• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

......And I see we are rehashing what has already been posted in so many other threads on Running and Physical Fitness.  Do we really need ten thousand topics on the same thing?  Is your question so unique that you figure it hasn't been asked before?  Does the date of a post, really invalidate it?  ::)

Jogging is all fine and good but it is not what you should be doing to get in real shape.  The problem with fitness and I have noticed this a lot within the military is people seem to think they are going to get fit just by jogging, doing pushups and situps... what you are doing crisco is fine to begin with but once you reach the 5km mark you will find that you will plateau.  As someone said on here before if you can run 5km ... you can run 10km and so forth .... this is what is known as aerobic fitness... the problem you will encounter is you will never be able to increase speed or your intensity level and this is what real fitness training is all about... The type of training you need to start doing is what we call anerobic fitness.  This type of training is simply forcing your muscles to take in more oxygen so that they can work harder for longer periods of time....

What I suggest is you find yourself a good sprint program, and do interval training and fartlekking... doing this sort of training will allow you to see real results...  Also combine this training with plyometrics, core training and weight training.... hitting the weights is so important.... you will find that you will plateau at around 40 pushups if you hit the weights you will easily add another 20 to 30 pushups to that limit.  I used to be able to do 40 pushups, and that was it i would practice but not get any better, I put 20lbs of bulk on and I can break 70 now and to tell you the truth I didn't do any pushups to increase that.... I did a combination of weight training, and core strengthening to get there and voila if you do that you will be cranking them off in no time and you will be a lot stronger to boot... 

I am lucky in the fact that I am a varsity rugby player and our team is provided access to a fulltime kinesiologist who works with us and provides us with individual training programs.  If there is one thing he taught me about fitness its all about working smarter not harder which is something I think they forget sometimes when they do physical fitness in the military.  I have noticed a trend especially when observing lets say a PAT platoon... or whatever they call it now that the fitness instructors tend to focus a lot on simply trying to get these people to pass the Expres test.... while thats fine and dandy I think if they would like to see some real improvement in these individuals they need to get them out and show them how to train properly....

Just my two cents....

Just my two cents

I need some advice on running and a program to work with (Short term).  I started running about a month ago when I first applied, right now I can run for about 15 minutes although I have not yet tested my time/length.  To build up my speed as I currently run at a slow-medium jog speed, what should I be looking to do?  (I run on a indoor track) My program right now is: Power walk for 15minutes to warm-up, then jog (slow-med speed) for 10-15minutes, power walk for 5, then jog for another 10-15min, then walk again for another 10 minutes.  I know I need to get my speed up, I'm just not sure which is the best route as numerous friends tell me different things.  I'm running everyday as well.

Cheers

A good place to start: http://runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-380-381-386-0,00.html

P.S> Running every day is generally not a good way to start.

Nope, running every day can do more harm than good. Alternate it with a long walk or a hike in the woods, does more good than harm that way.

My current program, after about a two-year hiatus from any intense physical activity is as follows:

5KM RUN @ 70-80% max heartrate (aerobic capacity). 4 minute warmup/cooldown.
2.4KM RUN @ 80-90% max heartrate (anaerobic capacity). 5 minute warmup/cooldown.

Sunday: Rest day
Monday: 5km @ 70-80%
Tuesday: 5km @ 70-80%
Wednesday: 2.4km @ 80-90%
Thursday: 5km @ 70-80%
Friday: 5km @ 70-80%
Saturday: 2.4km @ 80-90%

I just started this program so I'll see how it works. Once I get a superior time for the 2.4km I'll replace one of the 5km's with an interval run, and one with a negative split run, and possibly increase the distances.

Lune - for your 2.4k run, are you sprinting flat out, or are you working in intervals? If you're able to maintain pace for more than a couple of minutes at a time, you're more than likely not working your anaerobic capacity.

Correct me if  I am wrong, but for a true anaerobic workout you would want to do something like:

warm-up
1 km run/jog
0.5 km print with everything you've got

I used to do something like this before I got hurt.

Hi,

When I was in the reserves, the summer PT during training mainly consisted of running (and 100s of pushups through out the day).  I ran "ok" but really had problems when I was running in formation behind several people, and that is what tired me out quickly more than anything else. I suspect it's because I have longer than average legs and my stride was longer than others.  What happens is when someone is out of lockstep with the group it throws the rythm off and then everyone starts going accordian-style which varys the pace trying to catch-up and slowing down, while making sure no one is stepped on.  When we formed up and I was at the front of the squad then I had no problems

My suggestion is to run with a partner if you can - or maybe a running group of sorts.  The group rythm is probably more important during long distance runs.  What killed me during the runs was the back pair sprinting to the front of the group and repeating throughout the 5-10ks.

J

I plant to do 11 minutes or less for my 2.4km run this coming weekend, after only managing 22 minutes for 2.67km this past weekend. This was partly my fault, as I didn't do any warm-ups, and just started sprinting from my front door.

For the experts on here....how would you advice me to take on the 2.4km run for someone my age group, 35 and over? Shoould I Start out jogging up to a point and then sprint?

Cheers

The best way to manage a run from 1k to a marathon, is to be able to run the second half faster than the first one. If you're running for long time you should know what's your average pace. Based on that numer run the first part at this pace and the second a bit faster.

So I went out this morning, and did the 2.4km in 16:26mins, this is an improvement on my 22:01mins from last week. I am not happy with this time obviously, and want to bring it down to within the allowed time for people my age group, 35 and over.

This time around, I didn't start of sprinting, I warmed up and then started slow, before increasing my pace. The path behind my house am running on, is a long path with fine gravel. I know I can do the time expected, but running alone doesn't help when you have no one to push you.

I have 3 full marathons under my belt ( London, LA and Stockholm ).All the people here that have done the 2.4km under 11mins, was this on a threadmill or on the road? My running shoes were chosen to fit my leg posture at the running room, and they are the new balance 858 activeR.

Training for marathon and training for shorter distance isn't the same thing at all ! As you know for marathon you have to do a lot of endurance doing long and slow run. For shorter dfistance, you have to work on interval and sprint. You body has to learn to run fast !

JS,

You'll find that the 858 is a bot lighter than its previous models (like the 857).  I am currently training for a half (already have a few half and full under my belt).  During the week I will run 6-8 km and tend to really put it all out there for the 6 km runs.  Don't run your shorter runs the same pace you do for the long runs.  It's only 2.4 km.  Get out there and try to go a little faster than is comfortable and don't let your mind wander.  Really, for a distance like that for someone who can put otu longer distances, it really is mind over matter.  If you start thinking it's hurting, tell yourself it's only about 15 minutes.  Compared to the 3+ hrs it takes for the full marathon (5+ in my case  ;D) it really makes it that much easier!

Thanks fellas! I know I can do this, and in my hay days, I could have blasted thru' 2.4km in 9 mins or less. My last full 26.2 miles marathon in LA, was 8 years ago. I am now 35 and been married for 5yrs. See what marriage does to ya  ;D

Running alone doesn't help either, I know if I was in a group, I'll be pushing to finish top as long as there is a good pace.

So what happens at St jean if God forbids one doesn't manage to come in under the time specified? I just seem to have too much on my plate right now, I am learning to swim 3 days a week and trying to squeeze in running every other day. Also am on the road 4hrs a day driving to and from work.

Do any of you use the "roll on" stuff for muscle and cramp pains? Just want to know if they work and which one to get

Strike said:
JS,

You'll find that the 858 is a bot lighter than its previous models (like the 857).  I am currently training for a half (already have a few half and full under my belt).  During the week I will run 6-8 km and tend to really put it all out there for the 6 km runs.  Don't run your shorter runs the same pace you do for the long runs.  It's only 2.4 km.  Get out there and try to go a little faster than is comfortable and don't let your mind wander.  Really, for a distance like that for someone who can put otu longer distances, it really is mind over matter.  If you start thinking it's hurting, tell yourself it's only about 15 minutes.  Compared to the 3+ hrs it takes for the full marathon (5+ in my case  ;D) it really makes it that much easier!

Thanks for this mate! I did everything you suggested and  I went back to my old adidas running shoes, as supposed to the new "new balance 858 acteva ) I got.

I found that the new balance were slightly heavy on my feet cos they were size 13 ( my running shoe size ) from that manufacturer, bu the adidas looked slightly smaller and not as heavy.

I breathe in thru the nose and mouth and out thru the mouth every 2 steps. I had no cramps and I did 5k this morning with a sprint at the end in 32mins.

As suggested, am going to keep a steady pace and increase my distance 4 days a week.

jacksparrow said:
Thanks fellas! I know I can do this, and in my hay days, I could have blasted thru' 2.4km in 9 mins or less. My last full 26.2 miles marathon in LA, was 8 years ago. I am now 35 and been married for 5yrs. See what marriage does to ya  ;D

Running alone doesn't help either, I know if I was in a group, I'll be pushing to finish top as long as there is a good pace.

So what happens at St jean if God forbids one doesn't manage to come in under the time specified? I just seem to have too much on my plate right now, I am learning to swim 3 days a week and trying to squeeze in running every other day. Also am on the road 4hrs a day driving to and from work.

In St Jean they will test you with a 20 meter shuttle run, not a 2.4k.

jacksparrow said:

Hi JS
All I can say is keep running.  When I started running before BMQ I was doing the 2.4 km in over 20 minutes.  By the time I left I was running the 2.4 km in around 15 minutes.  I too led a very busy life before I went but thought I would do alright physically.  Boy, was I wrong.  I ended up on RFT (recruit fitness training), great program, harder than h@%%.  You definately do not want to end up there!  Too many people get broken there.  However, now that I am done BMQ I can run my 2.5 km in uder 12 minutes, not too bad for a 31 yr old, who was out of shape before she went :)  All I can suggest is to find some really good music to run to and try to run a little farther, faster each time.  For instance, if you are outside running, sprint from one telephone pole to the next, slow down to a normal run for 2 or 3 poles and keep sprinting more, taking less breaks between the sprints as you can.  This helped me and my instructor recommended that to me.  I have been and always will be a slow long distance runner, I am still trying to speed up; however, due to stress fractures on my left foot, gotten while on RFT, I am slowly getting myself fixed too, along with trying to run faster.   
Ahhh, running for me can take place outside or in on the track, I hate running on treadmills personnally.  My pace is mostly the same in either place; however, inside is nice as there are no hills :)  There are no hills around the Mega.
Let's see, if you don't come under the time alotted for the Express Test, the result is RFT (see comment above,you do NOT want to end up there!, besides being very physically demanding and placing you in a position to get injured, you are in St. Jean for longer than you should be).  If you make the Express Test and are slow on the runs, be prepared to see the not so smiling faces of your platoon swinging back to pick you up.  If you're last in the platoon be prepared to get yelled at, alot!  I was never that far back, mind you some days I could till hear the instructor yelling the the people who were. 
As for pain rub ons, I recommend Tiger Balm, great for the pain and sends instructors away quickly due to the smell :)
Let's see, final note, you say you are busy busy right now, I can understand that, here is my little bit of information for you to consider... if you fail the express test you could end up on RFT or released.  If you fail the swim test you end up taking make up classes for 8 weeks, then after that you retest and if you pass, great, if you fail it is a note on your file stating that you failed the test and need to take more classes.  Notice the difference between consequences?  If you're worried about any part of your physical level I would focus on that.
So all I can say in closing, I know, long post :)  Good luck and keep up the hard work, you will definately see an improvement on your running time as you continue to push yourself and soon enough you will be running with the pack.

Wow....Newmet, you gave a good insight into what to expect at st jean and I like the picture you painted of the test, it really put things into perspective. One thing am still not clear on though, if we are not going to be tested on the 2.4km run, why is it everywhere that you have to finish in a certain time according to your age?

Someone else mentioned the  20m shuttle run above, what does that entail and how is it tested, individually or as a group? Am confused

Cheers

PS: by the look of things right now, I think am going to be able to do the 50m, 20m, 3m jump and somersault swim, but my treading is still letting me down.

Back