• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacrifice Medal Mega Thread

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
3rd Horseman said:
The big issue that has not been discussed yet on new medals is the Prisoner of War medal. Maybe the media should go off on that and leave the Wound Stripe alone.

I don't think this is high on the list at the moment. Very simply, if you become a POW in this war, you're likely not going to be around to get presented your medal.

3rd Horseman said:
The big issue that has not been discussed yet on new medals is the Prisoner of War medal. Maybe the media should go off on that and leave the Wound Stripe alone.

If someone is going to gripe about a medal for those of us who 'forgot to duck' then what will come of a medal for those who 'got caught'?  ::)

Servicepub said:
Ironic that a Canadian soldier should get to wear a medal because the enemy managed to inflict a wound - perhaps we can reciprocate and send the enemy soldier a medal too. Maybe we can become like the US and establish a Purple Heart Association were membership is decided by your misfortune in not ducking in time.

Some how, I find this insulting.

But hey, since thats the way people feel, why not give the enemy medals for capturing our guys too.

Maybe wound stripes just show the 'dummys' who didn't duck (I won't go into how this is wrong), and maybe wound medals are 'too American'...  So I suppose a POW medal would be just as bad.  Why call attention to any kind of sacrifice unless it ends up in a act of valour, right?  ::)

Well... whatever...  I'm proud of what I've done, even if I was too dumb to duck an attack by friendly forces on our safe position right after we woke up in the morning.  Maybe the A-10 pilot should get a 'Crimson Maple leaf' or a 'good shot, wrong target' medal.

Obviously an issue that is getting emotional but please lets keep it clean.....

Piper,
I understand ya & pert much see where you are coming from.

For me, I would think that a device on the campaign/service medal the individual receives would be something appropriate.

BTW, how is the wound healing? Physio started yet?

Keep the faith

CHIMO!

IMHO- anyone who serves in any operation should be entitled to a medal.

If you are inside or outside the wire, you get the same medal.

If you are wounded or not wounded, you get the same medal.

Is the soldier who spends his/her complete tour in the field less of a soldier than someone who was wounded half way through his/her tour.

The satisfaction of doing the right thing for a country in need should be enough.

Medals are awarded for doing an outstanding job in less than ideal conditions and should not be used as bragging rights.

I for one would not want anything that would tell others that I was wounded. If you wish not to be reminded about your injury on a daily bases, why advertise.

Guns,
Everyone who goes to Afghanistan as part of the mission is entitled to his Gong - a campaign medal of sorts, regardless of IN or OUT of the wire.  Those who are wounded while in theatre are entitled to their Gong - regardless of how many days/weeks/month in theatre.  These are not medals for valour, courage, determination, etc - campaign medals are "been there, done that" Gongs.

There are "combat infantryman" type badges coming down the pipe for different levels of involvment in the country`s mission of dealing with the badguys.  Here there will be 3 classes - some agree - others don`t.

WRT bound stripes or medals..... that`s what this thread is all about.  Some agree with ya, some don`t.

geo said:
There are "combat infantryman" type badges coming down the pipe for different levels of involvment in the country`s mission of dealing with the badguys.  Here there will be 3 classes - some agree - others don`t.

Which of course begs the question "What is combat in asymmetric warfare?"  Do we define it as a "conventional" engagement such as direct contact? If you're a supporter and your convoy gets bombed, does that count as combat? If, as in my case, some clown blows himself up on the hood of your LUVW, is that combat? I personally hold the opinion that all three of these are examples of combat, and no one more or less deserving than the other. If we are going to award combat badges, it will be interesting to see where the definition settles out, but I'm veering off topic. For the record, I agree that we should stay with the wound stripe vice moving to a Canadian purple heart type medal.

ModlrMike said:
Which of course begs the question "What is combat in asymmetric warfare?"  Do we define it as a "conventional" engagement such as direct contact? If you're a supporter and your convoy gets bombed, does that count as combat? If, as in my case, some clown blows himself up on the hood of your LUVW, is that combat? I personally hold the opinion that all three of these are examples of combat, and no one more or less deserving than the other. If we are going to award combat badges, it will be interesting to see where the definition settles out, but I'm veering off topic. For the record, I agree that we should stay with the wound stripe vice moving to a Canadian purple heart type medal.

The three levels of the Combat badge will cover the particular level of involvment
- them shooting at you & your shooting back
- them shooting / bombing at you
- them throwing missiles in your direction

There is another thread on this subject - please do a search and do your homework as this has already been discussed....

WRT the Stripe VS a gong, the point is that, once out of the service, no one will wear the stripe - though they are entitled to.  Creating a medal that would ride next to your campaign star / medal or possibly a clasp to go onto the medal's ribbon could be ways for our serving and former members to show their blighty - should they care to show it.

geo said:
WRT the Stripe VS a gong, the point is that, once out of the service, no one will wear the stripe - though they are entitled to.  Creating a medal that would ride next to your campaign star / medal or possibly a clasp to go onto the medal's ribbon could be ways for our serving and former members to show their blighty - should they care to show it.

Very Good point.

I myself am proud my service, and I would be proud to wear the medal with my others.  To me it reminds me of the ultimate sacrifice I came close to giving to my country.  It would also serve as a reminder to others, when they ask me what the medal was for, that there are many who have shed their blood  for our country. 

There is no slight, whatsoever on those that were there and made it unscathed.  We remember the fallen, and those have served, why is it we are so ashamed or shy to honour those that did not have to give up their lives, yet left something physically, if not mentally, behind?

The wounds stripe, once out, really would not get worn, I don't wear mine, as it is unpractical.  A medal I would be able to pin on my chest.

dileas

tess

Interesting Threat....I remember seeing some guys in the RCR get presented their wound strip as a award of honour and a plaque I received mine VIA a military message stating get your ass to the clothing stores and get the Tailor to attach one on your uniform. At the time I didn't know what the wound strip was. As I later found out I wasn't the only one.
One parade I was on with 1 RCR the reviewing office didn't know what it was either and asked was I in the band. The CSM gave the officer a nice little push and told him to keep walking LOL I guess you had to be there. Its nice to see our soldiers are getting more respect these days from our fellow countrymen and women even from our own Government.

Medals are not my issue. If you deserve one, you get one.

I have a problem with having a soldiers wear anything that would indicate that he/she was wounded.

Maybe a certain soldier is having emotional issues about being wounded and serving in a combat.

Wearing a wound strip or whatever, is not the way to help lessen the soldiers emotional problems.

If a wound strip or medal is issues it should be a optional dress requirement.

Maybe a certain soldier is having emotional issues about being wounded and serving in a combat.

Wearing a wound strip or whatever, is not the way to help lessen the soldiers emotional problems.

Then get them the treatment they need, right away, so that he may be able to cope with those issues.  A medal, certainly will not exacerbate the mental anguish, if anything it reminds them how alive they really are.

There are alot of other factors that will make things worse, and that is the lack of acknowledgement and treatment.

dileas

tess

I have to admit... tess' posts are making me think a bit.

Not everyone wants to wear a medal for being injured, especially
if they simply forgot to duck as one member has said to me.

So, similar to other members talking about not wearing their Jubilee, make
this medal optional to wear (reference from different thread)  That way those who want
to wear it can, those who feel its weak won't, those who don't want to disclose
their wounds or psychological injury can keep it to themselves.

+1 to tess on wearing the wound stripe after one retires.  More difficult
especially if you change jackets  ;)  than a mounted medal

Careful were you going with that... Tess making people think LOL Just kidding Bro

My point is that one should feel pride in everything that we do, as long as you were doing your job.

Stating that one feels hurt, embarrassed by receiving a medal for being wounded is horse puckey.

I was proud of my stripe, and would be proud to wear a medal, again it reminds me I was doing my job, was willing to risk my neck, and made it out alive.

It shows my training worked, and the training of those who were around me worked, right on up to the medical staff. 

Mental anguish is a cause, but as I have ranted before, get us the help we need, not assume what will hurt us.

dileas

tess

GUNS said:
Medals are not my issue. If you deserve one, you get one.

I have a problem with having a soldiers wear anything that would indicate that he/she was wounded.

It is.
Members are given a supply of them.
They are not forced to have them put on

geo said:
It is.
Members are given a supply of them.
They are not forced to have them put on

So let me get this straight.  The wearing of issued items such as medals, decorations, or items of recognition are now optional?

Can anyone give me an official link on this policy?

dileas

tess

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/0303_admhrmil_e.asp

ADM (HR-MIL) INSTRUCTION 03/03
AWARDING AND RECORDING OF WOUND STRIPES

INTRODUCTION

1. Following the precedent set in the First and Second World Wars, the Canadian Forces (CF) award 'wound stripes' to battlefield casualties, a dress distinction that recognizes a physical or mental injury received as a result of armed conflict. One narrow gold braid stripe will be worn in respect of each occasion an individual is wounded - but NOT for each separate injury.

2. This distinction is not to be regarded in the nature of a reward.

POLICY AND PROCEDURES

3. Eligibility: All ranks of the CF, along with members of foreign military forces on exchange duties with the CF, as well as Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency and contract employees, will be eligible for this distinction.

4. A wound stripe recognizes injury directly attributable to hostile action received in honourable circumstances in an operational area, and requiring medical treatment beyond local first aid. Individuals who are injured in accidents in a special duty area or while employed on domestic provision of service operations or training exercises do not qualify for a wound stripe. Wound stripes are not issued posthumously.

5. Awarding Authority: The authority to wear a wound stripe is granted by the casualty's unit Commanding Officer (CO). The CO shall verify eligibility, referring doubtful cases directly, by message, to National Defence Headquarters, attention: Director Casualty Support and Administration (NDHQ/DCSA).

6. Claims and Entitlements:  All CF members who consider that they are entitled to a wound stripe may initiate a claim to their CO. Paragraph 10 of this instruction outlines a list of wounds or injuries that would qualify personnel for an entitlement to a wound stripe.

7. Promulgation and Recording: The award of a wound stripe will be published in unit routine orders. The CO will ensure that the circumstances of the award are recorded on the individual's personal file and personal record resume. The CO will also notify the individual's career manager of the award, by message. Instructions on how this procedure is to be conducted are contained in A-PM-245-001/FP-001 'Military Human Resources Records Procedures', Chapter 10 (Unit Personnel Records).

8. Presentation: On verification of eligibility, and as soon as practicable after the injury has been incurred, the casualty's CO, or representative, will formally present the wound stripe to the member. Based on the discretion of the member, the presentation may be done in public or in private. A DND 5266 (01-03) 'Certificate of the Award of Wound Stripe' will also be awarded and given to the individual. The NATO Stock Number (NSN) for the Wound Stripe Certificate is 7530-20-000-6922. Visit http://diso-s041.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/DFC2/ to download the certificate.

9. Display: Wound stripes will be worn on CF uniforms in accordance with A-AD-265-000/AG-001 'Canadian Forces Dress Instructions'. Personnel, who by reason of their service have become entitled to wear a wound stripe, may, at their own option, continue to wear them on civilian clothes after cessation of military service.

10. Qualification for Wound Stripes: Wounds or injuries requiring medical treatment beyond local first aid (i.e., treatment at a medical facility of more than 5 days duration, not necessarily consecutive) that are due to hostile actions and would be a qualification for a wound stripe include, but are not limited to:

a. Injuries due to blast;

b. Injuries due to rescue work in bombed buildings or defences;

c. Injuries due to collision of a vessel or a vehicle with a mine;

d. Injuries sustained by aircrew or passengers as a result of an aircraft crash, or aircraft damage, or fire in an aircraft, provided that these are due to hostile actions or take place during an operational sortie. Injuries sustained by eligible personnel who rescue, or attempt to rescue, aircrew and passengers in such circumstances would qualify for the wound stripe;

e. Injuries due to mine or bomb disposal duties;

f. Injuries due to terrorist attack (attempted assassinations, car bombs, etc) by hostile forces when Canadian military forces are the targets. Incidents such as these do not necessarily need to take place in an operational area;

g. Wounds or injuries inflicted by our own, allied or coalition forces' projectiles (or parts of them) when these have been fired at real or perceived hostile forces;

h. Injuries that require not less than one week's treatment in hospital (or equivalent) as a consequence of:

i. exposure at sea in open boats and life rafts directly due to hostile action;

ii. exposure in the air following attacks on aircraft by hostile forces;

iii. inadequate or harsh treatment by hostile forces as a result of being captured or detained; or

iv. the employment of nuclear, biological or chemical agents by hostile forces.

i. Operational stress injuries may qualify for a wound stripe if treatment of not less than one week in hospital (or equivalent) is the direct result of a traumatic incident caused by hostile forces in a combat zone.

11. Injuries, although not directly due to hostile force actions, if sustained in the combat zone by personnel in direct contact with a hostile force, would also qualify for a wound stripe. For example, injuries sustained as a result of a vehicle accident directly attributable to terrain that needed to be followed due to the tactical situation would qualify for the wound stripe if they required medical treatment beyond local first aid.

12. Injuries due to accidents arising out of employment in an operational area, but not directly due to hostile action, e.g. due to collisions between ships at sea, vehicle accidents, flying accidents, handling of lethal weapons, gun explosions, etc, do not qualify for the wound stripe.

13. Wounds and/or injuries that are self-inflicted do not qualify for the wound stripe.

Back