated on the floor, he said.

De Jong said he reported the incident to the supply officer and the ship's commanding officer but no formal inquiry resulted.

He said a senior officer later joked, "Some men have to pay for a service like that," and a sign was briefly attached to his cabin door that said, "Women's head," a reference to a nautical term for a woman's bathroom.

"I don't think people should have to tolerate this kind of behaviour," De Jong said Monday.

(....)

Capt. Angus Topshee, the commander of Canadian Forces Base Halifax, testified earlier in the day that many officers face difficult work environments but don't desert their posts.

Topshee said he had approved a promotion for De Jong, but had some misgivings.

"I was concerned he takes some things very seriously, perhaps more seriously than he needs to take them," he said.

The court martial also heard testimony from Cmdr. Edward Forward, a senior logistics officer in Halifax, who said that since being reassigned to a land-based training role De Jong has excelled in his work.

Forward said De Jong should remain in the military.

"He is outstanding," he said, referring to De Jong's work training hundreds of people in inventory management software.

The prosecution is scheduled to cross-examine De Jong on Tuesday ....

I find it funny how he waits for his trial to bring these allegations forward.  To his credit though he does admit his actions were wrong...although he initially plead not guilty.

Side note, what the hell is it with folks pissing on the floor?

I've woken up to/walked in on roommates, as well as folks who don't live on the damned room and will never return to clean it up, pissing on the floor, and/or in the closet.... A good friend of mine woke up one evening to someone he'd never seen before pissing in his closet, when he shouted at them the reply was "sorry I thought this was my room"

Despite having consumed excessive amounts of alcohol many many times I've never confused the floor or a closet for a toilet... I don't get why the hell it's such a common thing....

Good point.  Even my 3 year old knows the difference.

a Sig Op said:

I've woken up to/walked in on roommates, as well as folks who don't live on the damned room and will never return to clean it up, pissing on the floor, and/or in the closet.... A good friend of mine woke up one evening to someone he'd never seen before pissing in his closet, when he shouted at them the reply was "sorry I thought this was my room"

Sorry, had a little chuckle over that one.

Wait, did it say he was recommended for promotion? ???  Do you suppose they just meant his PER was a ready?

No comment on the case itself one way or another, but I would have thought a charge like that might decrease your chance of getting recommended for promotion.  Is it because he hasn't been convicted of anything during the reporting period that it doesn't count against him on his PER?

Should I try taking a swing at someone tomorrow and see if I get promoted out of the deal? Wow.  And we were joking today about various COs '"reassigned" from their commands that got promoted anyway. :facepalm:

Navy_Pete said:
Should I try taking a swing at someone tomorrow and see if I get promoted out of the deal? Wow.  And we were joking today about various COs '"reassigned" from their commands that got promoted anyway. :facepalm:

Buddy of mine wrote of 3 5/4 ton ambulances and was charged with drinking prior to duty earlier that same year...and promptly got advanced promoted to Cpl not long after.  I'd say you've got some odds in your favour, if you're a Vegas kinda guy  >:D.

MM

a Sig Op said:

Despite having consumed excessive amounts of alcohol many many times I've never confused the floor or a closet for a toilet... I don't get why the hell it's such a common thing....

In my day this was why all the shacks had windows with ledges outside just wide enough to stand on.

;D

Schindler's Lift said:
I find it funny how he waits for his trial to bring these allegations forward
I don't know what was said in the proceedings, but this is from this story posted above .....
.... De Jong said he reported the incident to the supply officer and the ship's commanding officer but no formal inquiry resulted ....
Don't know if the underlined means what happened didn't satisfy the defendant, or that nothing at all happened, but it sounds like he did tell SOMEONE in authority "hey, this isn't on".

milnews.ca said:
I don't know what was said in the proceedings, but this is from this story posted above .....Don't know if the underlined means what happened didn't satisfy the defendant, or that nothing at all happened, but it sounds like he did tell SOMEONE in authority "hey, this isn't on".

Exactly but he also said he travelled back to Canada in order to report it to the MPs however he admitted he never did report it.  Since he reported it to his Capt who reportedly (by him)  did nothing then he had grounds in his mind to report neglegent performance of a military duty in regards to the ship's Capt.  He didnt but now brings it up at trial.

Back