• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russia dropped bomb in fron British destroyer

CT57

Inactive
Reaction score
Braking news on the BBC, Russia fired warning shot and dropped a bomb in front of a UK destroyer stating the ship had entered national waters.

The BBC updated their story:
Moscow's defence ministry said HMS Defender entered Russian territorial waters near Crimea while a patrol ship fired warning shots and a fighter jet dropped bombs in its path.

But the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said "no warning shots have been fired at HMS Defender".

It added that the ship was sailing in Ukrainian waters.

"The Royal Navy ship is conducting innocent passage through Ukrainian territorial waters in accordance with international law," the MoD said.

The MoD said the Russians were carrying out a gunnery exercise in the Black Sea and provided prior warning of their activity.

"No shots were directed at HMS Defender and we do not recognise the claim that bombs were dropped in her path," it added.

I would believe the UK on this. The Russians use "military exercises" excuse all the time when someone gets near Crimea. And they still follow the cold war rules so no one is surprised or has an accident.

This is actually one of the reasons the South China Sea is so sketchy. There are no agreed-upon "rules" or patterns that keep countries from having an accident.

British Uk GIF by GIPHY News

Recent article regarding an AIS spoofing event. Likely related?

Russia has now threatened to drop munitions directly on the ship should the British send another one on the same route. So what does the commander do in that situation? The ship has been threatened in advance, do you wait until the bombs are dropped before defending yourself or do you open fire when the aircraft comes within threat range? Someone is going to get hurt in this type of brinkmanship and it could easily be one of ours.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see HMS Defender go back along the same route….0.5nm further out…

Russia has now threatened to drop munitions directly on the ship should the British send another one on the same route. So what does the commander do in that situation? The ship has been threatened in advance, do you wait until the bombs are dropped before defending yourself or do you open fire when the aircraft comes within threat range? Someone is going to get hurt in this type of brinkmanship and it could easily be one of ours.
With radar tech the way it is, I'm sure any NATO ship can keep an eye on things from a new NM further out.

and watch as the rockets come off the rails. Too late.
If for the anti-ballistic missile scenario, perhaps. But just as a general presence patrol, a few NM wouldn't make that much of a difference, would it? (My geography knowledge of the area is based on images of maps via google, no experience in that neck of the woods.)

RN should live stream the return trip…maybe include an inset window with overhead scope view of all Russian assets, Naval and airborne…. 😉

And another inset showing the real time picture of the navigation radar, with a nice solid parallel index line set at 12.1 NM. Electronic charts use GPS and as we know, GPS can be spoofed locally without trace, but a radar can only be jammed, a clearly visible offensive measure that is not only illegal, but would void any claim that the Russians might want to make about entering their waters..

It wouldn’t surprise me to see HMS Defender go back along the same route….0.5nm further out…
That would be so British. I read during the Cold War the Soviets dropped sonobuoys in the Med to try and track NATO submarines. The US had no idea what to do about it. Mild panic ensued. The British destroyer in the task group just sailed up to the line of buoys and machine-gunned them all until they sunk. Then claimed they were navigation hazards...

And another inset showing the real time picture of the navigation radar, with a nice solid parallel index line set at 12.1 NM. Electronic charts use GPS and as we know, GPS can be spoofed locally without trace, but a radar can only be jammed, a clearly visible offensive measure that is not only illegal, but would void any claim that the Russians might want to make about entering their waters..
OGBD, and a GLONASS feed as well, so they can’t get away with GPS spoofing… 😉

Back