• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacrifice Medal Mega Thread

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
Babbling Brooks said:
Note item 9: Personnel, who by reason of their service have become entitled to wear a wound stripe, may, at their own option, continue to wear them on civilian clothes after cessation of military service.

Apparently they come in strips of five - enough to keep one for a civilian jacket if the wounded member so wishes.

I only recieved one and a few of the guys wounded with me haven't even recieved theirs yet.  But, with that in mind, does this mean we are entitled to a set of five? or is that just how many come in an order?

Also, with all this 'wound stripe' talk; some of us wounded in Afghanistan are Reservists in silly-hat-and-dress (Highland) regiments, and thusly wear uniforms where the current issue stripe does not.. um.. work well... uh.. fit... It looks silly.  Kind of like having it on Scarlets.  Anyway, the way my regiment wants to deal with it is using the old style gold braid, or Brass bar.  I think it's a little more distinguishing.  I'm thinking this may cause some issues with CF dress regs.

Babbling Brooks said:
Updated: And while this goes back a few months, Michael O'Leary said "Why not a device worn on the medal ribbon of the applicable operation? The old "Mentioned in Despatches" oak leaf emblem was worn in such a manner..."  Just to be clear, the current MID does the same, although if it's awarded for actions not associated with a particular medal or ribbon, it can be worn directly on the tunic: http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/12/mentioning-mentions.html

Does this mean those who were wounded in Afghanistan will be recieving an Oak Leaf (MID) on their GCS?  I've been told (By my home units BOR, as they held paperwork for my medals) that this roto (3-06) will be recieving both the GCS and the SWASM; which medal would the MID be worn on?  Also, are soldiers wounded in Friendly fire eligible for a MID or is it just for soldiers wounded in Combat?

I know thats a whole lot of questions, but it's just something I'd like to know.

Oh yeah, before I forget...  I was told by a very reliable source (who will remain nameless) that the wound medal has been approved.  Has anyone else heard anything 'official' on the matter?

RHFC_piper said:
Oh yeah, before I forget...  I was told by a very reliable source (who will remain nameless) that the wound medal has been approved.  Has anyone else heard anything 'official' on the matter?

Most certainly, if and when this becomes official, as it falls under "Honours & Awards" a CANFORGEN will undoubtedly be released.

RHFC_piper said:

Great!

As Reccesoldier works in that department at DHH, perhaps he will confirm or deny your reliable source's rumour.

Does this mean those who were wounded in Afghanistan will be recieving an Oak Leaf (MID) on their GCS?

Sorry for the confusion - it's an entirely separate issue.  The MID is only worn by those awarded the honour, not by all wounded personnel.

As far as the strip of five is concerned, I learned that from this site: http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=Wound_Stripes.  The writer quotes as follows:

CF DRESS MANUAL A-AD-265-000/AG-001, SECTION 5, PARA 1 AND Fig. 3-5-1.

7. Wound stripes come in strips of 5 and are cut as needed. There are four (4) variations:

1. DEU Dress Navy – gold on black melton.
        2. Air Force – gold on blue/gray melton.
        3. Army – new gold on dark green melton
        4. Garrison Dress, Army – old gold on green (has an embroidered border around each stripe with a half size strip of material between each making it longer.

That might not be up-to-date.

Babbling Brooks said:
Sorry for the confusion - it's an entirely separate issue.  The MID is only worn by those awarded the honour, not by all wounded personnel.

Ah... Seen. Thanks.  Not that I need any more hoobajoobs on my uniform, just thought it'd be.. well.. neat.

Babbling Brooks said:
As far as the strip of five is concerned, I learned that from this site: http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=Wound_Stripes.  The writer quotes as follows:

That might not be up-to-date.

Either way, I'm sure I'll get them as I need them.

George Wallace said:
As Reccesoldier works in that department at DHH, perhaps he will confirm or deny your reliable source's rumour.

Again, not too worried about it, just interested in where this is all going. 

(btw. The reliable source is a relay from the CDS through a fellow wounded soldier.)

I learned a long time ago that nothing is official and is always subject to change and/or cancellation until the "official" announcement is made by the appropriate authority and the detailing message is cut.

Babbling Brooks said:
Not so, Geo: http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/0303_admhrmil_e.asp

Note item 9: Personnel, who by reason of their service have become entitled to wear a wound stripe, may, at their own option, continue to wear them on civilian clothes after cessation of military service.

Yes, I know you can sew a wound stripe on your mufti jacket....
but, to the unknowing public, it means absolutely nothing.  In uniform, surrounded by other serving members, a wound stripe means something.  In civy land, a hash bar on your suit's sleve means absolutely nothing.

People in the US see a purple heart and they know exactly what it means....
not something that means anything up here.... if someone up here is interested in letting members of the public know he got his blighty on a mission, the would stripe doesn't cut it.

The Librarian said:
I learned a long time ago that nothing is official and is always subject to change and/or cancellation until the "official" announcement is made by the appropriate authority and the detailing message is cut.

I agree... Just looking for insight from those who are in the know.  

If that weren't available here, these entire forums would be pointless and would just be another military oriented site with information posted instead of the discussion boards that they are.  90% of these forums are speculation until official releases, thus the discussion, if it weren't so, then this very thread would consist of one post outlining the idea until the official press release.

With that said, thanks for the info... kinda...  and if anyone who is in the know, or has access to the DIN (as I don't at home, and probably wont be back to work until my holes close... in a month or so) hears anything about said medal or otherwise, feel free to let me know via PM.  

I, for one, am for the wound stripe, but if some one is going to give me a medal I'm not going to turn it down.  At least I'll have something else to remember my first and last tour.

No this post would still consist of a poll asking what people's opinions were on this idea, that is the topic after all.  ;)

You're welcome!!  ;D

Piper,
Per discussion papers coming outa the big puzzle palace, there is a desire to have a Cdn equivalent of the Purple Heart.... what it will look like and what kind of time line we're talking about, I haven't got a clue but FWIW, something will be coming down the pipe.....

RHFC_piper said:
I only recieved one and a few of the guys wounded with me haven't even recieved theirs yet.  But, with that in mind, does this mean we are entitled to a set of five? or is that just how many come in an order?

Also, with all this 'wound stripe' talk; some of us wounded in Afghanistan are Reservists in silly-hat-and-dress (Highland) regiments, and thusly wear uniforms where the current issue stripe does not.. um.. work well... uh.. fit... It looks silly.  Kind of like having it on Scarlets.  Anyway, the way my regiment wants to deal with it is using the old style gold braid, or Brass bar.  I think it's a little more distinguishing.  I'm thinking this may cause some issues with CF dress regs.

Set of five, heck I got a stack of them given to me, can for the life of me find where I put 'em.

As for th silly hat thing, it looked actually very good, it was made for it.  Don't bother looking for the brass metal one.

You will be good to go.

dileas

tess

The medal is tied into when you got into theater and when you got of theater. The op switched from Op Archer to Athena, that is out from under "control" of the Americans (OEF) on 1-Aug-06. If you were in theater for a period of 30 days before this switch then you are entitled to the SWASM, if not then no. From 1-Aug-06 on mbrs were entitled to the GCS after having served a period of 30+days in theater. I know a lot of us on later chalks of Roto 1 missed out by a few days for the GCS, not that it really matters, I personally would not want a gimme medal for getting the minimum time in. I know pers that were on 9 month tours (Sigs, etc) that got back in Nov ish got both. Hope this helps.

Uhhh..... PhilB - I think we're talking about wether or not Canada will get it's equivalent to the Purple Heart - not wether or not you qualify for a GCS or SWASM.

Soldiers wounded while in theatre are automatically entitled to their service/campaign gong.

RHFC_piper said:
I've been told (By my home units BOR, as they held paperwork for my medals) that this roto (3-06) will be recieving both the GCS and the SWASM; which medal would the MID be worn on? 

Roger that Geo, I suppose I was slightly off, I was just trying to answer a portion or piper's question. Please carry on, sorry for the intrusion

PhilB,
Was not an intrusion.  All comments are welcome.
Possibly you should have indicated it as being a sidenote - or even a temp topic hijack.
(but, without having reviewed all 9 pages of this thread, am certain that this point was addressed with the Piper)

George Wallace said:
Great!

The only person who can approve a medal's creation is the Queen through the GG and on the advice of the Government and all that nause. 

As much as the CDS wants to get this going HRH hurries for no one. ;D

I would say though if you don't agree with the premise or purpose of this not-as-of-yet approved medal contact your MP.

As I have said earlier on the thread I like the tradition of the wound stripe, the issue of not having recognition once you are out of uniform is an issue for those of us who have been WIA. The solution is a lapel pin or badge like back in the great wars that reads WIA. Would this not keep with our traditions and solve the issue of recognition? IMHO the solution is right under our noses in our past traditions.

The big issue that has not been discussed yet on new medals is the Prisoner of War medal. Maybe the media should go off on that and leave the Wound Stripe alone.

3rd Horseman said:
As I have said earlier on the thread I like the tradition of the wound stripe, the issue of not having recognition once you are out of uniform is an issue for those of us who have been WIA. The solution is a lapel pin or badge like back in the great wars that reads WIA. Would this not keep with our traditions and solve the issue of recognition? IMHO the solution is right under our noses in our past traditions.

The big issue that has not been discussed yet on new medals is the Prisoner of War medal. Maybe the media should go off on that and leave the Wound Stripe alone.

Are you advocating that we put some senior officer, and his staff in the Puzzle Palace, out of work?  What would they do, if they couldn't come up with some new ridiculous means to recreate the wheel?

TN2IC said:
Can't vote for both???

*runs away*    ;D

Meh, I think I'm just going to get a shirt made that says "I got shot in Afghanistan"... that should do me for civies, and I think the wound stripe will do for uniform.

Back