• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saanich Bank Robbery/Aftermath (sep fm Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis)

The quick and easy answer is 'yes'. The benchmark the courts will use is 'reasonable expectation of privacy' and there is a tonne of caselaw on that. If you post something on the web with no privacy controls or filters, it can be argued that you had no reasonable expectation of privacy. The fact that people who you'd rather not see it, like the State, do see it will, in all likelihood, end up being irrelevant.

The next two questions might be (1) what the post was and (2) what the State did to find it ...
Something in this ballpark is making its way through the courts south of us ...

Something in this ballpark is making its way through the courts south of us ...
Yes, that will be interesting to watch. Of course, the article doesn't go into a lot of detail but on the surface it sounds like a bit of a 'fishing expedition'.

Yes, that will be interesting to watch. Of course, the article doesn't go into a lot of detail but on the surface it sounds like a bit of a 'fishing expedition'.
I’m pretty sure the police are busy enough - especially down south - to randomly start checking people search history about abortion.

There is enough crazy stuff happening south of the border, The last thing the police are going to want is to start ‘creating criminals’ - there are plenty of real ones to deal with already.

If we think violent incidents involving guns against police officers is bad now… just wait until they start interfering with people’s personal choices that they have no business interfering with. I can only see the number of incident getting exponentially worse.

______

Isn’t this supposed to be the land of the free?

Isn’t this why church and state is supposed to be separate, so people’s religious beliefs do not dictate laws that are applied to all?

Is there nothing in the constitution that protects people’s personal decisions?

(It’s OK for anybody to have a gun, no background checks required! But you can’t make a personal life choice without law enforcement getting involved, or proactively watching you before you do anything based on…a Google search?)

Do individual states have the power to ignore this decision?

And what your proposing goes directly against most of the rights and freedoms you enjoy in this country and if anything would turn more people against the government not for it.

When you have people who are anti-government and believe in conspiracies, why do you think giving them a minority report type system will help erase their fears and resentment towards it?

Not to mention they have the right to be so called ‘nut jobs’ and up until they robbed a bank appeared to have not committed any crimes. The government should not be determining what thought is or is not acceptable, thats how things like Chinas social credit system come into effect comrade.
I totally agree with you, on every point.

I am just respectfully pointing out that he didn’t propose anything, but was moreso just casually asking/brainstorming ideas.

Poor people! I can't imagine....

Prominent Vancouver Island family collateral victims of Victoria bank robbery​

Auchterlonie family issues statement regarding online harassment

When RCMP officers in Saanich released the identity of the two suspects in the botched Victoria robbery Saturday, a Comox Valley family’s life was turned upside down.

Susan and Bob Auchterlonie were shocked to discover they shared the surname of the two deceased bank robbers. But that is all they share.

The ensuing 48 hours have been so challenging for the Comox Valley Auchterlonies, they have issued the following statement to Black Press:

This past Saturday police identified the two deceased suspects in the recent bank robbery in Victoria. The two individuals are NOT related to the Auchterlonie family from Cumberland. We have never met them, and we have no connection to them beyond sharing a unique last name.

While this tragic event never was about us, it quickly spiralled, and our weekend was spent responding to media enquiries and attempting to respond to negative comments about us on social media. Because Bob holds a senior position in the Canadian Armed Forces, he became a target. The hurtful, harmful comments posted anonymously by strangers looking to come up with conspiracy theories about our family were despicable.

As noted this tragic event was never about us. It is instead about those impacted – the officers involved, the bank staff, the bank customers and all their families and loved ones, and yes, also the two young suspects and their loved ones. Ourthoughts are with all of them.

This weekend also offered a reminder to those of us who post on social media to get the facts first and to resist engaging in speculation.
While our weekend was challenging, we know there are several families who have had a much more difficult weekend than we did, and we ask that you think of them.

Thank you to our friends for their support.

Susan Auchterlonie,

Vice-Admiral Bob Auchterlonie,
and our families

To be fair, I’d be posted off too if I spent the entire long weekend needing to convince internet strangers that “No, it wasn’t our kids who robbed the bank and killed police officers…”

Especially if the rumours were starting to affect the career of myself or my spouse.

I guess it’s time to change the family name to Smith?

Is there nothing in the constitution that protects people’s personal decisions?
Not when it comes to terminating life of another.

(It’s OK for anybody to have a gun, no background checks required! But you can’t make a personal life choice without law enforcement getting involved, or proactively watching you before you do anything based on…a Google search?)
We have background checks.
Everyone buying a gun needs to fill out a 4473 that is run through NCIS.

Do individual states have the power to ignore this decision?
You mistake what the decision really was. It put the power back to the states.
Each state is now free to make its own laws on Abortion. Which to a lot of us on the Pro Life side, didn’t go far enough.

Not when it comes to terminating life of another.

We have background checks.
Everyone buying a gun needs to fill out a 4473 that is run through NCIS.

You mistake what the decision really was. It put the power back to the states.
Each state is now free to make its own laws on Abortion. Which to a lot of us on the Pro Life side, didn’t go far enough.
It is just crazy how so many misunderstand this. Which is fueled by nefarious media and political operatives.

It is just crazy how so many misunderstand this. Which is fueled by nefarious media and political operatives.

*Thank You for clarifying this. 🙏🏻

I actually had a ton of questions, but this song makes a lot more sense now that you’ve explained it that way.*

*I have attempted to steer clear of sensationalized media, and focus on the facts. The way you’ve explained it in just that one sentence brings more clarity to the issue than any media source I have read yet.

Reactions: QV
*Thank You for clarifying this. 🙏🏻

I actually had a ton of questions, but this song makes a lot more sense now that you’ve explained it that way.*

*I have attempted to steer clear of sensationalized media, and focus on the facts. The way you’ve explained it in just that one sentence brings more clarity to the issue than any media source I have read yet.
You will find that our opponents (external) fund both sides of the political extremes - both Politicians and Media.

It’s almost like their don’t want a moderate middle ground United against them ;)

One of the pictures from Victoria Buzz shows green tip 5.56. I wonder if any of that was used in the shootout?

Sooooooo...ummmmmmm...huh?
Somewhat tounge in cheek. Half of his social media pictures, opposite all those scary gun pictures, were of nature.

BC also has anti logging or anti oil people that conduct armed platoon sized attacks on encmapments.

Somewhat tounge in cheek. Half of his social media pictures, opposite all those scary gun pictures, were of nature.

BC also has anti logging or anti oil people that conduct armed platoon sized attacks on encmapments.
Many Many years ago Weibo Ludwig and his band of eco terrorists were suspect in spiking trees etc and other merry adventures.

Nature lovers can indeed be dangerous.

No sh*t Sherlock....

Police ‘justified’ in shooting of Saanich bank robbery suspects: IIO​

The report details the events of the June robbery, which led to the death of two suspects and the wounding of six officers

Of course had it been a civilian review board, they'd likely be castigating them for not trying to understand them better and talk them down in the middle of an all out gunfight...sorry, having flashbacks to issues with NDP on The Island.

Of course had it been a civilian review board, they'd likely be castigating them for not trying to understand them better and talk them down in the middle of an all out gunfight...sorry, having flashbacks to issues with NDP on The Island.
It’s the IIO. They are a civilian review board, and historically. Or super friendly to police. But yeah, this was a no brainer - but due process still has to be followed.

Back